• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Oops! All Quick Answers!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
What about doing what Disney, another company protective of their brand, did with their classic material, for Pokémon? Release specially packaged collector's editions, with a respectable personality (Disney used Leonard Maltin) giving commentary and wholly unnecessary (but legally defendable) "perspective" on the show.

Yes, those Donald Duck "defenses" were a good strike back against the PC attacks Donald and his nephews had taken in the 80's--Too bad Disney wasn't brave enough to stick with them in later collections, and fell back on Warner's "Product of its time" dodge.

Not sure how that would work with Pokemon, though, as there's almost nothing in the original that needs "defending", and when there is, it's too much:
Maltin: "Now, it might seem strange that James is putting on inflatable boobs to enter a swimsuit contest, but we should know by now that Team Rocket will try anything to get their Pokemon..." Wink
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
None of these take the place of proper language study. You simply need real Japanese study materials at some point. But if being into Japanese pop culture helps you stay engaged (the toughest part of studying), by all means use them. But do recognize their shortcomings.

I've had a conversation with some rather obnoxious Japanophiles in the distant past about this, telling them that subtitled anime and games with Japanese audio are not the proper way to learn the language, and that they need to learn with actual written materials such as textbooks, listen & repeat exercises, and so on. Do you know how they responded?

"But learning like that is boring. It’s not exciting at all."

They only wanted to learn it strictly from animated media and games, claiming it would teach them all they needed to understand the language without subs one day. They didn't recognize the shortcomings. I wonder how their little fantasy of visiting Japan one day in the future worked out for them.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
While that is the true purpose of the Pokémon anime, in the west, the anime came before the video games or anything else, which meant that not only did a lot of people get started with the anime first, but there are still lots of people who think that the video games were an adaptation of the anime, rather than the other way around. As a result, the Pokémon anime largely became its own thing in the west, with many people who watch the anime having nothing to do with the rest of Pokémon.

I agree completely, but I also don't think that's relevant. From the perspective of the rights owners & their marketing staff (the only perspective which matters in this discussion), the anime is nothing more than a commercial.

Quote:
That being said, I do agree that the sales to be had from such a release would be minuscule, between most western fans having grown up with the 4Kids dub and the anime having faded from popularity long since due to changing trends in US television (though I don't know how it is for the west outside of the US).

Yes, that's the point. The amount of sales that this would generate is negligible as far as the main Pokemon business is concerned.

Though this brings to mind a question: Why not import the Japanese releases if one wants the original uncut edition? I don't have a lot of personal interest in pokemon, but I have done that for countless other shows that I couldn't find a satisfactory copy of domestically. And Pokemon is pretty easy to understand, especially for an established fan who knows the show. I can't imagine lack of subtitles being a big hurdle for a hardcore Pokemon fan.

belvadeer wrote:

I've had a conversation with some rather obnoxious Japanophiles in the distant past about this, telling them that subtitled anime and games with Japanese audio are not the proper way to learn the language, and that they need to learn with actual written materials such as textbooks, listen & repeat exercises, and so on. Do you know how they responded?

"But learning like that is boring. It’s not exciting at all."

First off, let me preface my post by saying that I agree with Justin 100% that if you want to learn a language seriously then there is no substitute for formal instruction. But that having been said, I agree--to an extent--with the people you quoted.

Learning a language formally (in a classroom setting) certainly can be boring. Finding a way to make that more appealing is very powerful because it motivates students to learn. To that end I think that games, anime, TV drama, etc, can be a great learning tool. Sure, it is not a substitute for actually learning the grammar, etc, but it is motivational and can teach a lot of extra vocabulary (and more). I studied Japanese at university, but I also watched a lot of Anime at the same time. I didn't believe for an instant that watching anime would magically teach me Japanese, and I knew right off the bat that Animespeak is not the same thing as real-world conversation. However, Anime did teach me an awful lot: I'd be watching something and think: what does that word I just heard mean, exactly?...so that would motivate me to go get the dictionary and look it up. I'd wonder why certain words or phrases were translated (via sub or dub) one way sometimes and other times differently--then I'd ask my teacher or consult a textbook to learn why. I'd see signs or other text in the background of a show, wanted to know what it meant, and got a lot of practice with the Kanji dictionary looking those things up. And so on.

