• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Z is for Zoids

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I have so much nostalgia for both of these. I'd absolutely love it if we could get US versions of those blu-rays from Viz for all the series and especially for both of the first two series (Chaotic Century+Guardian Force and Zero). I watched those countless times on CN/Toonami and have some of the old DVDs.

I too really hope that they dubbed the whole Genesis series so that there'd still be slim hope we might actually get it some day. That series was quite good. Fuzors was only decent but I'd buy this too to since it's been so long I'd definitely re-watch it.

I'm really looking forward to that Cyborg 009 release. Good to hear that info, I don't mind the wait when it's time taken toward being thorough toward making the release better. Smile

TheAncientOne wrote:
My strongest memory of Chaotic Century was the number of times Toonami played it before finally rolling out the final four episodes.

At least they gave us all four in a special event:

Hell yeah, I remember that ad for the final four Very Happy
That was pretty weird, but I do have fond memories of how neat it was watching the finale as an event marathon.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Zoids Genesis is so freaking bad, man. It pains me. I had gotten twelve episodes in before I said "If this is more BS, I'm out." Naturally, at Episode 12, a major forward push in the plot happens and there's a noticeable animation bump; I decide to stick it out for all 50. I made a mistake.

The early mornings of Zoids and .hack// really take me back to a specific time. If the first two series with the Van and Zeke characters ever aired when it was daylight, I do not recall. Fuzors was on at after-school DBZ hours, but I'm less familiar with that one.
sk1199

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I can happily say that I own the complete set of Viz's Chaotic Century and I still enjoy watching the show to this day.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm 99% certain that Van Flyheight was on Toonami before Bit Cloud was. Van, Zeke, Fiona, Moonbay, Irvine, then the later less memorable second-half time skip characters. That was Zoids to me. I distinctly remember being upset that the next Zoids series was just a basic tournament setup with none of the engrossing story from the first series.

So now I'm extremely confused why the article states that the original Zoids aired after the second series.

That said, if Discotek could release the first Zoids on DVD that would be amazing.

For some reason, Chaotic Century aired after New Century /Zero, which I don't find all that strange. I mean, Dragon Ball aired on Toonami after Dragon Ball Z, right?
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Zoids. That was show I sorta used to watch but never remembered much.

I distinctly remember one episode regarding some mysterious ghost girl and I had no idea what all that was about.
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I have an interesting story I want to tell about the Zoids series. Does the name Paul Rufe ring a bell to anyone hear. He is an art teacher on anime artwork class Japanimation at HAL Gallery in Huntsville AL. a nice guy and I enjoyed going to those art classes. Anyway on to the subject back before Zoids: Chaotic Century anime sometime around when the Zoids toys came out Paul was fascinated of those toys and thought "this could make good cartoon show out of these toys." So he hired a good lawyer to get the license and manage to get the license and it seems everything is going well but sadly for Paul he had some compilations... If anyone want to know more please feel free to ask.

Last edited by LaytonPuzzle27 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
It would be great to see Zoids back in print, but I'm not sure Viz is the right company. Outside of Pokemon, I don't think they'd get away with releasing edited dub-only BDs in 20??. There were rumours the original show/Chaotic Century had an uncut dub produced (the TV version had some profanity you wouldn't expect in a made-for-kids-TV dub) but never released - who knows if that existed and can be hunted down. I'm not sure how much Zero was played with. Fuzors would be a mess because of the changes made for the Japanese broadcast (one episode was completely redone), which was the baseline for the BDs. Genesis is a complete mystery, though those Filipino reports also suggest it was an edited dub.

Situations like that are the kind of things that would require someone passionate to work on the home video products. I really doubt Viz would be that company.

VIZ has done Ranma ½ for some reason, but that also includes subs.

I doubt Discotek would be able to afford licensing and releasing the series, kickstarter or not, and dub or sub. Funimation certainly has the resources to use the thirtieth anniversary box set.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Ranma was one of the most popular anime shows of the pre-DVD era. Its dub was also uncut and Viz regularly kept either the Ranma anime or manga in print. Contrast that to Zoids, which wasn't hugely popular, has shows with edited dubs and hasn't been acknowledged by Viz in a decade.

I don't see Funimation being interested in 150+ episodes of an old children's cartoon. Maybe if they want to lose more money, they'll pick up Zoids Wild.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
So was Maison Ikkoku, which I believe was mentioned, but VIZ hasn't renewed it.

Also, Funi released the original Tenchi series some years back, so they could be interested in Zoids if they want to continue the Toonami nostalgia bandwagon. Still, I don't know if that was a failure. FYI, Zoids Chaotic was sixty-seven episodes. New Century Zero was twenty-six.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm 99% certain that Van Flyheight was on Toonami before Bit Cloud was. Van, Zeke, Fiona, Moonbay, Irvine, then the later less memorable second-half time skip characters. That was Zoids to me. I distinctly remember being upset that the next Zoids series was just a basic tournament setup with none of the engrossing story from the first series.

So now I'm extremely confused why the article states that the original Zoids aired after the second series.

That said, if Discotek could release the first Zoids on DVD that would be amazing.
I am not certain on the timeline, but zoids chaotic century aired at the same time as zero. Only chaotic century aired at like 6:00 am.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
So was Maison Ikkoku, which I believe was mentioned, but VIZ hasn't renewed it.

Also, Funi released the original Tenchi series some years back, so they could be interested in Zoids if they want to continue the Toonami nostalgia bandwagon. Still, I don't know if that was a failure. FYI, Zoids Chaotic was sixty-seven episodes. New Century Zero was twenty-six.

Tenchi Muyo GXP was one of the first things Funimation ever licensed. They had a history with that property and at this point, have almost all of it (spoiler[including Ai Tenchi]). It's also not a kids toy commercial and all the dubs were produced uncut for home video. I really don't think that has much bearing on them going after Zoids.

All four pre-existing Zoids shows is 150+ episodes. Wink
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
Having a history of rights to a series is irrelevant, if anything it would have been discouraging after the shitfest that was OVA 3. Rescuing the series was because Toonami nostalgia after the 2012 Adult Swim April Fools joke airing it, which was part of my point in the first place. Funimation wouldn't have touched a twenty-year-old series if that wasn't the case.

The way you said it sounded like you were implying one show has 150+ episodes.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:48 am Reply with quote
I had the Evil Pegasus Techno Zoid as a kid. I wish I kept it. The design was AWESOME. I had wondered later when I got into anime, if it was related. I guess I was right!
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:52 am Reply with quote
I would like to see Zoids:Chaotic Century get a subbed and uncut blu-ray. But I'm not getting my hopes up since I'm still waiting for all the Digimon series to get a proper release.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:02 am Reply with quote
New Century is one of my most hoped for license rescues, I'd even spring for a DVD release. I really enjoyed the show when it aired but never not to finish it. Though was the dub changed that much? Obviously I don't have any subs as a frame of reference but I never got the impression that it was that altered compared to other dubs that aired around that time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3