• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE Announces Launch Out of Beta, New Pricing Plan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I keep intending to sign up for this, for Legend of the Galactic Heroes alone

Hey, just like me. I have been waiting for them to offer other applications.

Until then, still a worse deal for me than the defunct Amazon Anime Strike scheme (since I have Prime anyway), but I suppose it works for some people who don't care about all the missing features.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
"Two simultaneous streams per month"--does that mean two people can use one account, or that an account member can only watch 2 simulstreamed shows, or an account member can only use the app on 2 different devices?

2 different "screens" at the same time

That makes sense, thanks.
FMPhoenixHawk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:57 pm Reply with quote
As others have mentioned, a Roku or PS3/PS4 app would be good. I already pay for the service, and have used it a little. It's okay. And the price isn't enough for me to drop it yet.
TD912

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
The iOS app is a tad buggy at times. It's like they're using a cross-platform codebase so the video player controls are clunky. Sometimes the subtitles don't show up at all, and scrubbing and forward/rewind frequently cause the video to jump around a lot more than you'd expect. Even simply pausing/unpausing causes the video to jump around a few seconds. Plus you can't tell what time it is while watching a video because the video player never shows the status bar.
Mavado

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I keep intending to sign up for this, for Legend of the Galactic Heroes alone
Not available in my region... Sigh.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps the most significant development is that they're apparently eliminating any ad-supported/free viewing option:

Quote:
"We are beyond enthusiastic about our unified, feature-rich subscription plan and value-engineered pricing with our move to focus solely on a premium, ad-free subscription video-on-demand service," said John Ledford, Founder and President of HIDIVE. "This is a direct response to our users' feedback, suggestions and collaboration during our early-access phase."

I don't know if it was my script blockers or what, but I never got any ads beyond an episode-opening HiDive promo when I tried out their streams. I guess they can't exactly afford to give stuff away for free.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I had been considering getting the 1080P add on but I only watch Xabungle and Ideon Sad
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
@Kougeru: 2 screens at the same time is often how watch my anime. That, top screen will be at the start point and bottom screen is usu. the (11:00-11:30 point). Watching 2 halves for an episode allows me to watch one epi. quicker then I can go the next epi. sometimes I will have 4 screens at a time to watch 2 epi. I often do this with Eng. dubbed epi.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:53 am Reply with quote
Do they replace the broadcast streams with BD streams once Sentai releases it on BD like how Funimation does? TAN only did this selectively; it was only for dubs if I recall
halo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
FMPhoenixHawk wrote:
As others have mentioned, a Roku or PS3/PS4 app would be good. I already pay for the service, and have used it a little. It's okay. And the price isn't enough for me to drop it yet.

I was told by their support that a Roku app is on schedule of a release sometime this month.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty happy with HiDive. Just wished that they released all dubs at the same time and not this 1-episode a week bs. Very happy that Food Wars! S2 will be released at the same time.

HiDive is starting to be a real competitor to Crunchy/Funi. Just needs to do more simulcast shows per season. Hopefully they start working on a PS4 app but I'll be content with the XBONE app in the meantime. Now, HiDive just needs to let me pay for the full year membership (I don't really like the monthly pulls).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Do they replace the broadcast streams with BD streams once Sentai releases it on BD like how Funimation does? TAN only did this selectively; it was only for dubs if I recall

While my answer to such a question is merely speculative/assumption, I think it would make sense to have the uncensored BD steams once the BD comes out. If there was a contracting condition that they had to keep the broadcast stream, it would make sense as they are saying "go out and buy the discs".
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:23 am Reply with quote
I've been with HiDive for 6 months or so on IOS ..it is buggy and I get tired of having to mirror to my Apple TV and redo each episode. AND there are No PS3/PS4 apps even mentioned on the site only XBOX One-on game consoles page
Apple Tv / Fire TV /Roku on TV& Consoles page. Like the others, i am discouraged that they are not mentioning a PS3/PS4 app. So, I guess at least once the Apple TV goes live I can survive a slight bit more comfortably.
The main thing I have my Subscription is for Sentai DUBS ... which as far as I know are not available at all outside of HiDive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2