So yeah, you certainly won't learn proper Japanese by trying to parrot what you heard in an Anime, game, TV drama, etc. But, if your love for those things gets you listening to more Japanese speech, motivates you to bust out the dictionary and look up new words, memorize new Kanji, etc, then that certainly is a good thing. Motivation is a powerful learning tool, and if anime or games or whatever motivate you, then go for it. Just understand that it should be an accessory to, rather than a replacement for, formal study of the language.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
I was insulted by the part where Pikachu talked. I understand it was supposed to represent its bond with Ash, but it was still unnecessary. Did the people at OLM really think we were that stupid? It was really hard to take I Choose You seriously.

If you can accept the fact that Meowth in the TV shows can talk along with many other pokemon who can communicate via telepathy it then gets silly to whine about Pikachu talking to Ash.....in a hallucination.

CatSword wrote:

As for streaming, 4kids streamed Sonic X uncut for years while the show was also running on Saturday mornings and I don't recall any complaints.

First I've heard of this. Though I do remember them streaming Duel Monsters uncut.

Dr. Wily wrote:
Yeah but that's Sonic X. You're talking about Pokemon. Pokemon. Sonic's a fairly large brand but that's faded over recent years.

Sonic is actually still a profitable brand even if one half of it's fanbase likes to think otherwise simply because of their hot takes on some of the directions the series has taken since the post Genesis era games.

Dr. Wily wrote:

Pokemon is a juggernaut that will never die with a constant influx of new fans and/or customers.

It might never die it will at some point hit a brick wall that'll lead to it's popularity going into decline and it's profitability potentially waning, it's happened to comic books it's happen to things like Star Wars it's naive to think it'll never happen to Pokemon especially with Nintendo releasing games nearly every year or two.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:

First off, let me preface my post by saying that I agree with Justin 100% that if you want to learn a language seriously then there is no substitute for formal instruction. But that having been said, I agree--to an extent--with the people you quoted.

Learning a language formally (in a classroom setting) certainly can be boring. Finding a way to make that more appealing is very powerful because it motivates students to learn. To that end I think that games, anime, TV drama, etc, can be a great learning tool. Sure, it is not a substitute for actually learning the grammar, etc, but it is motivational and can teach a lot of extra vocabulary (and more). I studied Japanese at university, but I also watched a lot of Anime at the same time. I didn't believe for an instant that watching anime would magically teach me Japanese, and I knew right off the bat that Animespeak is not the same thing as real-world conversation. However, Anime did teach me an awful lot: I'd be watching something and think: what does that word I just heard mean, exactly?...so that would motivate me to go get the dictionary and look it up. I'd wonder why certain words or phrases were translated (via sub or dub) one way sometimes and other times differently--then I'd ask my teacher or consult a textbook to learn why. I'd see signs or other text in the background of a show, wanted to know what it meant, and got a lot of practice with the Kanji dictionary looking those things up. And so on.

So yeah, you certainly won't learn proper Japanese by trying to parrot what you heard in an Anime, game, TV drama, etc. But, if your love for those things gets you listening to more Japanese speech, motivates you to bust out the dictionary and look up new words, memorize new Kanji, etc, then that certainly is a good thing. Motivation is a powerful learning tool, and if anime or games or whatever motivate you, then go for it. Just understand that it should be an accessory to, rather than a replacement for, formal study of the language.

