• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Made in Abyss, My Hero Academia Win Big at Crunchyroll's Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

While I agree there were a number better animated series than MHA last year, compared to last year's winner in the category, MHA seems like a reasonable choice, given how driven the awards are by popularity. I don't mind it going to MHA when fellow Bones anime Mob Psycho 100 got robbed in the category last year.

I agree with that. Though I don't think it necessarily makes up for the mistakes of last year. And also don't think that being better mostly by sheer coincidence of the fact that MHA actually IS well animated as well as being popular, is much to praise it for. If the most popular show had been a different shonen with less impressive production values, I would expect the same result.

Quote:

I've said this elsewhere but I don't agree with imposing such minimum credentials on anyone but perhaps judges. I watch 30+ new series each season but I wouldn't say my opinion is any more indicative of what is truly the best than that of someone who only watches 5-10 new shows a year, but only the best 5-10 shows as far as they can tell. Certainly some of those watch what one might term entry level anime, but there are plenty of others who have grown tired of much of what comes out season after season, and only pick up what seem to be the cream of the crop, and I don't know that there is a minimum credential that would weed out the former and not the latter, though I think the former are just as much anime fans as any of us and thereby deserve to be represented in such decisions as any of us. To say nothing of how restricting who can vote could (further) harm the event's popular legitimacy with not unreasonable claims of elitism.

I understand how this sounds, but functionally, they are already doing this with the weighted judge votes. I don't necessarily mean you should eliminate the popular vote, but if people are going to complain about these results every year, these kinds of changes are going to need to happen.
And as per your own comment "as far as they can tell" is exactly the problem. Of course most people think that they are watching the best stuff of the year, but you can only judge what you've seen. That's how you have hard to comprehend tweets like "wow, 2017 was awful for anime, there was only such-and-such that was good" and "why are all anime the same these days?".
You might not think you are more qualified, but having seen well over 100 shows this year, at the very least, you have seen the vast majority of the nominations and that gives you an inherent advantage.
Also, by the very nature of the shows they are attracted to, the type of fan who only watches 10 shows per year that are all niche critical darlings, is inherently a much much smaller segment of the fandom than the millions who only watch shonen. As much as I've made this argument, I don't actually agree with limiting voting based on credentials, for starters simply because it would be difficult to prove any of that stuff. But the suggestion seems like what other people would require to solve their issues. Basically make this the Oscars. But hopefully with better judges, which is something I am not confident they could do.
I feel like I'm being trapped(by myself) into saying some questionable and elitist things that I don't necessarily agree with entirely just to prop up my argument, but simply put, if you want this to be a serious awards show, the popular vote needs to play a less important role, judges need to be vetted, and nominations need to be limited.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I never said that the show didn't deserve any of its nominations, it deserved a good number of them, and I genuinely do think it was one of the best shows of the year. It was well animated, well written, has fun characters, a genuinely engaging story, and all of that. But this was a very strong year, and while many categories are subjective, I would say it pretty unequivocally did not deserve Best Animation.

Well we will have to agree to disagree then. No show this year had as much personality in it's animation then MHA. Studio BONES clearly know Horikoshi's character super well now and it really shows in how they bring them to life. Also well nothing can beat any of the high animation moments brought by MHA.
Quote:

What? I'm not sure I follow, but assuming you mean that you shouldn't have some sort of minimum credentials to vote, I think it depends on what you're going for. Is this supposed to be a genuine Awards show? Do they want it to have legitimacy for marketing purposes? Is it supposed to highlight the best content of the year? Then having a minimum level of credentials is completely reasonable.
If it is meant to be a community-fan event just-for-fun that confirms the already obvious most popular content of the year, sure, lets leave it as it is.
Considering that they are already weighting judge votes, and presenting it like this... I'm leaning toward them viewing this as more of an official Awards ceremony and less of a community-fan thing just for fun.

They literally started the show saying it was a show from fans to fans. It's a events that's supposed to bring fans together and celebrate the highlights of last year. Having fans participate is the the big drive here. It gives the fan a sense of implication in this big world of anime he/she like. Gating them out because they didn't watch a required amount of anime would be the worst possible thing Crunchyroll would do. It would 1) drive people away and 2) Promote elitism in the anime community, which us as fans should never wish for and which Crunchyroll wouldn't want either since they are aiming for the biggest audience possible.

And really...do YOU really want to isolate the anime culture even more? Do you want want some *expert*-wannabe to tell you what anime he declares the best of the year? I would never want that. It would be the worst.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
To GoldCrusader's point and from my last post, favoritism can't be effectively eliminated where people are concerned, the real question is who's opinions do you want to see represented in awards such as this? A group of industry insiders (AMPAS style) or the maximum number of viewers, for which this stuff is for ultimately anyway? I vote for CR's approach to having insiders suggest a limited pick and then leaving it to the public with an "other" write-in category. However, I'd eliminate the 50/50 judge/public weighing.
The judges pick the category choices which is what 99% of people will select and they get 50% of the deciding vote which means that it is closer to an industry awards show. That isn't a problem except that Crunchyroll portrays it as a popularity awards show which is how people who agree with the results tend to talk about it. This hybrid model does guarantee more political correctness in the awards show which is the intended purpose.

