• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Makes A Manga Shonen Or Shoujo?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:44 am Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
The "demonization of male sexual desire" is a pretty new thing created out of nothing by feminazis here in the West, also called "toxic masculinity." Everything is labeled as such by them anyway.

Yeah, let's avoid the "feminazis" thing. That's unquestionably a pejorative and using it is just asking for trouble. Please take that as a Moderator directive.

Quote:
If To Love-Ru was released a decade ago, that wouldn't be the issue, rather the general sexual content which was controversial in Japan, too.

Um, it was released a decade ago; the franchise's founding manga dates to 2006.

I assume that you're actually referring to its Darkness follow-up, as the original is tame by comparison.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
The following links address the artistic differences of shoujo and shounen anime/manga:
bit.ly/2IbZGJX, bit.ly/2pasr1R. Of course, the points brought up are broad or general features of the respective art styles.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:55 am Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:

Some people feel embarrassed for liking something that is not aim to their age group. In Japan, they view Shonen stuff no different how most Americans view stuff like Transformers, Power Rangers, GI Joe, Adventure Time, etc. Stuff for kids and nothing else. Sunday anime to Japan is what Saturday morning cartoons are to the US.

That's not true at all. There are a lot of shonen series with huge followings of adults and kids alike. There's no real modern American version of it, but the closest would be the Simpsons back in the late 80s and early 90s. A prime time show both kids and adults enjoyed. Labeling stuff like One Piece or Dragonball as no different than Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon stuff does them a disservice, the mainstream difference is pretty big.

KrownClown wrote:
I mean yes there a few works that blur the line, but in general 90 percent of stuff can be categorized into its respective category following those two simple rules (assuming its one of those 4 or 6 categories).

That is not a good method at all. The easiest way is to look at what magazine the original manga ran in. The problem stems from westerners, both fans and licensors alike, who turned words like shonen and shojo into genres, not demographics. K-ON is a seinen, just as Monster or Prison School is. Tone and content has nothing to do with it. It's all about the target demographic, in this case, adult males.

-Stuart Smith
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:56 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
step 1 - gender of the protagonist.
If male its Shonen or Seinen. Or if you want to take it all the way Shonen Ai, Yaoi.
If female its Shoujo or Josei or Shoujo Ai or Yuri.

The Ancient Magus' Bride? A Certain Scientific Railgun? Sketchbook? Amanchu!? Probably many others that I'm missing?
Quote:
step 2 - theme or tone of the work
if serious, dark, or mature you have josei or seninen.
if its light, fun, or more naive/cartoony (and this is refering more to the action in the work) its shonen or shoujo.

The seinen-aimed Manga Time Kirara magazines would like a word with you.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:20 am Reply with quote
[quote="Yuvelir"]
Chrono1000 wrote:

Pidgeot18 wrote:
Well, since you're trying to be pedantic, I'll have to point out that you are in fact wrong in multiple places.

Thank you, I was fishing for something this long-winded. And served as a refresher for some concepts.
Although in the original post the concept that "(x,y) isn't a coordinate" grated me.

You didn't read what I said right after that. I said it isn't a coordinate, but a coordinate 2-tuple. A coordinate is x, and y, (x,y) isn't just a coordinate, is the set of two coordinates, a tuple.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:30 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I honestly dont know why you would make the argument that categories or genre are a bad thing. They are just a way to classify similar themed works.

Well, I've been scolded for having opinions on works that "are not for me anyway, so shoo". Since I read manga for all target audiences alike, this can be a problem.
MetalEmolga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As years go by and manga magazines' readership goes down and down, perhaps this may be less of an issue. Manga will certainly live on, but in new, less demographically categorized ways.

I wan't to point out that this isn't accurate. The manga industry isn't in decline. People are just moving from paper to digital.

Quote:
Hello everyone. Are you a reader of physical paper books? Or are do you read electronic ones? I’m sure that you have all heard that the paper book industry is currently on the decline, but exactly how long has the shift from paper to digital media been going on?

https://future-lab.tokyo/en/news/comparing%20the%20popularity%20by%20age%20and%20gender%20across%20manga%20magazines%20and%20e-comics

As far as gender demographic categories go most digital websites still separate their content into gender demographics. Even the stuff that isn't marked as part of a gender demographic categories will be obviously be targeted to a particular gender, such as BL.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

step 1 - gender of the protagonist.

If male its Shonen or Seninen. Or if you want to take it all the way Shonen Ai, Yaoi.

If female its Shoujo or Josei or Shoujo Ai or Yuri.

step 2 - theme or tone of the work

if serious, dark, or mature you have josei or seninen.

if its light, fun, or more naive/cartoony (and this is refering more to the action in the work) its shonen or shoujo.

I mean yes there a few works that blur the line, but in general 90 percent of stuff can be categorized into its respective category following those two simple rules (assuming its one of those 4 or 6 categories).

