• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Public Dragon Ball Super Screenings Draw Thousands in Latin America

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
You will never love your significant other as much as Latin America loves the Dragon Ball franchise.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't think even Saint Seiya would pull that off
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
The Super God Fist thumbnail always gives me a smile.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
they may not have been authorized through Toei Animation.

Look for the footage of any of the screenings and you can see the logo of the ilegal website they used for it so yeah I would say it wasn't authorized
kamui85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
this was a match 2 years in the making, i really doubt this becomes a trend. i understand toei wanting to protect their intellectual property but if this does repeat in the future its because the art they've produced has reached out of their hands and into cultures all over the world and in that sense i cant compare it to a pay per view boxig match for example.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball is Latin America's favorite anime, followed by Captain Tsubasa and Saint Seiya.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
Look for the footage of any of the screenings and you can see the logo of the ilegal website they used for it so yeah I would say it wasn't authorized

Wait they really had public events and had the audacity to just use a restreaming site? That’s hilarious, but sad at the same time. You’d think someone would have a CrunchyRoll account. Granted, I watched it Sunday, but I know they have crazy server shutdowns on Saturdays when DBS comes out. They really need to get that fixed. I know MHA probably won’t generate the same traffic DBS did when it finishes airing, but it still is ridiculous for paying members to not have access to their catalog.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
How-come some of those events being non-profit is any justification whatsoever? even if the event's producers aren't making any money that doesn't change the fact that the copyright holder is losing it. I completely understand Toei's posture on this, this isn't about dragon ball, it is about making an stance so this sort of things don't keep on popping up elsewhere in the world. as a fellow Latin American this disgusts me, it only reinforces the socially selfish leech stereotype the world knows us for. I would like to see Toei Suing these people but it is most likely not gonna happen since the legal fees over the months an international lawsuit would take are most likely exceed what they would be able to get from it
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:46 pm Reply with quote
While it is nice to see a beloved anime series bring many folks together, the method that contributed to that unity is not good.
alvorado

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
While it is nice to see a beloved anime series bring many folks together, the method that contributed to that unity is not good.

Excuse me while I wipe my tears for poor Toei and Toriyama as they trudge their way sadly across to the bank. Won't anyone think of the poor children? How will they recover from this unseemly tragedy?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
@alvorado (which coincidentally is similar to my mom's maiden last name): You win the thread with that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
i work with a few hispanics and they tell me the dragon ball series was dubbed and broadcasted in spanish before it was dubbed in english. one i know says he remembers moving to the U.S. with his parents and was dissapointed to see that america was a hundred or so episodes behind. aside from that, i have no idea how its so much more popular in latin america. i mean, its the most popular anime in the world. pretty popular here in america. but how its got like twice that popularity down south i have no idea. i liked it when i was a kid but i cant say i enjoy it anymore. I know alot of people are easily entertained by action and big speeches backed by weak characterization, but not me.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:

Anyone which is paying a Crunchyroll membership should know that the moment new episode Dragonball Super goes live, crunchy streaming starts to malfunction (at least in latinamerica), I gave up on the idea of streaming anything on crunchy on saturday nights. So they could have beforehand contacted Crunchy and could have paid a membership (or heck, used a free pass) but once you have a hundred or a thousand people expecting to see something on a giant screen, downloading a file (or showing a pirate stream) becomes the logical option.

I know the next comment would be "But Toei is making a Tantrum that they have not sold the rights for mass events projection", yeah, neither they advertised said license. Let's be real, we have known for months that Dragonball Super was going to end and it was to be expected that it will end with a big flashy fight (that was the whole idea behind this tournament, to woo Zeno-sama) and this is bigger than a football final since there won't be another big flashy fight until the ending of the NEXT arc of dragonball, which won't happen in at least two years.

So they have plenty of time to plan an ad campaign when the next big ending comes, their lack of planning botched this opportunity. Amazon is showing american football games at local cinemas, if Toei had any foresight they could have done the same with the last two episodes of DBS and made Akira Toriyama even richer.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
If anything, it looks like at least one showing got the rights to screen the episode through Crunchyroll. The way some of these were set up doesn't seem like it would be an ideal way to read subtitles, but it must have been pretty crazy to watch with so many fans.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
In this bleak world, I can at least think about the fact that Latin America holds viewing parties for DBS like it's freakin Times Square at New Year's and smile.

And while I get that yeah Toei is in the right to protect their IP... way to be buzzkills dudes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2