• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A.I.C.O. -Incarnation-

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
If 4Kids (under that name) was still going strong, would it have been worse if they dubbed this show, even no censorship was done?

I disagree. 4Kids may have wrongly handled some of their licenses (though it should be noted that most of the censorship wasn’t their choice), but the number one thing I always feel like they got right was how enthusiastic and trained their voice actors were. You can tell they’re trying and even having fun.

The voice actors in AICO sound like they don’t give two bunny turds. I pray Netflix never makes this mistake again.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:48 am Reply with quote
Well, unlike most commenters here, I don't have to worry about the dub.
The show was very entertaining. I especially loved the living suits and how they needed to eat and excrete. Nice attention to details. Sure, the bad guy was cliche, but it wasn't unbearable. Liked the ending even though it was predictable.
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:51 am Reply with quote
I must be the only person on this forum who can't consider a happy ending "predictable" anymore. I was thinking of all the terrible ways it could have gone as I was watching (Kazuki especially is a walking death flag factory), and genuinely surprised at how effortlessly it opted out of even cheap shots I thought it was obligated to take for the sake of genre.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:45 am Reply with quote
I thought the days of low budget foreign English dubs of anime were over. But just like the issue of fansubbers putting out a product much quicker than the official distributors could, Netflix just had to come along and dig it up.

That's the thing I hate most about Netflix's foray into anime. I mean, Anime fans ARE an entitled bunch. They'll complain about the western industry even as they're illegally downloading official subtitles two hours after the Japanese broadcast in much higher quality than any fansub group from way back would have put out in two days. But this is different. This is a legitimate problem, and unlike Anime Strike I feel they're actually invested in this for the long run.

When those guys I mentioned complain about nothing, they're annoying. But give them a reason to complain, and it's even more annoying because you can't help but agree on a certain level.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
Key wrote:
And yes, Odex Pte. Ltd. was the dubbing studio that also first came to mind when I heard this dub, though we also can't forget about Arventil Media Group (the company behind the epically-awful Green Green dub).

What was especially bad about Arvintel was that they actually got a hold of some *REALLY* good actors. It was just the direction that was awful.

Stephanie Sheh, Cindy Robinson, Erin Fitzgerald, Bryce Papenbrook, Doug Erholz, and Ethan Murray are just a few of the really talented people who have all starred in Arvintel dubs, and pretty much all sounded terrible because Ruben Arvisu is a cheap, talentless hack.

I remember watching the dub for Kanokon because the cast looked pretty good. But for some reason... everyone was awful! I know Dorothy Fahn and Mona Marshall are better than that. Must have been some really bad direction to make them sound so stilted.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:05 am Reply with quote
A.I.C.O Incarnation is one of the best Netlix original anime series for this year, and the other one is B The Beginning, IMHO. And this anime is somewhat similar to another Netlix original series called Altered Carbon where in the future, a dead human body could transfer to an artificial or synthetic body and humanity became immortal thanks to science. It looks scary to us but it might happen in the distant future. Shocked
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I thought the days of low budget foreign English dubs of anime were over. But just like the issue of fansubbers putting out a product much quicker than the official distributors could, Netflix just had to come along and dig it up.

Despite that Bugs Bunny clip, Florida is still part of the US. Laughing
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch dubs.. so no comment there. As for AICO itself.. I am enjoying what I am seeing so far.. 8 episodes in.. so just past halfway and this series seems to be holding up pretty well unlike some of the other Netflix titles I have seen.

Obviously I will withhold verdict until the series finale.. but if it keeps up its a good watch.

So updating this post now.. I just finished this series last night.. I have mixed opinions on the ending.. generally I thought it was a good wrap up.. however without spoiling anything some of the final choices made befuddle me.. but overall definitely one of the better Netflix titles out there.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Well, unlike most commenters here, I don't have to worry about the dub.
The show was very entertaining. I especially loved the living suits and how they needed to eat and excrete. Nice attention to details. Sure, the bad guy was cliche, but it wasn't unbearable. Liked the ending even though it was predictable.

I felt pretty cheated by the ending. spoiler[The entire build up was about how a sacrifice was necessary, and thanks to Gummi magically saving the day, everyone lives happily ever after (except the bad guy I guess). I'd be just fine with a happy ending for everyone, but how it happens just feels like someone pulled it out of their ass at the last second.] Other than that, I liked it a lot.
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
As I see it, unless you're Final Fantasy XIV or XV and have a huge boner for heroic sacrifices, bittersweet endings are still affected by that age old rule of storytelling where any plan described on screen is doomed to fail.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly surprised this got such a positive reception. I'm halfway through now and it's so full of tired old and overused clichés that - if i didn't know it was a new show - i could have sworn i already watched it before and somehow forgot about it...does it get more original later? Or should i rather check out one of the other Netflix shows instead? It's not like i've got any time to waste before the new season is starting...
NishizawaMihashi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:06 am Reply with quote
So the company in question is Malaysian?

A company from my country?

What was Netflix thinking?

What was that specific company even thinking?

Ever since I got hold of this news, I've blacklisted that company in my 'No-go list' and to those who watched the show in the English dub, I can only apologize for the absolute patheticness of my countrymen- an absolute shame, total disgrace. That the company in question even exists is mortifying to me.

A key concern of mine is that this news would lead others to think that just because this one company is the definition of 'unprofessionalism', that the overall quality of the Malaysian workforce is just as bad. I can only pray that it won't come to that as I know many individuals who are very capable in their work but lack the exposure and resources.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:49 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
AICO Incarnation is the first Netflix original anime production that I liked and the animation quality, character development, and story were good. The biggest weakness is the English dub which is horrible to the point where it might be the worst anime dub I have heard in the last decade. Netflix can be cheap like any company and this does make me wonder about their future anime productions.

after their absolute destruction of the precure series aka glitter force and that god awful will smith jr movie, everything they do when it comes to anime english dubs must be looked with extreme skepticism and MUST BE EXTREMELY scrutinized like a fine tooth comb when it comes to any english dubs from now on!

especially after this debacle where they pretty much did a NIS America and right stuff and gave this english dub the animax asia treatment (even though the dub studio aren't theirs) from this east asian company.

a B- was WAY TOO GENEROUS for this atrocity!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2