• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Bizarre and Beautiful Blunders of B: The Beginning

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
As I understand it, this is Kazuto Nakazawa's first time directing (creating & designing) a full length series, despite having been in the biz since the 90s. I imagine if Netflix weren't footing the bill, he'd still be waiting for that chance.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
This show was pretty dumb, but I definitely did enjoy it. I'm not sure if I'd watch more, but I supposed if it looked this nice all throughout, I might be willing to give it a shot.

Lemonchest wrote:
As I understand it, this is Kazuto Nakazawa's first time directing (creating & designing) a full length series, despite having been in the biz since the 90s. I imagine if Netflix weren't footing the bill, he'd still be waiting for that chance.

Even without Netflix, this most likely would've gotten made. Rui Kuroki, the producer, and Nakazawa were working on pre-production before they showed up to pay for it.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Production IG definitely hit a homerun with this, it is a flawed yet unbelievably entertaining show. Hearing there will be more Netflix shows produced by IG (and its subsidiary WIT Studio) in the future makes me super happy! Cool

PS: Poor Lily, can't really blame her, since what can a normal person do in this surreal world where you can't survive without superhuman intelligence or ability?
Scalfin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
So it's not a prequel to something I haven't heard of?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if or when this show would be covered here. Good thing I finished it yesterday. Definitely agree Netflix is putting out a lot of anime this month back to back. It could be hard to finish AICO after it comes out Friday before Children of the Whales comes out Tuesday. Looks like I may not be getting to my backlog anytime soon.

On the show, I definitely thought it was entertaining, though the plotting could be better. Great action scenes, and Keith and Lily were great, especially the latter (the pants she generally wore didn’t hurt). They could have done something better with Yuna, as when she was pinned against the tablet in the last episode, I didn’t really care whether she lived or died at that point. I just wasn’t invested in her character, unlike Lily (episode 9 was a rough place to stop, even if it was only for a few hours). I’d be down for more of the series though.
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Even without Netflix, this most likely would've gotten made. Rui Kuroki, the producer, and Nakazawa were working on pre-production before they showed up to pay for it.

I think Netflix isn't even in the production committee right?

Anitwitter hasn't been so nice to this show. It was more complaining about how messy it was than anything else. But this post has given me the itch to check it out. I'm always in for ridiculous, fun rides like this one.

Great article, guys.
Ruddor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the show last night, and I definitely agree that it is entertaining, with some cool action and good art and animation. In my opinion the thing that really brings it down is how sloppily it tries to tie together two very different plots that, although both decent stories on their own, really don't mesh well together. Because it's constantly flipping between them, neither plots are really allowed to breathe, leading to a lot of moments that, although usually appropriately foreshadowed, feel like they just sort of happen and don't have the impact they deserve. For example, I suspected Gilbert early on, but instead of a big reveal we basically just get "By the way, Gilbert killed my sister, let's get him." And remember the blonde guy with face paint we all assumed was the main villain? Well actually he's just some chump brainwashed by that guy with 3d glasses and a bowler hat who turns out to be the real villain.
Also I have to mention the ending. While I definitely appreciate getting to spend more time with Lily (who, let's face it, is the best character), it annoyed me that the story was wrapped up with a character basically saying "By the way, a bunch of stuff happened off screen."

Overall, it was a fun watch, but I probably won't remember much of it by the end of the year.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Like others here, I found the show entertaining (thrilling at times) even if the writing was suspect. I think the story tried to juggle too many plot points and genres. The way episode 12 ended suggests that more content is coming. If there is indeed more, I look forward, especially if the unsolved plot points are addressed and the production values continue to be strong.

Overall it is a nice show. And I think it works well for Netflix's audience and established anime fans.

zrnzle500 wrote:
(the pants she generally wore didn’t hurt)

Amen to that.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
This was another case of a great looking/animated series with decent music but an extremely sloppy and boring plot that's more boring than its title.
Hazelll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
The aftet credits scene with Kirisame and who is most likely Kieth's father was quite interesting lol. It was a mess but fun
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh look, another article about a show I just started and am liking so far that's being panned by people with different opinions than I.

PASS.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

I think Netflix isn't even in the production committee right?

Right. Production IG is actually the sole company on the committee. They were fortunate to have Netflix come along and pay for the license, but IG holds all rights to it.
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked this better than Terror in Resonance.

Mainly because this show doesn’t beat around the bush and let’s us know the kind of show we are in for.

Terror in Resonance was a pretty damn good show until Five showed up and derailed everything.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
So Netflixs involvement, is basically them going to a couple of studios, asking them about upcoming shows, and buying the license? Or is there more or less to it than that.
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Like others here, I found the show entertaining (thrilling at times) even if the writing was suspect. I think the story tried to juggle too many plot points and genres.

I think so too.
As others noted, it's like watching 2 very different shows smashed into 1. And personally I found the murder mystery plot with Keith much easier to follow than Koku's supernatural conspiracy (Koku's part felt too disconnected at times to tie back to Keith's side of things IMO).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2