• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Gundam Wing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, I for one genuinely think that Wing has legitimately good and layered writing (see essay above as evidence for) that certainly put it's far above the likes of Sword Art Online or Geass R2 or such scared cows of the fandom as Zeta Gundam. It seems to me to be one of those works of entertainment that you either get or you don't respond well to at all.
One can still enjoy an anime and still acknowledge it has flaws while doing so. Even years ago when it was on Toonami, I saw there were flaws in the writing. The ending always felt rushed; while lots of people love Endless Waltz, I find it a bit too predictable and straightforward compared to the show; I never liked Wufei even as a kid. And while I was never as bored as Jacob, some of the storylines weren't as engaging as others if you weren't a fan of the character the show decided to focus on. It is quite possible to "get" Gundam Wing but still not like certain aspects of the show. Being fair and balanced is an important part of media criticism.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
One can still enjoy an anime and still acknowledge it has flaws while doing so. Even years ago when it was on Toonami, I saw there were flaws in the writing. The ending always felt rushed; while lots of people love Endless Waltz, I find it a bit too predictable and straightforward compared to the show; I never liked Wufei even as a kid. And while I was never as bored as Jacob, some of the storylines weren't as engaging as others if you weren't a fan of the character the show decided to focus on. It is quite possible to "get" Gundam Wing but still not like certain aspects of the show. Being fair and balanced is an important part of media criticism.

Flaws in a work are a hopelessly subjective thing that depends on the viewer. And "fair and balanced" is one of those phrases like "objective" that is more often than not merely used to support one's biases.

It's perfectly fine not to like Wing. What isn't is to go "It not a good anime and that is an indisputable fact" which several people on the first page are rather guilty of.
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:17 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

Well, I for one genuinely think that Wing has legitimately good and layered writing (see essay above as evidence for) that certainly put it's far above the likes of Sword Art Online or Geass R2 or such scared cows of the fandom as Zeta Gundam. It seems to me to be one of those works of entertainment that you either get or you don't respond well to at all.

With the possible exception of SAO (at least when it comes to my own personal view of it), I'd argue one could also write essays in defense of each of the shows you've mentioned. It's precisely because of viewer subjectivity that there can be a wide range of opinions about the quality of any given show or even differences about the exact recollection of the events involved within it. Let alone when it comes to matters of themes or layers, where what means a lot to a certain observer's experience may seem to be nothing more than forgettable fluff to another.

In fact, I've occasionally written long posts as counter-arguments on this same forum that question the assertions made by ANN staff or other posters about various series and properties. In that sense, I can sympathize with Lightning Count and his detailed arguments in favor of Gundam Wing. These series discussion podcasts have never been perfect, nor could they ever be, and matters of personal taste as well as simple memory discrepancies and interpretation gaps allow for plenty of room for debate.

Regarding my perspective about the current show, I enjoyed Wing well enough at the time of broadcast but didn't care much for it on a rewatch. In a few words, there were always entertaining situations and cool robots yet I didn't have a lasting engagement with most of the cast. Not to the degree of finding it completely boring or hard to understand, but the show could have benefited from a more character-focused approach. Comparatively speaking, I've ultimately found CG (including R2) more interesting than Wing especially on that front and arguably the same goes for Zeta Gundam in spite of Tomino's own unique brand of weird characterization. None of those are flawless shows with squeaky clean narratives, far from it, but each has their own positives and negatives as well as elements that will appeal to different sectors of the audience.

In retrospect, we can definitely say that "messy melodramatic mecha" is practically a Sunrise specialty at this point and those types of series have a tendency to promote varying degrees of polarization precisely because of their untidy structures, including disputes over whether they will make any sense or not (curiously enough, G-Reco is probably one of the more severe cases of disagreement in that respect if you bring it up among online mecha fan circles).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
Disclaimer Haven't really see "Gundam Wing" and I have not read the 8291-word essay outside of skimming through parts of it. What I am writing is to say this: I don't know how many hours it took LightningCount's, but you likely have accomplished quite a bit if you can get Zac to say such appreciative words.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:00 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
db999 wrote:
I've only ever seen Gundam Wing one time around 7 or 8 years ago, but from what I remember of the show it's probably my least favorite full-length 26-52 episode Gundam show, other than Reconquista in G and IBO Season 2, both of which I never finished. While I think that both Age and SEED Destiny are worse, Wing was just the least interesting show and I mostly just remember being bored by the show. I only remember really liking the first 10-12 and the last 10-12 episodes of the show, and I don't really remember much of what happens in the middle of the show. However, listening to this episode finally convinced me to go back and rewatch the series. I hope that I like it at least a little bit more this time.