That's the thing though: You had formal training, in that you went to classes and had an instructor. The original point is that there is no substitute, when it comes to learning a language, for socially interacting with people who know the language well (whether that be scholars, like an instructor, or native speakers), and that consuming Japanese media alone will not be enough.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

That's the thing though: You had formal training, in that you went to classes and had an instructor. The original point is that there is no substitute, when it comes to learning a language, for socially interacting with people who know the language well (whether that be scholars, like an instructor, or native speakers), and that consuming Japanese media alone will not be enough.

I agree 100% with the original point: there is no substitute for formal training. But that said, I think Justin's answer doesn't give full credit to how powerful a learning tool media can be. Just because it's not the most important thing doesn't mean it lacks any sort of value.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
I agree 100% with the original point: there is no substitute for formal training. But that said, I think Justin's answer doesn't give full credit to how powerful a learning tool media can be. Just because it's not the most important thing doesn't mean it lacks any sort of value.

Ah, I see what you mean then.

(I also want to point out that said instructor has to actually be good at teaching the language. I've encountered some...less than good foreign language instructors. I had at least one who treated any language other than English and French not as skills to be used, but as knowledge to be had. He could speak and write in at least 6 different languages, but he considered it more as a hobby and never actually put them to practical use.)
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
There is a good blog entry about, where not to learn Japanese from:
http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/where-not-to-learn-japanese-from/
Quote:
Don’t learn Japanese from novels. No one talks that way.
Don’t learn Japanese from scientific journals. No one talks that way.
Don’t learn Japanese from manga. No one talks that way.
Don’t learn Japanese from newspapers. No one talks that way.
Don’t learn Japanese from sports. No one talks that way.
Don’t learn Japanese from comedy. No one talks that way.
Don’t learn Japanese from young people. You’ll sound like a chav.
Don’t learn Japanese from advertisements. No one talks that way.
Don’t learn Japanese from anime. No one talks that way.
Don’t learn Japanese from women. You’ll sound like a transvestite.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

(I also want to point out that said instructor has to actually be good at teaching the language. I've encountered some...less than good foreign language instructors. I had at least one who treated any language other than English and French not as skills to be used, but as knowledge to be had. He could speak and write in at least 6 different languages, but he considered it more as a hobby and never actually put them to practical use.)

Yes, 100% agreed! The quality of the teacher has a huge impact on students learning. I had a teacher like you mentioned--she knew 7 languages, but activley discouraged students from learning anything beyond the course curriculum. I remember asking her about some kanji after class one day and she asked me why I was bothering to learn that since the kanji in question "weren't on the test".
LuScr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Depending on what you want to learn Japanese for, learning through media might work. But, speaking as someone who studied the language three ways--first through anime, then through self-study with language books, then through formal instruction--if you want to be able to converse in the language, you need formal instruction, for two reasons.

First, a formal class will almost certainly push you much harder than you would go on your own, and your vocabulary will grow accordingly.

Second, conversational Japanese is much, much faster than what you'll hear in anime or games. If you're accustomed to the pace of voiced dialogue, the first time you try to keep up with an actual speaker, you're going to be hopelessly lost by the end of the first sentence. It takes practice to get used to that, and even the audio accompanying Japanese textbooks can only do so much.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:58 am Reply with quote
I learned English without any formal study just by using the internet and playing videogames in English for about 10 years. When I decided to learn Japanese I noticed it would be much harder than English. Mainly because Japanese doesn't use the Roman alphabet and also due to the relative lack of cognates if compared to English relative to my native language. My study plan is basically to follow the textbooks, watch a ton of Japanese language media, listen to Japanese music and to read manga with a dictionary at hand. I am currently reading To Love Ru and Claymore in Japanese since they have simple writing being Shounen titles with furigana. I think the manga are helping a lot: in the few months since I started reading then I have improved my understanding quite a bit. Actually by writing in English now I am not helping my study of Japanese....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:07 am Reply with quote
LuScr wrote:
Depending on what you want to learn Japanese for, learning through media might work.

Agreed. I have an acquaintance who is a professional chef. He wanted to learn Thai so he could talk to native Thai cooks & learn more about the food; so he enrolled in a proper Thai language school. It turned out to be nearly useless since the people he wanted to talk to--street cooks, taxi drivers, and various elements of the nightlife scene--don't speak formally correct Thai.

