• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: P.A. Works Reveals Sirius the Jaeger Original TV Anime Project

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:11 am Reply with quote
Wow, an hyper-violent action show done by PA Work! Hopefully it’s better than Kuromukuro.

I have faith in Sword of Stranger’s director, so sign me up!
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:32 am Reply with quote
Man, this looks awesome. I am absolutely down for some more Masahiro Ando. And at P.A. Works too! 2018 is looking amazing.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:01 am Reply with quote
Hell yeah this looks great! It's funny because the other day they announced another original PA works with 2 moeish girls and I was like "oh boy, how I wish PA works stopped with their moe obsession and did some kickass action thriller like Canaan again" and here we are: Ando and PA Works pairing again to bring us some cool action stuff.
And yes, 2018 is kicking some major ass anime-wise Laughing
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:56 am Reply with quote
Well, they plastered Koyasu-san's name on the cast so I'm in regardless of whatever series it may be.
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote
This can only be a miracle: an anime whose theme is not a drama made by P.A Works. Finally, after years the company decided to work with other types of gender.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:41 am Reply with quote
The reason. 2d>3d was just explained in 1 minute and 23 seconds.
WarrFork

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:05 am Reply with quote
That reloading gun sound felt like it was taken from those free sound banks. I feel like I heard it in many games.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:25 am Reply with quote
I remember enjoying "Hanasaku Iroha" back when it debuted as a Spring 2011 anime. The same director and same studio can shift from a calming drama like that to a dark and violent action show like this. That is reason enough for me to enjoy it.

Another thing to note is that the MyAnimeList article for this show mentions that Yuliy will be played Yuuto Uemura (Hiro in "Darling in the Franxx"). Just from that, I can see Matt Shipman playing Yuliy. I actually just tweeted Matt about that a few minutes ago.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Dian Z

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, the animation in the pv looks gorgeous. While I enjoyed Sword of the Stranger, the thing that I love most about the movie is the engaging and fluid animated action sequences, which I suppose the credit goes more to the responsible animators, most notably Yutaka Nakamura. Yet I kinda see the same vibe in the pv action sequences, so I hope Ando would again bring the best of the animators just as he did in the Sword (or I don't know how much of a possibility this could be, but maybe he could bring Sword's animators on board for this too).
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
Well, the animation in the pv looks gorgeous. While I enjoyed Sword of the Stranger, the thing that I love most about the movie is the engaging and fluid animated action sequences, which I suppose the credit goes more to the responsible animators, most notably Yutaka Nakamura. Yet I kinda see the same vibe in the pv action sequences, so I hope Ando would again bring the best of the animators just as he did in the Sword (or I don't know how much of a possibility this could be, but maybe he could bring Sword's animators on board for this too).

It is very unlikely. The Stranger's Sword was from 2007, after that he had another chance at something of action like Canaan, yet the series does not really have enough notoriety for people to refer it to. Then there was Blast of Tempest, which managed to at least be a highlight, most of the animators were remarkable. Even so, he did not even come close to Bones' previous and later productions. But it had great quality, really.

I think Canaan was an unfortunate work with a director at a good time, but that can not take full advantage of the work. At least, that's what the fans of Sakuga do not understand. Not all of the directors who have had a lot of time working with Bones are able to bring animators with whom they have already worked, even in very successful works. Seiji Mizushima worked on Concretion Revolution, an original Bones anime, and featured hundreds of great animators.

He is currently working on Beatless, the work does not stand out at all! He was not able to bring even one entertainer with whom he worked on Bones' big show series. The director of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood has worked throughout the series with hundreds of fantastic animators. After the series was over and he returned to being a freelance director, he was never able to muster some of those animators with him. To this day his works can be considered at best good. And just!

Director Shingo Natsume, who was director of One Punch Man, and who will direct a series this summer at Madhouse, did ACCA. Although the series itself is very well produced and has some beautiful highlights of animation, it was not able to bring together the same team to do it. Many of the animators were already on other projects. This time he will direct another work in the Madhouse, but we will see if he will get the same contribution from his colleagues.

Not always a director who worked in great productions and who has contact with great artists can be happy in new productions in different studios.

But I believe he will make a good series with a good highlight. But nothing like what you did before, nothing!
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
The only other non-PA Works style PA Works show that I've seen is Another and I thought that was a fun ride. Will check this one out too.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
P.A. Works is instant in for me
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:

The animators definitely deserve a good bit of credit, but so does Ando. He's a marvelous action director and storyboarder, and a fantastic animator himself. Good action storyboarding should not be underestimated, and unfortunately often is, even by people within the sakuga community, myself included.
I don't know who we'll see on this project, but people bringing their friends onto projects they are involved with is par for the course, and Ando has good connections. Whether or not they are available is another question, but I have a feeling we'll see Hidetsugu Ito, at the very least. I spotted some of his tells in the PV already, and he hasn't been too active lately, so it would make sense for him to have been busy on something.
Wonderllama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:57 am Reply with quote
Looks interesting! But of all the voice actors listed, only two are women. I hope more female characters are included. I get bored when it's mostly guys!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Considering this studio helped make one of my all-time fave anime, "Sakura Quest", this is a must watch for me. Despite the fact it takes place in 1930 Tokyo, the dark and grim setting reminds me of a Western setting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2