Actually I'm watching Double Zeta and it's worse than Seed Destiny but not as bad as IBO season 2 though. Just so much unfunny comedy, characters that are too silly to be taken seriously. Haman Khan's Neo-Zeon movement is filled with boobs basically. Judau Ashta's friends are partially annoying backstabbing idiots and the other half just annoying. And Bright Noa has to suffer the embarrassment and indignity of this whole thing. And don't get me started on the moon moon thing. Seriously Seed Destiny is looking better and better.

HA! at least that is more entertaining that IBO season 2. that whole season was an ABSOLUTE AND UTTER MESS!!! at least SEED Destiny is a hell of a lot better than IBO2. even 00 season 2 wasn't as bad as THAT!!!!

also what happened in ZZ was a necessary evil cause unfortunately a lot of parents were complaining very very heavily of the dark undertone that was in zeta which was the reason why the first half was like that. though in the second half of the series it went back to its original zeta roots, but too little too late. though storywise it had a big outcome since it was the events of ZZ that pretty much made casval go off the deep end and fully embraced his Char persona during the end of the first neo zeon war and the start of the second.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

HA! at least that is more entertaining that IBO season 2. that whole season was an ABSOLUTE AND UTTER MESS!!! at least SEED Destiny is a hell of a lot better than IBO2. even 00 season 2 wasn't as bad as THAT!!!!

also what happened in ZZ was a necessary evil cause unfortunately a lot of parents were complaining very very heavily of the dark undertone that was in zeta which was the reason why the first half was like that. though in the second half of the series it went back to its original zeta roots, but too little too late. though storywise it had a big outcome since it was the events of ZZ that pretty much made casval go off the deep end and fully embraced his Char persona during the end of the first neo zeon war and the start of the second.

I'm still trying to get over IBO season 2, it's especially hard since Season 1 was actually really good. It makes the choices in season 2 worse, they actually had good groundwork to go off of and they squandered it.
ZZ just how am I suppose to take Haman's Neo- Zeon movement seriously when she staffs insane imbeciles like Mashmyre Cello and Chara Soon, and Glemmy Toto is not much better. But seriously the show lost me for a moment when we reveal a space colony having apparently having decided to reject technology nearly and become some stone age tribe nearly but somehow is able to stay hidden during things like the One Year War or the Gryps Conflict. Let alone any of the other conflicts during the Universal Century.

And the first episode of ZZ was the worst, seriously they had Quattro/Char teaching children about different Gundams. It was like one of those "Who's that Pokemon?" bits. It's like Tomino please stop disgracing Char Aznable and his voice actor.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Hey hey hey, slow down! Don't make me have to go write my own 5 post long multi-point essay response in defense of ZZ now! I've got stuff to do! ;_;
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I'd gladly take ZZ over Zeta. It was at least self-aware that it was ridiculous (which believe it or not it actually makes the makes the serious attempts at drama later on more effective in my eyes) and it had a cast that didn't drive me up the wall in annoyance. Judau is infinity more likable than Kamille and the minions of Neo Zeon, incompetent boobs that they are, have personality unlike the bland one-dimensional Titans.

But let's get back to Wing...

Last edited by Zeino on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I simply don't understand this line of reasoning that to be a proper fan of something, you have to either never say anything bad about it ever or you just "don't get it" or you have to trash it completely or you're a weeb. I find this kind of approach to media consumption to be very limiting and this is why I don't participate in many franchise fandoms.
MadHi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

Well, I for one genuinely think that Wing has legitimately good and layered writing (see essay above as evidence for) that certainly put it's far above the likes of Sword Art Online or Geass R2 or such sacred cows of the fandom as Zeta Gundam. It seems to me to be one of those works of entertainment that you either get or you don't respond well to at all.

You are my new best friend in the world!!