It's true there is a correlation in what you mention. However there are enough exceptions floating around for each demography that for one to simple follow a process of elimination you suggested to identify a target audience of a particular manga is not the best approach. As Justin, or the Answerman, points out the best way a person can tell what demography a manga is target for is to look at the magazine it/was publish in.

Coup d'État wrote:

Well, I've been scolded for having opinions on works that "are not for me anyway, so shoo". Since I read manga for all target audiences alike, this can be a problem.

I had a similar experience in which one person in class did not approve of me reading a shojo magazine during my years in high school given that I was a male, but I didn't mind and like to annoy him by having the magazine around. Anime smile They one of my cousins seems to question internally why I still like to play Pokémon games despite it being aim at kids, but again I didn't mind.

It is problematic, but I don't think it means we should get rid of categories entirely. There is a reason why they exist as they help people identify what books would potentially be right for them given their age range, sex, and other preferences. You would not want a child, for example, end of consuming media that they are not mentally ready to experience yet. From what I look at it people have the right to consume whatever media they want, and no one should take that away from someone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:

Some people feel embarrassed for liking something that is not aim to their age group. In Japan, they view Shonen stuff no different how most Americans view stuff like Transformers, Power Rangers, GI Joe, Adventure Time, etc. Stuff for kids and nothing else. Sunday anime to Japan is what Saturday morning cartoons are to the US.

That's not true at all. There are a lot of shonen series with huge followings of adults and kids alike. There's no real modern American version of it, but the closest would be the Simpsons back in the late 80s and early 90s. A prime time show both kids and adults enjoyed. Labeling stuff like One Piece or Dragonball as no different than Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon stuff does them a disservice, the mainstream difference is pretty big.

You can say the same thing about American kids cartoons as well since Adventure Time, MLP, Spongebob, Transformers and others have huge followings of adults and kids alike too. By the end of the day, they are made for children and will be view that way. It's the same thing with the live action shows for kids in both America and Japan with Super Sentai/Power Rangers.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

There is no comic/animation Western equivalent to manga. In fact it's closest western equivalent would be Hollywood live action movies since these media products are consumed by wide ranges of demographics.

For example, we could classify Hollywood movies along these lines:

Shounen: Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones, most superhero movies like Dragon Ball and One Piece.

Shoujo: Titanic, like Ouran Highschool Host club or Utena.

Seinen: Apocalypse Now, The Godfather like Monster or Vagabond.

Josei: The Devil Wears Prada like Nodame Cantabile.

Kodomo: Disney's movies like Yōkai Watch..

@Spawn29, that's not correct. One Piece is read mainly by adults as 88% of it's readers are adults according to a Japanese TV documentary:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/dtshyk/media/cGF0aDovdXA1OTE2LmpwZw==/?ref=

Is there a show in Cartoon Network that is watched by 90% of adults? Of course not. Cartoon Network's audience is roughly 80-85% made of children under the age of 13, usually around 6 to 12 years old. That's not shounen or shuojo, that's kodomo.

While shounen and shoujo manga usually have it's biggest demographic target at teenagers and not children under the age of 13. To Love Ru is not remotely targeted at the same public as Dexter's Laboratory: the first is aimed at horny teenagers while the other is aimed at children. The closest Western equivalent to To Love Ru would be a teen movie like American Pie.

By the way, the manga equivalent to the stuff in Cartoon Network is Kodomo manga that looks like this:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
There is no comic/animation Western equivalent to manga. In fact it's closest western equivalent would be Hollywood live action movies since these media products are consumed by wide ranges of demographics.

I think this is something important to emphasize - it's hard for us, here in the West, to grasp the way manga works in Japan for two reasons: First, as Jose correctly points out, we have nothing even remotely like it in the West. Second, even if we did, we split our demographics up differently anyhow.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:

I think this is something important to emphasize - it's hard for us, here in the West, to grasp the way manga works in Japan for two reasons: First, as Jose correctly points out, we have nothing even remotely like it in the West. Second, even if we did, we split our demographics up differently anyhow.

And that is why the novel books are split demographically in exactly the same way and magazines also in the same way!

Note:
Teen novels
For boys: Harry Potter(shounen)
For girls: Twighlight(shoujo)
Young adult novels
For boys: The Da Vinci Code(Seinen)
For Girls: 50 shades of Grey(Josei)
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Indeed. To Love-Ru is something that would be completely radical for a westerner adult comic much less a teenager comic.

The "demonization of male sexual desire" is a pretty new thing created out of nothing by feminazis here in the West, also called "toxic masculinity." Everything is labeled as such by them anyway.

If To Love-Ru was released a decade ago, that wouldn't be the issue, rather the general sexual content which was controversial in Japan, too.

