×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Just 4 Days Left to Enter the Pumpkin Carving Contest! • The competition is heating up but there's still time to enter for a chance to win over US$1,000 in anime DVDs and swag! Click to find out how! read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Myriad Colors Phantom World BD+DVD


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
angelmcazares



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4697
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
Myriad Colors Phantom World is an uninspired and dull anime; the lewd fanservice and top notch visuals are its only highlights. As far as I am concerned, it is a black mark on KyoAni's mostly stellar trajectory.

Nick Creamer giving this show an overall B grade suggests to me that he is a Kyoto Animation fanboy who would defend anything that studio produces.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8133
Location: IL
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
I thought the rabbit episode was good because it actually dealt with understanding Reina more fully as a character and in particular her family situation. I wish the series spent more time with episodes like that which dealt with building characters instead of just random monster-of-the-week-for-the-hell-of-it that most of the episodes turned out to be.

The 'battle two girls on a bridge' had a chance to be a character-building episode for Mai, but the end result was basically nothing. All we learned was that Mai was sociable as a little girl (who could have guessed) and that she's rather forgetful of friends she has made. That's not development.


Last edited by Megiddo on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Morgan B.



Joined: 05 Jun 2017
Posts: 58
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Myriad Colors Phantom World is an uninspired and dull anime; the lewd fanservice and top notch visuals are its only highlights. As far as I am concerned, it is a black mark on KyoAni's mostly stellar trajectory.

Nick Creamer giving this show an overall B grade suggests to me that he is a Kyoto Animation fanboy who would defend anything that studio produces.

I can agree with your point. Instead of just focusing on adapting another “harem-based” light novel series, why can’t KyoAni go for something other than that? I want to see them expirement more with other genres like what they did in “Free!” or this season’s “Violet Evergarden”. I want to see something original and, for once, not something that dwells a lot on the given genre.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spike Terra



Joined: 21 Mar 2016
Posts: 253
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Phantom World is one of my top Kyo Ani shows but I can see why it's not a show for everyone. I found the humor to be on point and the episodic story telling never grew stale for me with the exception of a couple of duds (not even I can defend the monkey hot spring episode). My favorite episode has to go to episode 11, where Mai has to take care of a child version Haruhiko. I think the episode did a great job of showcasing Mai's strengths as she struggles maintain her new responsibilities as a (temporary) mother and the financial burdens that she already had.

I thought Haruhiko was a fun protagonist who always kept the show engaging with his often useless ramblings about science, literature and various other topics. Hell I loved the whole cast but I wish Koito got more screen time because I didn't get to know her as much as the other members of the cast.

Thanks for the review, Nick. It feels great to remember Phantom World as I trudge through the well made pile of boredom that is Violet Evergarden.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GhostD



Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 707
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
His name is Haruhiko not Hirohiko
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3712
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Morgan B. wrote:
I can agree with your point. Instead of just focusing on adapting another “harem-based” light novel series, why can’t KyoAni go for something other than that? I want to see them expirement more with other genres like what they did in “Free!” or this season’s “Violet Evergarden”. I want to see something original and, for once, not something that dwells a lot on the given genre.


I think you got the wrong bete noire there. If anything they are known for moe SoL, even if I find that characterization a bit reductive. Aside from this and Haruhi, KyoAni hasn't really done a "harem-based" light novel, and Haruhi might be a little bit of a stretch. Let's see, they've made 5 TV anime based on Key's visual novels, two seasons of Full Metal Panic (non-harem light novel), Lucky Star (4-koma manga) two seasons and a film of K-On (4-koma manga), Nichijou (comedy manga), Hyouka (regular novel), two seasons and some films of Chu2koi (non harem light novel), a TV season and a film for Tamako Market (original), two seasons, multiple films and an upcoming third season of Free, one TV season and some films for Beyond the Boundary (non harem light novel), Amagi Brilliant Park (non harem light novel), two seasons and multiple films of Sound Euphonium (regular novel), Dragon Maid (manga), A Silent Voice (manga), and the upcoming Tsurune, based on regular novels and looks similar in genre to Free, but with archery instead of swimming. I'm not saying that KyoAni does a wide array of genres but "harem-based" light novels isn't what their known for.

