• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Legends and Myths Behind The Ancient Magus' Bride

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:58 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene, thanks for responding. If the manga-ka was at a local AZ con, I would ask him that question. A 12/8/2017 "Ancient MagusBride" Reddit page called ""Ruth's real life dog breeds?" lists a few candidates: black retriever/Golden Lab*, Flat-Coated Retriever, Groenendael, Leonberger

*I PM'd the person that mention this cross the following:
Quote:
You mentioned "black Retriever". "black Retriever" is quite vague. There are 6 recognized dogs with "Retriever" names recognized by major kennel clubs like AKC or TKC: Chesapeake Bay, Curly-Coated, Flat-Coated, Golden, Labrador, and Nova Scotia Duck Tolling. The 7th "Retriever"-named breed I know of is the Murray River Retriever, which is an Australian variant of the Curly-Coated. So, which of the standard six does the "black" refer to?

If one wants to get a Murray, the Curly-Coated Retriever Association of Victoria site has 14 breeders but they are all Aussie-based.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:41 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:

In other versions of the story, he was not baptized, but became the "wandering Jew" Ahasuerus, of whom there were supposed sightings as late as the 1600s in Europe, kind of like an early Renaissance Elvis.

The character also makes an appearance in Matthew Lewis' 1796 Gothic novel The Monk in a totally random 100 page embedded narrative where he interacts with a creation known as "The Bleeding Nun." It's fascinating if you're interested in Gothic literature and/or "Wandering Jew" depictions.

@Kadmos1

My dog is a black Labrador retriever, the type known as English with a generally stockier build and big "block" head. At 102 pounds and with a special "intruder" bark, I can see why his breed would come up as a possibility!
unready

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
unready wrote:
In other versions of the story, he was not baptized, but became the "wandering Jew" Ahasuerus, of whom there were supposed sightings as late as the 1600s in Europe, kind of like an early Renaissance Elvis.

The character also makes an appearance in Matthew Lewis' 1796 Gothic novel The Monk ...

... which is a modern work of fiction, rather than a myth or legend, although it does raise the question whether Christian apocrypha itself (versus other myths or legends) is fiction. If it's not in the Bible, does that make it false? If it is in the Bible, does that make it true?

Well, I'm not trying to derail the thread. I'm just pointing out there are folklore sources for the elements in the story other than just British fey.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
^ Oh, yes, sorry, I didn't mean to negate (or sound like I was trying to negate) your point. The Monk is just my favorite appearance of his. It's an interesting question about the apocrypha. Did you read the manga Raqiya that One Peace Books translated? It's certainly relevant to the question.
unready

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
^ Oh, yes, sorry, I didn't mean to negate (or sound like I was trying to negate) your point. The Monk is just my favorite appearance of his. It's an interesting question about the apocrypha. Did you read the manga Raqiya that One Peace Books translated? It's certainly relevant to the question.

No offense taken, if you're worried about that. I've read a few manga, but I'm not really a manga reader, and Raqiya is not one I've read. Hmm, it has a small number of volumes. Maybe it'll happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2