Last edited by Chrono1000 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

I never said that the show didn't deserve any of its nominations, it deserved a good number of them, and I genuinely do think it was one of the best shows of the year. It was well animated, well written, has fun characters, a genuinely engaging story, and all of that. But this was a very strong year, and while many categories are subjective, I would say it pretty unequivocally did not deserve Best Animation.

Well we will have to agree to disagree then. No show this year had as much personality in it's animation then MHA. Studio BONES clearly know Horikoshi's character super well now and it really shows in how they bring them to life. Also well nothing can beat any of the high animation moments brought by MHA.

I'm glad you found so much to love about MHA, but honestly, I think LWA had more personality and movement in just a few episodes than MHA did throughout the entire season. I think MHA did a great job with those character designs, but they really just aren't that flexible and malleable. So a lot of the character animation ends up feeling kind of stilted and wooden outside of action scenes to me.
Anyway, I'm sure we'll never agree on this, but I wanted to get my last word in there. haha sorry. Razz

Quote:

They literally started the show saying it was a show from fans to fans. It's a events that's supposed to bring fans together and celebrate the highlights of last year. Having fans participate is the the big drive here. It gives the fan a sense of implication in this big world of anime he/she like. Gating them out because they didn't watch a required amount of anime would be the worst possible thing Crunchyroll would do. It would 1) drive people away and 2) Promote elitism in the anime community, which us as fans should never wish for and which Crunchyroll wouldn't want either since they are aiming for the biggest audience possible.

And really...do YOU really want to isolate the anime culture even more? Do you want want some *expert*-wannabe to tell you what anime he declares the best of the year? I would never want that. It would be the worst.

I feel like a lot of events claim to be "by fans for fans" but are only that way on technicality at best. The real purpose for an event like this is obviously exposure and marketing for CR as a brand, but it has the potential to be something more than that. I'm actually not in favor of a few of the limitations that I've suggested, as I mentioned just above you, especially not limiting the popular vote based on too-difficult-to-prove credentials, but I do think that a weighted score like they they did this year, with better judges who can prove strong credentials, and more properly vetted nominations, is the way for this to go.
And I know it's unpopular, but I still think their should be a definitive cap on how many nominations a single series can get. I'm surprised it's such a maligned suggestion, honestly, and I was amused that many of my Facebook friends who debated me about this a few weeks ago are now whining extensively about MHA having too many wins. I just don't ever see a situation where a single show deserves to win nearly half of all the categories in a medium with 200+ shows coming out every year. There are plenty of extremely strong candidates that could easily take those spots.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Chocoreto wrote:
yet you dare to vote for anything else for anime of the year, best continuation, best ost...

And this is where people stop taking this seriously. If it was a different year, I would somewhat understand, but nothing was going to beat Kevin Penkin’s score if anybody had listened to it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Do you want want some *expert*-wannabe to tell you what anime he declares the best of the year? I would never want that. It would be the worst.

By this logic you are implying that the opinions of professional anime critics are worthless. As an example, I might not always agree with the critics at ANN, but I value their opinions way more than the opinions of a random fan online.

Opinions are just opinions, and you can disagree with them. There is no need to get bent out of shape.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Do you want want some *expert*-wannabe to tell you what anime he declares the best of the year? I would never want that. It would be the worst.

Follow up to my last comment: Also, to your last point. Yes, I do want professional critics and people who are charismatic with strong writing skills to tell me what their favorite shows of the year are. They usually make strong arguments and I enjoy engaging in the activity of reading good criticism, as well as criticizing things myself. I don't need one person to determine the best of the year, but I do like to read individual opinions on their personal bests, and a large pool, not just one or two, of well vetted critics determining the best show of the year does not bother me at all. It, frankly, does hold more value to me than something winning a popular vote because it's mainstream.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

By this logic you are implying that the opinions of professional anime critics are worthless. As an example, I might not always agree with the critics at ANN, but I value their opinions way more than the opinions of a random fan online.

Opinions are just opinions, and you can disagree with them. There is no need to get bent out of shape.

relyat08 wrote:

Follow up to my last comment: Also, to your last point. Yes, I do want professional critics and people who are charismatic with strong writing skills to tell me what their favorite shows of the year are. They usually make strong arguments and I enjoy engaging in the activity of reading good criticism, as well as criticizing things myself. I don't need one person to determine the best of the year, but I do like to read individual opinions on their personal bests, and a large pool, not just one or two, of well vetted critics determining the best show of the year does not bother me at all. It, frankly, does hold more value to me than something winning a popular vote because it's mainstream.

