• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: 5 HIDIVE Features for the Anime Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
I've had HiDive for 9 months and it just keeps getting better.

I'd ask the team to focus on developing the XboneX & PS4 apps and dubbing more shows. My brother got more interested in HiDive due to Food Wars! (Great job with the dub/cast) but more dubs are needed to really grow. Another cool idea would be to make an alliance with Latin American dubbing houses and include Spanish dubs (boy would I pay a premium for that) since the US has a sizable Spanish speaking population.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
HIDIVE wants to make sure anime fans can access as much content as possible. To help ensure that, the service is providing its early adopters with a special lock-in rate of only $3.99 USD/mo for the next two years! That means subscribers can have access to all of the above plus all the awesome stuff that comes out in the future (and trust us, there are a lot of cool things brewing in the HIDIVE)! Fans have until April 8, 2018, to take advantage of the special pricing.

This seems like a good deal for me, and something I should think about. I checked out the website HDIVE a few times and like what I have seen so far. This is going to come down with how my finances are looking as I am already subscribe to netflix. Plus I have thought about subscribing to crunchyroll someday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
VigorousJammer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I signed up for Hidive as soon as they announced the lock-in rate last month, and as somebody who generally just watches on their PC, I've been pretty satisfied with it.

They seem to be much more devoted to licencing stuff in a more permanent (or at least longer-term) fashion, which is something I definitely prefer over Crunchyroll's "there one day and gone the next" approach. Hidive also has more vintage stuff, and live-action stuff, which are both great.

The one thing I will say is that I'm not a fan of the fonts or placement of their subtitles. They tout being able to customize the subtitles, too... but literally the only customization you can do is change the color from yellow to white, which is so little customization that it's shocking they even advertise it.

Still, the positives definitely outweigh the negatives, and I'm interested to see where they go as they continue to develop. A streaming app would definitely be a nice addition, even though I don't think I would personally use it very much.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
VigorousJammer wrote:
They seem to be much more devoted to licencing stuff in a more permanent (or at least longer-term) fashion, which is something I definitely prefer over Crunchyroll's "there one day and gone the next" approach. Hidive also has more vintage stuff, and live-action stuff, which are both great.

0.o

Hidive has barely been around for nine months... Not even a quarter of the time the average show hangs around on Crunchy. (Based on the number of shows I watched in 2014 on Crunchy that are still available on Crunchy.)

So, it's a bit to too early to come to any sort of conclusion as to the "permanence" of Hidive's licenses, especially when you've so badly exaggerated Crunchy's.
VigorousJammer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:16 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
VigorousJammer wrote:

0.o

Hidive has barely been around for nine months... Not even a quarter of the time the average show hangs around on Crunchy. (Based on the number of shows I watched in 2014 on Crunchy that are still available on Crunchy.)

So, it's a bit to too early to come to any sort of conclusion as to the "permanence" of Hidive's licenses, especially when you've so badly exaggerated Crunchy's.

I'll agree that it's too early to say, but things are looking really good so far on Hidive.

For services like Netflix and Crunchyroll, I feel like I'm constantly hearing about things being removed left & right as new stuff is cycled in, and it's happened with shows I've wanted to watch, and also with manga I've wanted to read. Even though the shows themselves may have lasted for longer than 9 months, it seems like Crunchyroll is consistently letting licenses expire month after month.

To me, it's not worth signing up for a service where watching something might be a gamble as to whether or not you'll be able to finish it in time before it's removed, and if HiDive goes the same route, I'll likely cancel at that point as well.
9 months with zero removals from their service is really good looking no matter how you slice it, though.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Hopefully they’ll add the rest of Sentai’s Amazon exclusives soon.
Also regarding uncensored home video cuts, Parasyte is still only available via broadcast version, even though the Region 1 blurays have been out for almost 2 years. Akame ga Kill’s home video version is only available with the English dub. This compared to more recent shows like Chivalry of a Failed Knight and Food Wars that available in both broadcast and home video cuts.

Then perhaps that thumbnail on this article should say "uncensored for most titles".
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:27 am Reply with quote
VigorousJammer wrote:
I'll agree that it's too early to say, but things are looking really good so far on Hidive.

For services like Netflix and Crunchyroll, I feel like I'm constantly hearing about things being removed left & right as new stuff is cycled in, and it's happened with shows I've wanted to watch, and also with manga I've wanted to read. Even though the shows themselves may have lasted for longer than 9 months, it seems like Crunchyroll is consistently letting licenses expire month after month.

0.o What else would you expect? With a couple thousand titles in the catalog, there's always going to be some rotation. Crunchy's budget is only so big and not every show has the same amount of interest.

Expecting a service to never drop titles is... unrealistic at best.

Quote:
9 months with zero removals from their service is really good looking no matter how you slice it, though.

Not really, no. It's about what I'd expect from a new service with a fairly small catalog. Get back to me in two or three years.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to check this out, but with no actual streaming apps, I'll have to pass for now.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
I've had HiDive for 9 months and it just keeps getting better.

I'd ask the team to focus on developing the XboneX & PS4 apps and dubbing more shows. My brother got more interested in HiDive due to Food Wars! (Great job with the dub/cast) but more dubs are needed to really grow. Another cool idea would be to make an alliance with Latin American dubbing houses and include Spanish dubs (boy would I pay a premium for that) since the US has a sizable Spanish speaking population.
HiDive doesn't actually dub anything, they just get the rights to offer dubs if they're available when possible. They just get the licenses, do the streaming, and are developing their own apps to make using them more convenient. Even their first dubcast title, Devil's Line, isn't going to be dubbed by them, but rather by Sentai. who they've made a deal with to allow them to simulcast and dubcast it.

If they were to offer Spanish dubs they'd do so by offering them for shows with Spanish dubs already and negotiating with the companies that made those Spanish dubs for the right to offer them. Unfortunately there's a chance that regional licensing issues could make those dubs only available in the same region/country that the company that released those dubs has the rights to release it in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2