• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces 9 Titles for Spring Season Dub Lineup, Including Same-Day Tokyo Ghoul:re

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Everybody is wondering FMP, I'm much more worried about if Alex Organ will return to voice Arima in Re; seeing as how Mike McFarland said on twitter that Organ went back to doing theater.

Has Wehkamp been in the show yet? He's been Organ's vocal match for a few shows
Teraman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why people are worried about Hilary Haag returning. They got Spike Spencer back for Rebuild. They got Yuri Lowenthal and Kate Higgins back for Akito the Exiled. They can damn well get back someone who works in the same state.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:
I don't know why people are worried about Hilary Haag returning. They got Spike Spencer back for Rebuild. They got Yuri Lowenthal and Kate Higgins back for Akito the Exiled. They can damn well get back someone who works in the same state.

It’s because she hasn’t done a dub for Funimation in a decade. She also lives a few hours away, has a child, and acting is only a second job for me. She may not have the availability that a simulcast dub requires.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Teraman wrote:

It’s because she hasn’t done a dub for Funimation in a decade. She also lives a few hours away, has a child, and acting is only a second job for me. She may not have the availability that a simulcast dub requires.

I feel like if Luci Christian can make the drive, she can too but I don't know. We will see what happens when the casts start getting announced.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Nitsugalego wrote:
I am the only one with mixed feelings about the Steins;Gate 0 simuldub?

The dub script for the original Steins;Gate was nothing short of a masterpiece. I'm afraid the tighter schedule could force the script writers to opt for a more direct translation, which would severely diminish the final product's quality, in my opinion.

It'll depend on if J. Michael Tatum is writing the script again or not. He put a lot of love into the Steins;Gate script.

If J. Michael Tatum and Patrick Seitz can tag-team the script like they did for the original show, they could still manage a really good script. Still, I see this being one of the last Simuldubs that premieres this season, just to give them the extra time to work on the adaptive script.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Teraman wrote:

I feel like if Luci Christian can make the drive, she can too but I don't know. We will see what happens when the casts start getting announced.

Luci Christian works a lot more as an actress, and doesn’t have a traditional Monday through Friday desk job that can get in the way. She’s also been doing recording at Funimation for years. Hilary hasn’t done anything for them since Trinity Blood.

I would be more optimistic if this was a traditional dub, as it would be easier to record over a shorter period of time. A simulcast dub requires a greater availabilityover several weeks over even months. That could be much more difficult.

Like I said, I will keep my fingers crossed.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Super glad about 2202. Hopefully the movies get licensed as well, at least Ark of the Stars because I heard somewhere that it's a bit necessary for knowing how they came across the Gatlanteans.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:
They got Spike Spencer back for Rebuild.

Unfortunately.

Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see how Funimation dubs the new LoGH.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:

Your Akito example doesn't work since they hired a LA studio for those guys and it's the same one they currently use for Dragon Ball Super.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:

That is not a fair comparison. This is a broadcast dub, not a few scenes where the company has time to get the actor to record all the lines in a day or two. Nobody knows how much dialog various characters like Tessa will have, the actor might not think its worth it to travel to FUNimation's studio every week and maybe only have two lines for the week for all we know, which is very little pay. Although I guess it could work if the actor gets additional roles. Maybe they'll just outsource the dub production.

FUNimation is usually pretty good at returning cast but can't help but worry.

Last edited by Levonr on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
So many sequels and spin-offs, I'm only seeing two dubs I'm really interested in. Good thing I have a HiDive account, I might be going there for the bulk of dubs of new shows.

Emerje

And a prequel/rehash/reboot where "the road not taken" gets covered because coming up with something new for these characters to do would take too much effort.

Oh and two Space Battleship series.

I'm not giving Acahero another try as I've already tried twice now and I just don't see the appeal. Tokyo Ghoul is a little too "shonen hero trope horror" for my tastes of horror. I liked FMP's first season by Gonzo, didn't care for the two split Kyoto Animation follow ups, who knows what this is going to follow; "Serious comedy" or comedy/serious?

Why am I giving these people money again?
lycopene

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

You like wasting money and enjoy reporting this to us every season?
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Teraman wrote:

Unfortunately.

It seems we will always be at a disagreement about this, penguintruth Laughing
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Well none of the anime I was hoping for are on that list but it is a bit early for lamentation since there will be additional announcements.
Teraman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Teraman wrote:

Unfortunately.

Hey buddy, I think you got the wrong door. The bad taste club's two blocks down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4