• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Love Live! Sunshine!! BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oggers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:09 am Reply with quote
tomdean wrote:
Sunshine is clearly targeted at a younger audience; this is absolutely fine, some animes are for a younger crowd and some for older. I just personally find Sunshine at times cringey, at times childish and at times Disney-like. Judging by its success, I can only say that, if people enjoy it, great, but it's not for me.

The entire Love Live franchise is aimed at an older male audience, since its manga adaptations and all its print materials run in Dengeki G's, which is a seinen magazine. I'd say the biggest reason Sunshine comes off as "childish" is due to its comedy being a lot more zany and focused on slapstick.

And honestly, "Disney-like" is a descriptor that can be applied to the entire franchise. You basically go in while expected to buy into the idea that a bunch of 15-17-year-old girls can successfully write and compose entire songs (and somehow get full instrumentations for them; it's never explain how they do this), choreograph dance numbers, and design and make highly detailed costumes with little to no adult involvement and when only half of them have any musical experience prior to becoming a group. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, since it's not like every story has to be highly realistic, but Sunshine's highly idealistic and Disney-like tone is something that the franchise has always had.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2