• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Strike the Blood Gets 3rd Original Video Anime Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:14 am Reply with quote
Niyari wrote:
this makes me both really happy and really sad

happy because i love the series and sad because the license is rotting away with discotek

What are people talking about?

Discotek released the first season on a blu ray dvd combo for a very reasonable price less than a few years ago.

The second ova season hasn't even been out that long, I think it wrapped up late 2017.

So all things given, I don't see any basis for complaining about the western release of the show.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
It's great that Risa Taneda was able to recover in time to be able to reprise Yukina again (given she's already reprising Xenovia in the latest High School DxD season) Smile .
Hosoya was also under treatment for months, so it's good thing that STB production committee decided to wait for main characters voice actors recovery. Unlike some you know who.

Dang, I didn't know about Hosoya. I'm glad he was able to recover as well Smile .
Randomuser

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Interesting how all of a sudden, it rains new seasons of older titles. Been a while, since I first watched this. But I think, I dropped it for some reason. Oh well... Let's give it another shot in the future.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I think the quality dipped a bit by the end of the last OVA? But then again, this is great news for fans. I sorta knew that STB had a solid fanbase, but I've always been curious about how big it is.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Yes!, I love this franchise for some reason, it's just a ton of fun. I definitely welcome a 3rd season even if it's DTV and takes forever to be fansubed like the last season. I just hope Discotek or some company will release seasons 2 and 3 on disc at some point.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Niyari wrote:
this makes me both really happy and really sad

happy because i love the series and sad because the license is rotting away with discotek

What are people talking about?

Discotek released the first season on a blu ray dvd combo for a very reasonable price less than a few years ago.

The second ova season hasn't even been out that long, I think it wrapped up late 2017.

So all things given, I don't see any basis for complaining about the western release of the show.

The last volume of Strike the Blood II came out in Japan last May. So, it's been almost 10 months. So, whether they've been slow about it is up for some debate. It's long enough to wonder where it is but not so long that it's all that surprising that we don't have it yet. However, as I recall, they were very slow in putting the first season out (on Blu-ray anyway), so this is par for the course for how they've treated Strike the Blood thus far. The fact that it's not up for streaming is arguably a bit weird, but given that it was an OVA and not a TV release, that probably makes some sense. And depending on the license, they may never stream it. I don't know how such OVAs are typically handled with streaming. I don't bother with streaming (just Blu-rays), so I haven't been paying much attention.

The bigger delay is with the first OVA, but it was only two episodes, so it's not terribly surprising that they weren't in a hurry to sell that on its own. Hopefully, they release it with Strike the Blood II whenever they finally get around to releasing it.

Regardless, at least we're getting the light novels, and they're now past the first anime. The last two novels covered material that as I understand it was skipped by Strike the Blood II (it was a mix of backstory and new stuff in the "present day" of the story, but I do think that it's weird that they skipped it). So, the next light novel that comes out in the US should cover the first part of Strike the Blood II, and if Discotek is slow enough, we might actually get all of the light novels for it before we get it on Blu-ray.

So, the delay sucks, but at least as long as Yen Press keeps on top of things, we'll get the full story regardless of what happens with the anime, and I expect that we'll get the rest of the anime eventually. IIRC, rightstuf was calling the first season one of their best sellers at one point, so I expect that it did well enough that we'll get the rest eventually even if Diskotek is annoyingly slow.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
This will be very interesting. I'll have to re-watch the whole anime 'cause I forget most of what happened.

So an OVA season? Like what Kiss x Sis had? A series of episodes released exclusively on home video format, correct? If they can just easily do that, then perhaps XEBEC should consider making an OVA season for To Love-Ru Darkness season 3, should they not? Maybe adapting those remaining chapters for TV is completely out-of-the-question at this point now considering its over-the-top sexual content.

An OVA anime season for World's End Harem (Shuumatsu no Harem) could work as well, no?
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
This will be very interesting. I'll have to re-watch the whole anime 'cause I forget most of what happened.

So an OVA season? Like what Kiss x Sis had? A series of episodes released exclusively on home video format, correct? If they can just easily do that, then perhaps XEBEC should consider making an OVA season for To Love-Ru Darkness season 3, should they not? Maybe adapting those remaining chapters for TV is completely out-of-the-question at this point now considering its over-the-top sexual content.

An OVA anime season for World's End Harem (Shuumatsu no Harem) could work as well, no?

There is nothing new about OVAs. Having the first season be on TV and everything after that be OVAs is a bit rare, though not unheard of, but there are plenty of shows that have been done entirely as OVAs, and many, many shows which have special episodes as OVAs. To-Love Ru already has several OVAs. I don't think that we've gotten any of them in the US (which is frequently a problem with short OVAs), but they do exist. You can look them up in ANN's encyclopedia.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
CANimeFan88 wrote:

There is nothing new about OVAs. Having the first season be on TV and everything after that be OVAs is a bit rare, though not unheard of, but there are plenty of shows that have been done entirely as OVAs, and many, many shows which have special episodes as OVAs. To-Love Ru already has several OVAs. I don't think that we've gotten any of them in the US (which is frequently a problem with short OVAs), but they do exist. You can look them up in ANN's encyclopedia.

