• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tomoyo Kurosawa, Toshiyuki Toyonaga Win 12th Annual Seiyū Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:34 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
This award is a popularity contest, we all knew that.

Uhm, but it isn't? There was one prize that was awarded by popular vote, I'm not sure if it still exists, but Hiroshi Kamiya took it like five years in a row and it's not related to the other awards that are chosen by, I assume, a jury. If this were a popularity award, the main Actress would've gone to Love Live or Kemono Friends. While I would've also liked Rakugo to win -especially Ishida Akira-, Toyonaga and Suwabe also put out excellent work in Yuri on Ice, the nuances to the characters and their development were outstandingly conveyed through their voices. They definitely deserved that award
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:13 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
SHD wrote:
This award is a popularity contest, we all knew that.

Uhm, but it isn't? There was one prize that was awarded by popular vote, I'm not sure if it still exists, but Hiroshi Kamiya took it like five years in a row and it's not related to the other awards that are chosen by, I assume, a jury. If this were a popularity award, the main Actress would've gone to Love Live or Kemono Friends. While I would've also liked Rakugo to win -especially Ishida Akira-, Toyonaga and Suwabe also put out excellent work in Yuri on Ice, the nuances to the characters and their development were outstandingly conveyed through their voices. They definitely deserved that award

I'm not saying it's a popular vote, I'm saying it's a popularity contest. If you look at the winners each year they always somehow seem to be people connected to huge successes in the period covered by the award. (Last year's Your name win was also a sore spot that was criticized by many. By the way, you're wrong about the Best Actress award. Houseki no Kuni was also a huge surprise success - and Kemono Friends did win elsewhere.) I'm willing to bet money that the only reason Osomatsu-san hasn't won anything is because it's an ensemble cast and they're wary of picking one of the seiyuu over the rest. (Even though Sakurai Takahiro would really deserve an award for Osomatsu.)

I'm not even saying that the winners are talentless and undeserving. FukuJun, OnoD, Hirata Hiroaki, all great seiyuu. Kaji Yuuki won twice, and as much as haters like to hate him, he is a very good seiyuu with some great performances under his belt. And so on. (Also note that I'm not complaining about Kurosawa Tomoyo's win.) But somehow they never seem to win in the year they turn out genuinely great performances - but when they happen to play in something that gets really popular and generates a lot of hype. It's very difficult to not see these wins as basically honoring not the performance but the role, and by connection the franchise it belongs to.

I haven't heard of Toyonaga Toshiyuki enough to be able to judge his talent, but his work in YOI was good - not outstanding. And as I said above, I like Suwabe and think he's capable of great work - just that his performance in YOI was not all that noteworthy. (YOI is an example of a show that would have worked just as well were it not these two but any other decently capable voice actors cast in it.) And to think that they won over the performances of Ishida Akira, Yamadera Kouichi and Seki Tomokazu in Rakugo...
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
I cant take Y(a)oI seriously. I feel it's only because it's for fujoshi. But I'm glad Kurosawa won. She did a great job as Phos, and the song she sang as an ED in Houseki no Kuni was brilliant-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2