• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Frnxx fr th Mmrs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
That is why Rem will likely be the first sexy anime girl and the last sexy anime girl to get nominated for Best Girl due to the feminist backlash after she won in 2017. Some people will say that is overly cynical but the idea that sexy anime girls are sexist is being pushed by feminists on social media.

Based on the amount of Tsuyu Asui and Ochako Uraraka doujinshi available at Comiket these past few years, you appear incredibly out of touch with who otaku consider "sexy anime girls". Laughing
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

But didn't Tsuki ga Kirei get the judge's pick for best slice of life? I'm not saying the judge's votes didn't help Girls' Last Tour but there seems like there was more to it than that. I would have liked to see the percentages each nominee got, at the very least for the popular vote.

Agreed on Lustrous being picked for best animation. CG was definitely correct but both would be a little redundant.

Oh, you're right. I guess I got it stuck in my head that it must've been the judge's pick before seeing the actual judge votes and I forgot to overwrite that when I was watching the twitch stream. I guess we can just chalk that up to it being a competitive category. Admittedly, I thought it was the most up-in-the-air among them, with only MMO Junkie really seeming like it might've had a slight edge.
I would also love to see the percentages for all of them.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:26 am Reply with quote
^While I'm not a manga reader, I thought the judges' pick of Golden Kamuy for best manga was interesting. That seems very telling in regard to manga that won the combined vote.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:

[...]

Based on the amount of Tsuyu Asui and Ochako Uraraka doujinshi available at Comiket these past few years, you appear incredibly out of touch with who otaku consider "sexy anime girls".

While I'm not sure about doujinshi, Serval (and the other Friends) had plenty of fanart that was...not safe for work too, so I can't say I find their argument very convincing either.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:41 am Reply with quote
Now that I've listened to the episode, one thing I think the Crunchyroll Awards deserves credit for is the diversity of their presenter lineup. Befitting the community that watches anime, they had a good mix of ethnicities and genders, and instead of just all YouTubers and bloggers, they had surprises like that guy from the Green Bay Packers ("SPOOOOORTS!"). There were also one or two presenters I didn't recognize (Super Eyepatch Wolf) and whom I assumed were notable anime personalities in other parts of the world (which was also a notable source of opinion diversity in the panel of judges). I think US fans sometimes overlook just how successful Crunchyroll has been in Europe and South America, and how they're a big part of the anime community in much of the world.

As for receiving the the awards… maybe they could record short video messages from winners and just show those during the ceremony?

One other thought: I don't think they'd want to connect the Anime Awards to Crunchyroll Expo, because a big part of both of those events is to build CR brand loyalty with events that will get news coverage (hi ANN), dominate anitwitter, and keep people thinking about and talking about Crunchyroll. With that in mind, spacing out the events through the year is a better use of their money (and they're clearly spending a lot of money on events like these).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
In the 8.5+ years that ANNCast has been running, the longest anime the have reviewed is FMA. If you go buy individual series, FMA:B had 64 epi. and 1 movie. FMA had 51 TV episodes, 4 OVA shorts, and 1 movies. So, the collective amount is 121 epi. They reviewed this in the 1/22/2015 ANNCast episode "Fullmetal ANNCast: Brotherhood".
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Oh, you're right. I guess I got it stuck in my head that it must've been the judge's pick before seeing the actual judge votes and I forgot to overwrite that when I was watching the twitch stream. I guess we can just chalk that up to it being a competitive category. Admittedly, I thought it was the most up-in-the-air among them, with only MMO Junkie really seeming like it might've had a slight edge.
I would also love to see the percentages for all of them.
I was also surprised Girls' Last Tour won the award since it seemed like when it was airing, nobody was really talking about it whereas MMO Junkie was getting the most social media buzz, so I assumed not a lot of people were watching Girls Last Tour. Girls Last Tour was one of my top favorite anime of 2017, so I was really glad it won the best slice of life title. I guess it was a show a lot of fans really liked but it's just not as much of a conversation starter like MMO Junkie was. But I think anime fans under-estimate just how popular the iyashikei genre really is.