Quote:
First, a formal class will almost certainly push you much harder than you would go on your own, and your vocabulary will grow accordingly.

Second, conversational Japanese is much, much faster than what you'll hear in anime or games. If you're accustomed to the pace of voiced dialogue, the first time you try to keep up with an actual speaker, you're going to be hopelessly lost by the end of the first sentence. It takes practice to get used to that, and even the audio accompanying Japanese textbooks can only do so much.

I mostly agree, but a few comments. To address your first point, I agree that taking formal lessons would certainly push you harder than simply watching your favorite anime and hoping you learn at the same time. But there are plenty of things you can do to learn more on your own. When I was in college one of my anime buddies and I would make a point of memorizing new vocab each time we got together to watch. I'd make a point of memorizing 10 new Kanji each time I bought a new volume of manga, and so on. A fan that wanted to learn Japanese could do things like that; it's just a matter of motivation.

As for the 2nd point, I'd say that depends entirely on what you are watching. Clearly you aren't going to learn much in the way of advanced speaking skills by watching, say, Pokemon or Card Captor Sakura. OTOH, many seinen shows are a different story. Try keeping up with the intricate, fast-paced discussion of military tactics or politics in Gundam Stardust Memory.

Jose Cruz wrote:
I learned English without any formal study just by using the internet and playing videogames in English for about 10 years. When I decided to learn Japanese I noticed it would be much harder than English. Mainly because Japanese doesn't use the Roman alphabet and also due to the relative lack of cognates if compared to English relative to my native language.

In my opinion Japanese is among the easier languages to learn. Yes, it does have the disadvantage of having to learn new characters, but other than that it's a cakewalk. Japanese conjugation and declination is much simpler than most languages. There are far fewer verb tenses to learn. Subject-verb agreement (a common problem in English) is non-existent. You don't have to worry about the concept of word gender. There is only one "irregular" verb in Japanese (desu/"to be"). And the pronunciation is always 100% phonetic. If you can spell the word, you can pronounce it (and vice-versa)--it's not like English where a new learner has to worry about confusing similar sounds like "f" vs "ph", or how different letters might have different sounds depending on context. If you can deal with the hump of learning kana (which isn't that big of a deal) then the rest is downhill.

Shiflan wrote:
Though this brings to mind a question: Why not import the Japanese releases if one wants the original uncut edition? I don't have a lot of personal interest in pokemon, but I have done that for countless other shows that I couldn't find a satisfactory copy of domestically. And Pokemon is pretty easy to understand, especially for an established fan who knows the show. I can't imagine lack of subtitles being a big hurdle for a hardcore Pokemon fan.

This is only an option for the movies. The TV-series of Pokémon, believe it or not, doesn't have a home video release in Japan. I mean, they have rental DVDs, but no purchasable DVD- or Blu-ray-releases of the series exists.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:

This is only an option for the movies. The TV-series of Pokémon, believe it or not, doesn't have a home video release in Japan. I mean, they have rental DVDs, but no purchasable DVD- or Blu-ray-releases of the series exists.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Possible typo: Should
Quote:
And if I were running Pokémon Company, I certainly wouldn't seem like sound business to me.
instead be read as
Quote:
And if I were running Pokémon Company, it certainly wouldn't seem like sound business to me.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:29 am Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
Shiflan wrote:

That shows you how much I know about Japanese Pokemon releases! But seriously, there is no DVD or Blu-Ray release?!? That seems odd to me. When you say "they have rental DVDs" are these just the usual high-priced Japanese releases? Or are they somehow something different and legally restricted? The reason I ask is that traditionally Japanese releases of Anime have always been expensive, and I've seen it written in multiple places, including by Justin, that they were "priced for the rental market". That said, I can't help but wonder if you're talking about the categorically high price of R2 DVDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4