Yeah, but I'm talking about OVAs that fill up a whole season. That is often rare. I already know about TLRD recently released OVAs but the anime itself is still not finished. It hasn't covered what we know and read from the manga. I'm wondering if XEBEC has stopped caring since they're moving onto their anime version of Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs (Yuragi-so no Yuna-san).
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Yeah, but I'm talking about OVAs that fill up a whole season. That is often rare. I already know about TLRD recently released OVAs but the anime itself is still not finished. It hasn't covered what we know and read from the manga. I'm wondering if XEBEC has stopped caring since they're moving onto their anime version of Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs (Yuragi-so no Yuna-san).

Remember that for the most part, anime based on manga or light novels are created primarily to promote the original source material. The studios actually making the anime are rarely in control of whether more of a series gets made or not beyond being willing to contract to make more when the publisher wants more. And the publishers don't generally care about adapting the entire source material. At some point, they decide that it's worth more to them to promote a different series than to trying to further promote a series that's already successful. And in the case of To-Love Ru Darkness, the manga is done, so there really isn't anything to promote now. That doesn't guarantee that no more anime based on it will be made, but it reduces the odds considerably. Unfortunately, the nature of how anime that adapts a manga or light novel series is made rarely leads to entire series being adapted. If anything, it's kind of amazing that they made as much To-Love Ru anime as they did.

And on that note, it's pretty amazing that we keep getting more Strike the Blood. Most light novel series get one season - maybe two - and only rarely get more. So, the fact that we're getting more Strike the Blood is both abnormal and awesome.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
CANimeFan88 wrote:

Remember that for the most part, anime based on manga or light novels are created primarily to promote the original source material. The studios actually making the anime are rarely in control of whether more of a series gets made or not beyond being willing to contract to make more when the publisher wants more. And the publishers don't generally care about adapting the entire source material. At some point, they decide that it's worth more to them to promote a different series than to trying to further promote a series that's already successful. And in the case of To-Love Ru Darkness, the manga is done, so there really isn't anything to promote now. That doesn't guarantee that no more anime based on it will be made, but it reduces the odds considerably. Unfortunately, the nature of how anime that adapts a manga or light novel series is made rarely leads to entire series being adapted. If anything, it's kind of amazing that they made as much To-Love Ru anime as they did.

And on that note, it's pretty amazing that we keep getting more Strike the Blood. Most light novel series get one season - maybe two - and only rarely get more. So, the fact that we're getting more Strike the Blood is both abnormal and awesome.

OK then. You've made your point. Now what I'd like to discuss is the possibility of an English Dub on Strike The Blood and what would make a great English-speaking cast.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Now what I'd like to discuss is the possibility of an English Dub on Strike The Blood and what would make a great English-speaking cast.

That would definitely be cool, but I expect that the ship has sailed on that one. It would be weird for them to dub the new stuff when they didn't dub the first season, and it's fairly unusual for studios to go back and dub a series that they released as sub-only initially. It has happened occasionally, but I'd be surprised if Discotek did it. And for the most part, Discotek seems to be fine with releasing series as sub-only. As I understand it, it's quite rare that they've had anything dubbed. Almost everything that they've released with a dub is a license rescue. If someone like Funimation or Sentai had picked up Strike the Blood, then we probably would have gotten a dub, but with Discotek picking it up, we're lucky to get it at all.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Now what I'd like to discuss is the possibility of an English Dub on Strike The Blood and what would make a great English-speaking cast.

That would definitely be cool, but I expect that the ship has sailed on that one. It would be weird for them to dub the new stuff when they didn't dub the first season, and it's fairly unusual for studios to go back and dub a series that they released as sub-only initially. It has happened occasionally, but I'd be surprised if Discotek did it. And for the most part, Discotek seems to be fine with releasing series as sub-only. As I understand it, it's quite rare that they've had anything dubbed. Almost everything that they've released with a dub is a license rescue. If someone like Funimation or Sentai had picked up Strike the Blood, then we probably would have gotten a dub, but with Discotek picking it up, we're lucky to get it at all.

But I was wondering which voice actors/actresses would be good fits for these characters if they spoke in English.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
But I was wondering which voice actors/actresses would be good fits for these characters if they spoke in English.

I don't know. I know that some folks like to guess that sort of thing, but I gave up on it ages ago. If nothing else, I'm only able to say that someone who did something similar previously seems like they'd be a good fit, when in reality, it's often the case that the person who gets picked is someone who's never done a role quite like that before, and I never would have guessed that they'd be such a good fit, but they're actually an awesome fit.

Also, while I definitely enjoy a good dub, I've watched enough subbed anime that I almost don't care anymore whether something is dubbed or not. I prefer when there's a dub, but if there isn't, I just watch the subs and tend to forget that I'm even watching something in a language that I don't understand. Reading the subtitles just becomes automatic and doesn't get in my way.

So, maybe someone else will chime in with some ideas about who they'd like to see in dubbed roles of StB, but I really don't have anything to add on that front.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2