I love Gundam Wing, it's a legitimately well-written and well-made (for it's time) show. It's like I said, one of my favorite attributes of the series is that it doesn't rely on flashbacks or any kind of reminders. Some might not like that but considering how it's usually done especially in shonen battles, ie extremely lengthy takes up a good portion of the episode, boring, and frequent, just keeping the damn thing going is a welcome change of pace.

Gundam Wing, and very few other shows, only Death Note comes to mind, make little use of flashbacks and recaps and keep moving forward and should something happen that you don't get is very likely to have been explained earlier that you easily forgot considering how layered the plot is, especially if you're watching it on a weekly basis rather than binging it.

But... no matter how I look at it. A lot of people love to analyze Wing only to try and tear it apart somehow because it angers, REALLY ANGERS, many UC Gundam fans that Wing is THE Gundam show to beat in terms of popularity and impact that not even the sacred cows of Zeta nor UC0079 holding the title of 'the original' can knock it off the thrown. Even to a point where they'll probably read this post with a snooty voice in their heads.

Some people have gone as far to undermine it in unfair ways by saying Evangelion has better animation and it was made in the same year without acknowledging that it has about half the episode count and the story was 2 episodes before the finale.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Hey hey hey, slow down! Don't make me have to go write my own 5 post long multi-point essay response in defense of ZZ now! I've got stuff to do! Anime cry

I'm sure it would a fascinating read.
Titus-A

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of which, you know that picture that ships Heero and Duo? Well, here's the ACTUAL picture before some yaoi fangirl tweeked it for her sick fancies.

Official art might pose them to arouse the female fan's imagination but never be direct. Most of what we see, much to our grief, is doujinshi or photoshopped.

Last edited by Titus-A on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
For what it worth, I'd gladly take ZZ over Zeta. It was at least self-aware that it was ridiculous and (believe it or not it actually makes the makes the serious attempts at drama later on more effective in my eyes) and it had a cast that didn't drive me up the wall in annoyance. Judau is infinity more likable than Kamille and the minions of Neo Zeon, incompetent boobs that they are, have personality unlike the bland one-dimensional Titans.

But let's get back to Wing...

Wing well, anything I have to say about that show has been taken up by Lightning Count's essay on it.
I'm well aware how confusing Wing basically is at several points and I'm not one to argue the complexity of it. And I do have to admit I'm not a fan of Wufei's antics as a character. Not only is he crazier than Heero at points of the show but also a horrible sexist idiot at other points.

If there's a character I wish Wing worked on better, well Wufei would be a big one. That being said, I liked the other characters well enough. Though I have to admit the hilarious thing for me watching the show in Japanese at least was the constant reusing of voice actors for soldiers sometimes in the show. Seriously Toshiyuki Morikawa voices like 8-10 characters in this show, half of them just unamed OZ soldiers, one of them of course Zechs' brief right hand man Otto. As for the English dub, well I'm not a big fan of some voices in it as I rewatched it recently especially freaking General Septem's voice in the English dub which is hard to listen to with a straight face.
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I'll be the pariah and say Wing got me into the Gundam franchise. Age was a shambles and IBO2 was rushed. but my fav series to date is Seed & Seed Destiny.
I've found that all Gundam series have something wrong with them, good luck to those having the misfortune to watch Zeta & ZZ. Unicorn has now filled the top spot but I really don't want more UC timeline Gundam, instead I like a new approach keep those serious ideological and political plot line but give us less rushed & fluent series
MadHi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:52 am Reply with quote
LightningZangetsu27 wrote:
I'll be the pariah and say Wing got me into the Gundam franchise. Age was a shambles and IBO2 was rushed. but my fav series to date is Seed & Seed Destiny.
I've found that all Gundam series have something wrong with them, good luck to those having the misfortune to watch Zeta & ZZ. Unicorn has now filled the top spot but I really don't want more UC timeline Gundam, instead I like a new approach keep those serious ideological and political plot line but give us less rushed & fluent series

I haven't seen IBO S2 yet so I can't respond to that.

I loved AGE, I don't care what anyone else says. Sadly it didn't live up to it's full potential not because anything was wrong with it, because no one was giving it a chance and thus it was cut short.

I love Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED Destiny too, that makes you my new best friend in the world right now!!

I don't want any more UC either, at least not the damn Feddy/Zeke war. That concluded YEARS ago and they keep bloody piling on more. If they wanna do more UC, they should expand on F91 and the Crossbone Vanguard away from the Amuro/Char era.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4