• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Fat People Ridiculed In Anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Considering that, I have a question about the opposite: How high is the percentage of eating disorders in Japan?
Yunho

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
really interesting to hear that for a woman a 90cm waist is recommended for medical counseling, here in the us my waist is about 84 cm and im still a woman's small / medium
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
There's no powerful far-reaching multi-million lobby in Japan pushing for the acceptance of obesity. Even though Japan is one of the most prosperous and wealthy nations on the planet, it seems that the overly-sensitive, professional offense-takers who thrive on the most first-world of first-world problems do not have a foothold in the country.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

I am glad to hear that.

However, Zac, do you think being a foreigner (or especially a foreigner who does not have Asian appearances) helps? Because during my childhood in China and Japan, being fat is all they need to ridicule and judge someone. We were literally taught that being overweight will render you into a "worthless" individual, "being fat is a sin because you choose to be that way"....

I should've been clearer - I am absolutely speaking only to my experience as a tourist. "As an overweight tourist, you'll be OK" was what I was saying. I obviously cannot speak to the experience of someone from that culture and would defer to someone like yourself for that; thank you for sharing your experience here.
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
As a former fat person, I am more aware of the differences in treatment between fat and non-fat people, and this is one of those things that has always bothered me about Japanese media.

Please tell me how you lost the weight!!!!

And in anime as a whole, my weight is the whole reason why I'm afraid to cosplay.
pauladls

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
In the real life too
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Some people are physically incapable of losing weight.

like hypothyroidism, which my mom has.

I was 274 and now 148, but its not easy too lose weight, i have an OCD personality and even 5 calories in a sugar free gum affects me, sometimes i felt happier before i lost the weight and didn't count each calorie.
CrispyCritter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
1% OF that 3.5%.
In other words, of Japan's 127M people, roughly 4.445M are overweight, having gone down only 44,450 people. 1% is statistically insignificant, because that number can be attributed to a rounding or a sampling error.

That sounds like a huge impact for the program. Being able to stay about constant in this time period is amazing. The United States went from about 31% to 38% in this time period? (this is rough interpolation from graphs, and I'm not sure of the exact dates.) So in other words, just the increase in the US rate is about twice the entire Japanese rate!

It's especially amazing given the population that grew up in the WWII and occupation era scarcity is dying off from old age. All those people learned to eat less from necessity.
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Don't want to be mean but I'm a bit puzzled as to why the question was asked as the answer to anyone should be obvious, even taking aside the cultural differences fat people have been mocked for as long as I can remember in every medium. I guess if you're a lot younger then you probably missed that stuff in media though.

Sure it's less so now in the western culture of being offended by everything and 'fat acceptance' but they can be mocked like any other person or any shape, size, etc.

I was fat once (for a damn long time), being shamed, laughed at etc. pushed me into losing weight and I am glad for that, I would not have changed without it. It turned my life around and was fairly easy to do from my perspective. It is not the same for everyone granted but if it doesn't make you want to lose weight and are still offended then grow a thicker skin.

Learning a bit more about Japans attitudes to obesity and what they've done though just puts us western countries to shame really.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
The weight-loss episode of Sailor Moon is a perfect example of this. In the original Japanese version, Usagi was pressured by Luna to loose weight, even though she wasn’t remotely heavy. In the North American DiC version, it was changed to Luna mocking “Serena” for being too obsessive over her weight. The difference is interesting. The Viz dub sort of found a balance between the two.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Culture is one thing. On an individual level, shaming someone for being fat because you perceive them as lazy or worthless is not a position of enlightened intelligence or superiority, it's standard self-aggrandizement. Just plain old insecure, hollow elitism masked as "just telling it how it is". Those people posture as though they were personally selected to determine who among us is worth drawing air and who isn't - we have people showing that attitude in this thread. I hope the overweight people who have the misfortune of encountering some of you have the good sense to understand they don't need to listen to a word you say.

I heard it all the time when I was fat. People I knew would share straight-up homicidal fantasies they had toward fat people, how they should all die. After I lost the weight, people talk about fat people to me like they're subhuman, assuming I agree with that. It's a sickness, the depths to which people allow themselves to hate someone and dehumanize them because of how they look.

Deciding an entire population of human beings is "worthless" because they don't meet your personal standard for physical beauty or fitness is laughable hubris at best, indistinguishable from bigotry at its worst.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Yunho wrote:
really interesting to hear that for a woman a 90cm waist is recommended for medical counseling, here in the us my waist is about 84 cm and im still a woman's small / medium

This is partly the Japanese being short and partly the nature of geometry. If my math is correct, v=1/(6*(pi^2))(c^3), such that it takes a lot of volume to make up an inch of waistline and every additional inch represents a lot more fat than the inch before it.

Note that this math holds best for spherical people.
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I've struggled with weight myself and still do, but other than not agreeing with that metabo law or whatever, the Japanese seem to be doing something right about obesity. Only 3.5 percent of the country being fat is a great statistic. That's one of the things I hate about the US. I'm all for about loving your body and being self empowering, but using that as an excuse to stay fat or even gain weight grinds my gears. I also understand medical reasons like thyroid issues causing weight gain and not being able to lose weight. Those that don't have medical reasons really have no excuse. It may seem harsh, but it's reality. You don't even have to exercise, but just eating less and cutting out soda does wonders. I'd rather not go into a how to because it's different for everyone, but losing weight is possible. Even surgery is an option I'm totally for too, even tho some call it a cop out. All Im saying is I hate excuses because they're plenty of ways to do it. Just find your way and stick to it. I could go on, but I have cut myself off somewhere. Haha.
Angel Investor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I disagree about Western shows being kinder toward obesity. Just off the top of my head, shows like The Simpsons and South Park must have literally hundreds of jokes at fat people's expense.
LouieKablouie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
While I don't align myself with any sort of movement or am I sensitive to being called fat. The fat joke characters are just so boring on the same league as misunderstandings and fart jokes. It's just an archetype that's not exciting to me just like the tsundere or aloof/distant teenage protagonist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11