• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PERSONA 5 the Animation (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zerreth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa, I think you need to separate yourself from the game a bit as well as take a look at both the game aspects and the animation separately to some regard. While it's definitely important to see what is different and how they've adapted certain parts, I feel like it's equally important to pay attention to parts of the game from a different angle.

First off, I will agree that a bunch of parts appear to have been arranged in a way which doesn't make much sense logically. i.e. Securing the route but then somehow coming across various issues and obstacles that should have been addressed earlier, understanding how guns work, how they acquired weapons, picking locks and code names (though this can shift around a bit if written well in my opinion). Many of these pieces should have happened a lot earlier. I understand the show is pressed for time and can't really dedicate an entire episode to dungeon crawling, but these ideas seem to come in really late or shoved in hastily to check off a box.

There are a couple of your complaints that don't quite make sense to me, the primary one referencing timeslots and making lock picks and my question to that would be "why is that a problem?" The time slot mechanic was very obviously created for game balance purposes. It's an aspect that most definitely should not carry over. In fact, there's that meme in the english speaking community about how Morgana always comments that you look tired and should go to sleep because so much of the game cuts into your night time slot for some reason. The game was purposefully restrictive to develop a challenge buffer. This should not carry over. I think they handled this aspect well in terms of having everyone split up, prepare, and then meet up at night.

The warping suggestion doesn't make much sense either. That part is clearly in the game to reduce the tedium of crawling through the entire dungeon and to help save progress. In-world wise, how could they just "start there"? I saw the entire route securing aspect in-game as making a path for the most optimal and least obstructive way to get to the treasure. The warping aspect was implemented for game purposes to keep the player from constantly having to retread the same ground to make progress faster. (P.S. I too secured a route first day whenever possible) This does repeat my first point regarding scene arrangement where I do agree that it doesn't make sense that they "secured a route" only to come across a new trap while following that optimal route....

Complaints aside, I do like how during the montage Mona was there tutoring Joker on how to pick the lock. I think more character interaction and indirect world/character building needs to be incorporated to make this anime feel like its own thing and stand alone.

I agree with DuskyPredator that this show still feels like it's sticking too much to the game and not working on being it's own entity. You can break the episode down into very discernible chunks of content and label a game mechanic they're trying to introduce and doesn't feel like it's flowing very well overall.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
I definitely am aware that a lot of my complaints about "the game does this" would clearly need to be changed for an anime, but I also think the anime could and should have mentioned something about how since the route is secure, they don't need to go dungeon crawling again. I think the anime could've worked around that.

I feel like a lot of my complaints would be easier to ignore if I thought the plot and series logic was at least following its own thing in an easy to understand way, but to me, it really isn't. Why would they ever go dungeon crawling to "secure the infiltration route" without prepping first? Shouldn't they have gone to buy guns and supplies before they went through the dungeon the first time? That sort of logic fails on its own, even without involving the game. Especially because they had already encountered several enemies before during Joker and Ryuji's awakenings.

Then there's also the complete lack of "slow moments" that the game had plenty of. But the game used them to develop their characters further by showing what some of their quirks might be. For an early example, pretty much any time a character discusses what they want their code name to be is a good opportunity for playful banter and yet the anime clearly wasted it. Here, it feels like everyone's borderline speaking exposition most of the time, so I'm really not familiar with their personalities much. They were so quick to just throw their code names out to meet the "the game did this" quota that they missed a large reason of why they did the code names in the first place. But when I watched the OVA, despite the characters appearing for a lot shorter time, they still had more banter between them and you could still tell their personalities quite easily. In less screen time! It doesn't matter how many hours the game you're based on is, if you can't manage ANY character personality in 4 episodes, you're doing something wrong regardless. And Joker is a silent protagonist, how does he have way more personality at this point in the game when he can actually speak in the anime?

But then there's also just the fact that the fight scenes are pretty boring. I know anime these days can do a LOT better than this. Even Pokemon Sun/Moon has upped its game significantly in the fight animation department (and that's a show for kids that has to be pumped out weekly for all of eternity).

