• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Berserk (2016) BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:33 am Reply with quote
"The sound effects in the series also deserve special mention, as the metallic clang of Guts' massive blade conveys its sheer weight and power better than any other giant broadsword sounds I've heard. "

I had the opposite reaction. Honestly I have more a issue with the sound effects than the CG. It sounds like pots falling on the floor every time Gutts uses his sword. I'd let it slide if he is cutting armored enemies but not flesh & bone, sound weak too like his sword was made out of hollow tin. It should sound a heavy chunk of iron.

Merxamers wrote:
Is the CG better in this set than what was shown in the broadcast? I saw a comparison on twitter between the live broadcast quality and what was on the japanese blurays, and it was like night and day difference.

I don't know if they improved it but I did like that it was uncensored. The broadcast the nude characters without nipples looked very strange like mannequins.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
My interest in Berserk 2016 waned when they thought to include Casca getting tentacle raped in the opening credits. Was only downhill from there.

having the whole thing in 3D instead of having the same anime animators that did the movies was the thing that broke for me. and its disappointing too since both dub and sub did extremely well, though even for me, the sub was vastly superior.

personally i would have kept the NYAV Post cast for the tv series or even better. have some of the old berserk cast to reprise their old roles, or at least have blum reprise voicing guts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:05 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
or at least have blum reprise voicing guts.

Huh? Steve Blum never voiced Guts.

I thought the dub was pretty good, just disappointing they didn't bring the old cast back when it was possible. I'd understand if those main actors didn't work for Bang Zoom but Marc Diraison & Carrie Keranen do. So its odd.
Adrian Robotnik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Quote:
Animation: B

Forgive me if I'm skeptical that they somehow improved the janky early PlayStation 2 game-like graphics that much for the Blu-ray. And I'm not even going to bother trying to argue why it's a terrible botched adaptation in nearly all other aspects.

Probably "B" stands for "BAD"!
scriver058

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
"The sound effects in the series also deserve special mention, as the metallic clang of Guts' massive blade conveys its sheer weight and power better than any other giant broadsword sounds I've heard. "

I had the opposite reaction. Honestly I have more a issue with the sound effects than the CG. It sounds like pots falling on the floor every time Gutts uses his sword. I'd let it slide if he is cutting armored enemies but not flesh & bone, sound weak too like his sword was made out of hollow tin. It should sound a heavy chunk of iron.

Wondering if you watched this on a legit home theater with an effective bass speaker, because the Dragonslayer absolutely sounded like the Dragonslayer should, along with the other great sound FX when i watched the BDs.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
My interest in Berserk 2016 waned when they thought to include Casca getting tentacle raped in the opening credits.

Could be worse they could've showed the entire sequence involving Griffith actually assaulting her or the other equally cringey stuff.

Scalfin wrote:

I don't think whoever wrote the blurb knows what "divisive" means, in much the same manner as the ANN writer who described the reception of Black Clover's early episodes as "mixed."

If people like and hate something instead of universally liking it or hating it that's more or less what both terms mean.
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:29 pm Reply with quote
scriver058 wrote:

Wondering if you watched this on a legit home theater with an effective bass speaker, because the Dragonslayer absolutely sounded like the Dragonslayer should, along with the other great sound FX when i watched the BDs.

Yes I have a decent Atmos setup with Denon receiver & Harman Kardon speakers & dual subwoofers. Audio is important to me, thats why I'm complaining about sound effects.

The sound effects are terrible, its even become a meme. Was it fixed in the blu-ray version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd912tf6ois

It was too CLANG to be called a CLANG! Too CLANG, too CLANG, and far too CLANG! It was more like a slab of CLANG!

Meme explanation: This started out as an observation about how the sound effects made by the dragon slayer sounded cheap and unrealistic, producing a reverberating metalic sound even when cutting through soft objects such as ghosts or human bodies. It helped to produce the crowning moment of narm in the first episode—Guts chopping Collette's possessed body in half with a "clang" that sounded like smacking someone with a frying pan—and from then on CLANG took on a life of its own. One initial response was to photoshop a giant frying pan into Guts' hands; another was a series of video clips of people either purposefully or accidentally knocking over stacks of pots and pans with the Dragonslayer sound edited in (one highlight was Jack Torrance angrily knocking over pots in The Shining). Eventually, people were speaking of "the CLANG" as shorthand for all of the strange animations, camera angles, sound effects, etc. that contributed to the show being percieved as poorly-made and narm-tastic.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I watched this as it aired and enjoyed it. The models are all like what a... janky PS3 version of the current NUNS games are. That will kick many out the door but if you can get over that, it's a decent enough show. The visuals do have so "impressive" looking parts given the limitations. Some of them even look cool imo. I haven't read the manga, but I didn't think the story was bad. It was dark yet silly goofy like a crapton of anime out there.

I'm not saying it's amazing, but it's not god awful like it's made out to be. Outside of the visuals, I thought the story was interesting. I haven't read the manga though, if that counts for anything.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Controversial opinion. I actually did enjoy this show ,knowing all the problems that came along to make it happen in the first place kind of helps to.

It couldn’t have been easy to try to even transfer the amazing art from Miura to animation. The 97 anime “kinda” did it. Emphasis on kinda.......(ok close enough). But at the cost of the animation,but in their defense they at least made the most of it by using stylistic choices and direction.

The new adaptation tried to do the same with the usage of cross hatching (though the direction left a lot to be desired,which could’ve made it more bareable for those who weren’t behind the cig models. ),which totally complements the series. Gonna buy it ,to support the series,already own all of the manga anyway. This series is just yet another victim of animators trying to adjust to the times of CG animation and trying to blend it with their own unique style or twist of animation....and it not quite living up to its full potential.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2