As for Phantom World, I'd say I largely agree with Nick here. It is not their best work, story wise, but I thought it was fun at least, to say nothing of their usual production values.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Animegomaniac



Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Posts: 3537
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I'd stick by my thought after watching the first episode limbo spectacular: "How impressively unimpressive". It's quite a bit shorter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lemonchest



Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Posts: 1771
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I like to think KyoAni picked this up simply because they had a hole in their production schedule & needed something to keep their staff busy. At times, though, the cynic in me thought this is as close as KyoAni will get to FLCL - as in its a show more about letting their animators let loose than anything more substantial or business minded.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joshua Zarate
I Pause For PantsuI Pause For Pantsu


Joined: 12 Jan 2017
Posts: 1917
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
I like to think KyoAni picked this up simply because they had a hole in their production schedule & needed something to keep their staff busy. At times, though, the cynic in me thought this is as close as KyoAni will get to FLCL - as in its a show more about letting their animators let loose than anything more substantial or business minded.

I like to think that also. When I first read the synopsis of this when it was first coming out, it didn’t really sound all that interesting to me and was a little surprised that Kyoto Animation would be on board for such a project. That’s basically the main reason why I didn’t watch it, and now looking at how it’s been received, it looks like I didn’t miss much by not watching the show and that’s fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Psycho 101
Moderator


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 15233
Location: Inn of the Last Home
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Nick Creamer giving this show an overall B grade suggests to me that he is a Kyoto Animation fanboy who would defend anything that studio produces.


Yes because anyone giving a decent rating to a show you don't like must obviously be a fanboy/fangirl. Thanks for enlightening us. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Zalis116
Moderator


Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 6568
Location: Kazune City
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation's Phantom World release is fairly standard. The show comes in a slipcase and blu-ray case, and there are no physical extras. On-disc extras are limited to some commercials, trailers, and the textless opening/closing, along with a commentary track by the dub cast for episode seven.
According to the ANN release page and Funimation's site, these discs should have the 7 "Limitless Phantom World" omakes from the JP release. Can anyone confirm whether those shorts are present or not?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4086
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Myriad Colors Phantom World is an uninspired and dull anime; the lewd fanservice and top notch visuals are its only highlights. As far as I am concerned, it is a black mark on KyoAni's mostly stellar trajectory.

Nick Creamer giving this show an overall B grade suggests to me that he is a Kyoto Animation fanboy who would defend anything that studio produces.


not really. if that was the case, then other series that had a psuedo harem esque style like this series would have given a pass. does it have big faults? sure. but i wouldnt necessarily call it uninspired and dull at the slightest. also kyoani have to make the series faithful to the source materials.

i mean if they had did what you wanted, then the light novel fans would more or less go into a tizzy fit and pretty much call the series non canon. THAT itself would put a bigger black mark on kyoani than anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
angelmcazares



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4697
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Nick Creamer giving this show an overall B grade suggests to me that he is a Kyoto Animation fanboy who would defend anything that studio produces.


Yes because anyone giving a decent rating to a show you don't like must obviously be a fanboy/fangirl. Thanks for enlightening us. Wink

Except that the show seems to be universally disliked; I am not alone. I have disliked other shows that a lot of people like, but I have no problems if said shows are of high quality. Phantom World is a low quality show that I and plenty of other people dislike.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Greed1914
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 3587
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
Funimation's Phantom World release is fairly standard. The show comes in a slipcase and blu-ray case, and there are no physical extras. On-disc extras are limited to some commercials, trailers, and the textless opening/closing, along with a commentary track by the dub cast for episode seven.
According to the ANN release page and Funimation's site, these discs should have the 7 "Limitless Phantom World" omakes from the JP release. Can anyone confirm whether those shorts are present or not?


I can confirm they are there with Japanese audio. Also, the standard release doesn't have physical extras, but that it part of being the standard version. The LE has physical extras.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3712
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Except that the show seems to be universally disliked; I am not alone. I have disliked other shows that a lot of people like, but I have no problems if said shows are of high quality. Phantom World is a low quality show that I and plenty of other people dislike.


It is certainly panned by many, but it isn’t universally disliked. Its average rating on this site is ~7.3 (Good+ in qualitative terms), and its episode ratings were in line with that, if not higher in the last three episodes (4.0, 4.2, 4.0 respectively). That’s low for KyoAni but that’s still positive overall. MAL’s average is also 7. After giving the first three episodes a C+, Theron gave the rest of the episodes B- to B+, which is in line with Nick’s B, and I don’t think anyone would accuse him of being a fanboy with regard to KyoAni. Not to mention that Phantom World is very much not a low quality work visually.

Even if none of that were true, I think Nick has duly considered both the positives and the negatives of the show in this review, so I think accusing him of just blindly defending the show regardless of its quality is off base just because you don’t rate the show as positively as he does.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group