So yeah, I feel like this is failing on so many fronts that are completely unrelated to the game. And that's in addition to things like the plot clearly being rushed. All video game to anime adaptations are going to need to drop things. The question is, does it feel like anything is being dropped? I would probably still feel like things are being dropped, even if I hadn't played Persona 5 already.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:51 am Reply with quote
Hi, im new here Very Happy . I really liked the P5 Game, but the Anime fail in so many ascpects. I Codenames? Pff, later. Well maded Monsters? Not. And the most disappointing at Moment: Confidents. One of the most interesting NPC and spoiler[my favorite love interest] is introduced like: "this is an weird doctor who gives you strange medicine. Make Friends with her!" in like, uh, 10 seconds? Rolling Eyes They (Anime makers) dont love the Game...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 26

I am confused, was that the last episode? It surely looked like a bad end.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji says "Yeah, right" at the end of the episode... The story will probably be concluded with OVAs, web episode thingies or something. Probably.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunatly, its not full on YouTube in my Area... But he spoiler[ dont get killed by akechi, thats only an cognition ] Wonder what Girl / women he would get for Romance in the Anime, the Teacher would be an really bold move.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Persona 5 the Animation -The Day Breakers- (special)

Okay, that was much more satisfying than what it felt right after the TV series. I can see what they were doing with ending the series the way it did, but it left making it feel like one huge downer, while the beginning of the special really picked it back up again. It did make itself pretty complicated in trying to explain itself, at least at first, and I like that there would have been one clue that gave things away to someone's true nature earlier.

Felt like a lot was put in over the 50 minutes, where it felt like they went up to the final boss. I did rate the TV series as Decent, but I am wondering now if I was a little salty, I wonder if I was coloured a bit wrongly from a shaky start in it. I do think that this special did feel above the earlier series, so I give it a Good (7/10) ratting.

In terms of my thoughts of Pesona 5 in general, it was since the tv series (a few weeks back) that they revealed that they revealed that Joker will be added into Smash Ultimate. So an enthusiast of Smash, I am pretty interested in that. Generally also been thinking I probably should pick the game up for PS4.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:30 pm Reply with quote
PERSONA 5 the Animation -Stars and Ours- (special) (finale)

That was good, a definitive end to the show that feels complete. Before starting my thoughts on the finale in particular, a quick update that since my last post, I actually did get the game on PS4 and was really enjoying it. I am not incredibly far, really only just defeated Madarame, it is the sort of game that has consequences for how you spend your time and when I do play I try and get the most out of everything. Probably spent way too much time simply grinding in a palace or Mementos when I found myself in there while still able to go on, getting a few hundred yen at a time (is there even a point to working?). I do think actually playing the game changed my perception and enjoyment with the series, and I hope to get BDs to watch it again, as well as finishing the game in my own time.

The finale did get into a bit of a cosmos level thing, with the likes of a god formed by the collective nature of the masses. Interesting that it had one more twist up its sleeve with the spoiler[identity of Igor that Joker had been talking to the whole time]. I enjoyed it. Although, as an addition of playing the game now, I also see how the game may have had some missed chances to play up some of the style of the game. Sure it has its clean animation parts, but I also thought the game makes an impact with its bold style choices, which I seem to remember the anime pulled from occasionally, but probably could have done a better job if applied that to what makes it an anime. Since I would say Persona 5 game puts most of that style into game mechanics such as game menus, or the high impact all out attacks that the anime practically lifted. I don't want to be totally negative, and chances are that I really don't know what I am saying, but I kind of think that rather than this just be the animation of Persona 5, it could have been the Persona 5 of animation if it leant a bit more into style.

Truth be told, my experience of kind of not really sold at the start of the anime, being disappointed with how the TV series ended in not being fulfilling, to kind of feeling it in the first special, and playing some of the game in becoming a fan before the finale, even at this juncture of reaching the end of The Animation, it kind of still feels incomplete. Whether I might enjoy it more the second time if I ever have the chance, hopefully they could manage to dub it or something. Or perhaps I was tainted by outside influences of the anime that colour my perception other than what was in the anime. Regardless, at this point I can only give a rating now for this special, and I kind of feel good about it, so my rating is a Very good (8/10), don't miss it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2