Now I didn't say to not go and read a review site and read a persons opinion. I like to engage in conversations like that too.(Too the point of annoying a mod a lot.) What I was saying is that for community events like that, having some experts decide the AOTY with no community input would be the worst. And I wouldn't want that for an event like the Anime Awards. A community vote is way more interesting. ANN does it ok with there personal fav and the whole community vote.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I agree with that. Though I don't think it necessarily makes up for the mistakes of last year. And also don't think that being better mostly by sheer coincidence of the fact that MHA actually IS well animated as well as being popular, is much to praise it for. If the most popular show had been a different shonen with less impressive production values, I would expect the same result.

While the result for the Best Animation was better by the coincidence of the most popular show also being well animated, I don't think MHA being popular and well animated is coincidental. While Boruto and Black Clover are popular in terms of views (both are consistently in the top ten most watched on CR), neither are the phenomenon that MHA is. The strength of the story is definitely part of it, but I think the production values are also a factor, both by itself and in enhancing the story. It's no coincidence that it was MHA and not Boruto or Black Clover that got picked, and I think it is more than just the vetting of the nominees.

relyat08 wrote:
I understand how this sounds, but functionally, they are already doing this with the weighted judge votes. I don't necessarily mean you should eliminate the popular vote, but if people are going to complain about these results every year, these kinds of changes are going to need to happen.
And as per your own comment "as far as they can tell" is exactly the problem. Of course most people think that they are watching the best stuff of the year, but you can only judge what you've seen. That's how you have hard to comprehend tweets like "wow, 2017 was awful for anime, there was only such-and-such that was good" and "why are all anime the same these days?".
You might not think you are more qualified, but having seen well over 100 shows this year, at the very least, you have seen the vast majority of the nominations and that gives you an inherent advantage.
Also, by the very nature of the shows they are attracted to, the type of fan who only watches 10 shows per year that are all niche critical darlings, is inherently a much much smaller segment of the fandom than the millions who only watch shonen. As much as I've made this argument, I don't actually agree with limiting voting based on credentials, for starters simply because it would be difficult to prove any of that stuff. But the suggestion seems like what other people would require to solve their issues. Basically make this the Oscars. But hopefully with better judges, which is something I am not confident they could do.
I feel like I'm being trapped(by myself) into saying some questionable and elitist things that I don't necessarily agree with entirely just to prop up my argument, but simply put, if you want this to be a serious awards show, the popular vote needs to play a less important role, judges need to be vetted, and nominations need to be limited.

While in terms of seeing most of the nominees (I saw all but Girls und Panzer Der Film and All Out) I can see having a better idea of the quality of all the nominees than someone who has only seen a few shows, but aside from more technical categories like Animation, Score, and CGI, I don't feel any more qualified than someone who has only seen one of the nominees. Now that probably speaks more to the vetting of the nominees (which could still be improved) than as a statement about people's taste per se, but the more I've seen of people's tastes, the more I think they are different and not better or worse, and these awards are no exception. I do agree that more care needs to be taken in making sure that one show isn't over-represented in the nominations.
Crext

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:20 pm Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:

Glad that Made in Abyss got AoTY. I don't think anyone will deny that My Hero Academia got too many awards - while they seem to have tried to iron out some of the kinks in the selection process from last year, they still have a ways to go. As for the awards that MHA got, I'll give it best action and hero (seems fairly fair) and I won't dispute best boy, but Chise should have won best girl, and best animation, opening, and villain? Best animation should have gone to either Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid or A Silent Voice (you really can't beat KyoAni). Tanya Degurechaff should have taken best villain (though I haven't seen the second half of MHA s2, so I don't have an opinion on Stain), and I still can't believe Inuyashiki wasn't even nominated for best OP. Honestly, that category was kind of crap, since Re:Creators didn't get a nod either.

The rest of the awards seem like fairly solid choices.

I agree with this person completely.

The award givers needs to realize that people who only know 1 show when looking up the nominees will vote for that one option regardless of category. It turns into a popularity contest rather than a competence contest if you got no balancing mechanisms in place.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
A community vote is way more interesting.

No, it is predictable and boring.

Quote:
ANN does it ok with there personal fav and the whole community vote.

Assuming you are referring to ANN's end of the year, best of lists, their system is not perfect either, but I prefer it because it gives more weight to the opinions of professional critics.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Because an expert choices would be less boring and less predictable? Do you really believe that? I don't. Mainly if they are more then 1 and have to commonly agree.

Quote:

Assuming you are referring to ANN's end the year, best of lists, their system is not perfect either, but I prefer it because professional critics are involved.