Quote:
In the 8.5+ years that ANNCast has been running, the longest anime the have reviewed is FMA. If you go buy individual series, FMA:B had 64 epi. and 1 movie. FMA had 51 TV episodes, 4 OVA shorts, and 1 movies. So, the collective amount is 121 epi. They reviewed this in the 1/22/2015 ANNCast episode "Fullmetal ANNCast: Brotherhood".
Now we just need ANNCast to top this by doing a review of the original Cardcaptor Sakura for the next review episode.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Zac wrote:
invalidname wrote:
LightningCount wrote:
Zac and Jacob, since you brought it up again in the intro, Gundam Wing is longer than most series (or any?) I recall you reviewing on ANNcast to date, so it's amazing you clearly challenged yourselves to get through it.

Tied (exactly!) with Clannad at 49 episodes and a movie.

Of course, which one felt longer is another question entirely. The Sanc Kingdom falls in less time than it takes to fix up Kotomi’s garden.

Wing felt way longer. Clannad was more pleasant by comparison, if only due to the relative simplicity of the story.

And you know what? It turns out I'm wrong about Wing and Clannad being tied for the lead, because I just remembered you guys also did Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (with Mike Toole, I think?) and that one is 64 episodes (plus a movie and 4 OVAs, but I don't recall if you covered those).

That's right, I remember listening to that now. (I've been following ANN as a website since circa 2000, so podcasts or not, I couldn't recall off the top of my head at the time.) I was thinking of ANNcasts like Escaflowne and Psycho Pass, which were both under 40 episodes even with their respective movies. But now that I stop to consider it, I just remembered that Code Geass was done as well. That was 50 episodes with its two seasons. I suppose what I was thinking was Gundam Wing's main 49 episodes were done in the traditional sense rather than broken up into multiple seasons, but then again, FMA: Brotherhood was that way, too. (Since the original FMA is a different series.) I think my mindset was just trying to picture "older" franchises at the time for these series reviews, and stuff like Outlaw Star, Trigun, and Escaflowne were only 26.

That actually makes things more interesting that Gundam Wing wasn't really an aberration in the ANNcast history in terms of length. Regardless, because it seemed like such a challenge comparatively, I had those three lingering questions about reputation, era comparison, and Toonami's accuracy in marketing. Based on the podcast, I would guess the answers might be that it was actually slower and more involved than its reputation as a slam-bang action-fest with pretty boys; that it was representative of the 90s era but had a lot more going on than most series from that era; and that Toonami's marketing sort of ignored the amount of politics and philosophy in the series, which was part of why it got its lasting reputation stated above. But that's just a guess.

As far as "anime burnout" goes, I think the key is to be selective in what you watch. Otherwise you can forget why you enjoyed anime in the first place.

And if someone's hankering for something like EVA, take a good hard look at the Fafner franchise. I ignored it for years, but it is way better than advertised. Each installment gets better, actually. Despite its rushed/uneven second half and lackluster ending, the newest installment to date, 2015's Fafner Exodus, is one of the more impressive and complete sci-fi/mecha anime of this decade. (However, it doesn't stand alone; you need to have watched the previous installments.) While EVA may have influenced Fafner's origins, it's come a long way from there.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Just stopped by to thank Zac for shilling NieR so much. Tried is out last week. Game of the Year for me, just a bit above Zelda. Tho that's probably because Zelda was never my kind of game, take that as you will.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:03 am Reply with quote
OK, let's put this to bed. I went through the ANNCast archives:

animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/archive

And compiled a spreadsheet of every series discussion ANNCast, with episode & movie count (it's possible I missed something because of the wacky titles, but hopefully this is all of them):

https://www.icloud.com/numbers/0_JRw3RHi8hoVeB6cmIbPeKNw#anncast-series-discussions

(Yes, iCloud and not Google Docs. Easier on my end. Link is public but read-only.)

I left out two movie-only ANNCasts that arguably could have been included, but each covered two movies (one was X/1999 and Akira, the other was Royal Space Force and The Wind Rises) and that seemed different than a single series/franchise discussion. Thus, the one movie-only ANNCast I included is A Silent Voice. Maybe I should take it out and make this TV-only, I dunno…

tl;dr results:

• Fullmetal Alchemist is far and away the longest at 113 episodes and 2 movies (if you count this episode as fully covering both FMA 2003 and FMA:B. And even if it were just FMA:B, it would be tops with 64 eps).
  • After that, there are only three four-cour series discussions: Code Geass (50 eps), Gundam Wing (49 eps + movie), and Clannad (49 eps + movie).
  • Shortest is Devilman Crybaby (10 eps)
  • Average is 36.5 episodes. That's pulled up a lot by FMA. The most common series discussions are 2-cour, followed by 1-cour.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2