It's true that Japan has a very different way of dealing with sexuality than the West. I don't think it has anything to do with feminism, in fact, if you watch Hollywood movies from the 1940's and 1950's way before modern feminism, they were mostly extremely puritanical. The roots for this puritanical attitude are from Christianity/Judaism: the entire Christian/Jewish moral culture, which is the moral culture of all countries of Europe, North America, South America, Israel and Australia/New Zealand, thinks sexuality is a taboo. It's true it has gotten more liberal in recent decades but we still don't have anything like Japan's hypersexualized visual culture in any Western country. I would think that Brazil's culture might be the most sexually liberal regarding heterosexual male desire among western countries but we also don't have anything like hentai here.

In addition there is another factor beside Jewish/Christian moral values that prevents sexualized comics and animation from becoming popular in the western world. It is the Western aesthetic standards. The Western aesthetic standards have been heavily influenced by Ancient Greek philosophy and as Plato stated, art has to adhere to physical reality. Since comics and animation by nature are more abstract/stylized than live action film or literature they have been relegated to a marginalized position in the artistic "food chain" and hence it is not socially acceptable to be into hentai in the western world and most comics and animation have been restricted to non-serious low brown comedy like South Park and if drawings have erotic content they usually try to be very realistic.

For example this heavy metal album cover from a band from Germany is handrawn and is aimed at a "seinen audience", it has some erotic elements but it's style is quite realistic:

While stuff like To Love Ru is much more stylized.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Wow, that's some nasty stereotyping/fandom-shaming, doncha think?

Confused not cool.....Shaming a person for their taste in media (no matter how much you don't understand it, is. not. a. mature. thing. to. do.

In fact, shame on you. >:/

But you're missing the point entirely. Of COURSE Nishikata wouldn't want his not-girlfriend to find out he likes something so cheesey that would make even a hardcore shoujo-lover cringe in the corner.

Okay, sorry for my opinion that it's not healthy for a grown man to be obsessed with something like MLP? Maybe you can argue I necessarily don't have the moral high ground for liking certain anime aimed at younger audiences, but viewership age ranges making it relatively mainstream show quite the contrary. No matter how loud brony fandom is, the series is first and foremost geared towards little girls.

Quote:
I haven't.

Well then... Cool

Jose Cruz wrote:
It's true that Japan has a very different way of dealing with sexuality than the West. I don't think it has anything to do with feminism, in fact, if you watch Hollywood movies from the 1940's and 1950's way before modern feminism, they were mostly extremely puritanical. The roots for this puritanical attitude are from Christianity/Judaism: the entire Christian/Jewish moral culture, which is the moral culture of all countries of Europe, North America, South America, Israel and Australia/New Zealand, thinks sexuality is a taboo. It's true it has gotten more liberal in recent decades but we still don't have anything like Japan's hypersexualized visual culture in any Western country. I would think that Brazil's culture might be the most sexually liberal regarding heterosexual male desire among western countries but we also don't have anything like hentai here.

Stop with the "puritanical" B.S. argument as if it actually holds true with what we're talking about. While Hollywood doesn't represent us just as anime/manga or the idol industry doesn't represent Japan as a whole, it's a sexualized powder keg to the extent that #MeToo wasn't surprising. Furthermore, you can see billboards in many places advertising adult entertainment, and for years you could see rags like Cosmopolitan out in the open at supermarket checkouts. Yet, fictional, illustrated, and unrealistic characters are risque? It's completely ass-backwards and makes absolutely no sense, hence my argument it's arbitrary.

Quote:
In addition there is another factor beside Jewish/Christian moral values that prevents sexualized comics and animation from becoming popular in the western world. It is the Western aesthetic standards. The Western aesthetic standards have been heavily influenced by Ancient Greek philosophy and as Plato stated, art has to adhere to physical reality. Since comics and animation by nature are more abstract/stylized than live action film or literature they have been relegated to a marginalized position in the artistic "food chain" and hence it is not socially acceptable to be into hentai in the western world and most comics and animation have been restricted to non-serious low brown comedy like South Park and if drawings have erotic content they usually try to be very realistic.

For example this heavy metal album cover from a band from Germany is handrawn and is aimed at a "seinen audience", it has some erotic elements but it's style is quite realistic:

While stuff like To Love Ru is much more stylized.

I think you're overanalyzing this. Cartoons, whether comics/manga or animation are not in the same boat as classical art. Do you seriously believe cartoons with anthropomorphic animals are imitating real life, or classical Japanese art is full of giant-eyed people with blue hair? Besides, it's a fact anime was heavily influenced by old Disney, and vice versa by the "renaissance" era in the 1980s and 1990s, whereas it was influenced by Tezuka and Miyazaki.

FYI, "Christianity/Judaism moral culture" is an oxymoron, because apart from both being Abrahamic religions, couldn't be more different. In fact, Judaism closely followed is more akin to Islam. Frankly, the only interpretation which comes close in Christianity is the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:00 pm; edited 5 times in total
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Okay, sorry for my opinion that it's not healthy for a grown man to be obsessed with something like MLP?

Nobody is angry for your opinion. People are angry about your stereotyping, shaming, and choice of deliberately insulting language. The two are not the same thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7