I was referring too the thing they make where they each tell us their top 5 of the year which is then followed by a community vote with a all show being a choice. You have both this way and everyone is satisfied.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Because an expert choices would be less boring and less predictable? Do you really believe that? I don't. Mainly if they are more then 1 and have to commonly agree.

I definitely believe it. I always see more interesting choices from critics than I do from fandom polls. I can just head over to CR and MAL to look at the top of the list any time I want to know what is popular. An awards show that just reiterates that is boring and predictable.
And I've never found the critics on most sites to "commonly agree" on things they don't actually agree on, but I don't venture much beyond a few specific blogs and ANN, so maybe I'm missing that.

zrnzle500 wrote:
While in terms of seeing most of the nominees (I saw all but Girls und Panzer Der Film and All Out) I can see having a better idea of the quality of all the nominees than someone who has only seen a few shows, but aside from more technical categories like Animation, Score, and CGI, I don't feel any more qualified than someone who has only seen one of the nominees. Now that probably speaks more to the vetting of the nominees (which could still be improved) than as a statement about people's taste per se, but the more I've seen of people's tastes, the more I think they are different and not better or worse, and these awards are no exception. I do agree that more care needs to be taken in making sure that one show isn't over-represented in the nominations.

I get what you're trying to say, and I wholeheartedly agree that no one's taste is objectively superior than another's, but I think you are inherently more qualified simply by having watched nearly all of the shows. Not saying you can judge their quality "objectively", but you can judge them in your own mind based on your own opinion, which is something that someone who has only watched one nominee can NOT do. Their taste certainly holds equal value to anyone else, but if they are voting in a poll with multiple options, they can't make a qualified decision on the "best" of them even in their own opinion. It's the best one they've seen, but that's not saying much if you have only seen one of them.
I guess you're making the argument that they know what they like, and they wouldn't like any of the other choices, because "such and such mainstream genre" is their thing, but having known many previously picky media consumers who now watch nearly everything, I think that is more of a self-fulfilling prophecy and a close-minded transition period than anything concrete. They usually haven't ventured far enough to find the good stuff.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
A community vote is way more interesting.

Why than does Crunchyroll keep promoting the Anime Awards as though it was determined by popular vote? If people didn't care about what was most popular than Crunchyroll would change the judge deciding vote from 50% to 100% and than they wouldn't even need the online voting. I wouldn't have a problem with that change since at least than everyone would know that it is based on the judges opinions.

For example imagine that during the 2020 Crunchyroll Anime Awards that the Anime of the Year was voted on by the judges. My Lesbian Romance on the Soccer Field got 1% of the popular vote vs Vampire Space War with 99% of the popular vote. If all the judges voted for My Lesbian Romance on the Soccer Field than it wins Anime of the Year which basically invalidates the point of having the popular vote.

Crunchyroll wants the allure of a popular vote but they aren't trusting enough to allow that to happen. The feminists complained about Rem winning Best Girl last year so Crunchyroll went out of their way to not have any sexy girls in the Best Girl category this year. The careful selection is becoming more obvious with every passing year.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
The best boy and girl categories are too subjective for me to say that the choices are objectively correct or incorrect - unlike last year when Rem was crowned best girl Smile - but I agree that they could have done more to prevent MHA from doubling up. One of the judges from last year mentioned this in his video going over this year's nominees, but apparently if it was done like it was the previous year, the judges submitted their top picks for each category, and the top 6 of the aggregate of their votes became the nominees of the category. Given how widely watched MHA was, not only among fans but also critics, it wouldn't surprise me that more than one of MHA's characters could have made it to the top of the judges choices. They should have gone through them to make sure one show wasn't over-represented, but I don't see the need to make it out as nefarious. It's not a conspiracy, you just disagree with the results.

I didn't know they (possibly) did it like that. If that's so, it kind of makes sense that MHA ended up in so many categories - even doubling down on two categories, as this season saw a bigger and more endearing focus on Todoroki and Tsuyu than it did on the most important boy and the most important girl. Reaching this list through some sort of discussion would have been extremely unlikely.
This also makes last year's awards funny, did the judges really like Kabaneri that much? Who were they even that the opinion that VIVA made a good villain was so prevalent? Laughing
Anyway, I must remain a bit sceptical. Yuri on Ice's domination brought a lot of backlash and diminished their credibility so one would think they'd try to prevent that scenario from repeating itself... but they didn't. They have allowed the same scenario to happen again, for the most part, so I'm a bit inclined to believe that it benefits them.

relyat08 wrote:
It's a lot more simple than that. The Judges voted almost unanimously for Made in Abyss, which off-set the MHA domination from the popular vote. Judges having weighted votes at 50% saved this year's Awards, honestly.

I actually didn't watch the awards since I wasn't that interested. Good to know and good save.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9