• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - A Place Further Than the Universe and Back Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:18 am Reply with quote
StarchildStorm wrote:
I need to get back to the show. Kind of only just got on board with it and only seen the first four thus far. Loving the show but I tend to multitask so subs aren't really the most convenient for me.

I know what that is like except that I can manage to watch a show with subtitles as typically when I watch a new show in general (ones with a story), I simply do just that and not much else. I have drop shows in that past that I would like to get back to one day due to getting too busy with life. Anyway, when you do get back to watching A Place Further Than the Universe enjoy yourself.

DuskyPredator wrote:
As mentioned above, picking a clear winner among the girls is hard, as they are all great. In particular I was fond of HInata for her aspects, but I do think that Shirase was the best because I fell in love with her characteristics like appearing sensible, before seeing her much sillier side, yet feeling genuine. Hinata was kind of the perfect opposite of Shirase. Like the perfect foil, before even Mari and Yuzuki also added in their great sides.

Exactly! Concerning Shirase and her qualities I love that at some point even her friends point out how she comes off as mature and overall together on the surface, but is anything but that underneath (much to Shirase dismay). Anime smile

neozxtc wrote:
Such a shame that people aren't willing to give this show as chance because they read the synopsis on CR and are like, I don't get it.

I checked the synopsis on Crunchyroll and yeah it does not do the show justice. It's comes off as vague and does not give anyone an what the plot of this story is suppose to be.

If you want to see a good example of how to write a synospsis for this story, I like the one that was written from the Winter 2018 preview guide.

Quote:
Tamaki Mari (known to her friends as “Kimari”) had big hopes heading into high school. She was going to travel to new places, skip a day of school, and just all-around make the most of her youth. But one day she realizes that she's somehow reached her second year without doing any of those things, because she's afraid. Every time Mari tries to do something new, she gets anxious and backs out at the last minute, and no matter how much she tries, she can't seem to get past that block. Then one day, she sees a girl from her school racing past her at the train station. The girl loses an envelope that turns out to be filled with cash – one million yen. When Mari tracks her down, she tells Mari that her mother was lost on an Antarctic research trip when she was in middle school, and now her goal is to raise money to go find her. She invites Mari to go along with her on the trip, which just may be the push that Mari needs to finally begin living the life she wants.

It gives one enough information to get a sense of what this story is about and it's overall goal. There is also this shorter one from this website encyclopedia that also does a good enough job to give people an idea for what they are in for.

Quote:
Mari Tamaki is in her second year of high school and wants to start something. It's then that she meets Shirase, a girl with few friends who's considered weirdo by the rest of the class and nicknamed "Antarctic" since it's all she ever talks about. Unlike her peers, Mari is moved by Shirase's dedication and decides that even though it's unlikely that high school girls will ever go to Antarctica, she's going to try to go with Shirase.

Quote:
kk1

"A Place Further Than the Universe best show of the season, just an all around well done show, from the animation to music it was all excellent and not a single lull in the story or a dull episode. Plus just not your typical anime with a very realistic look at friendship and adventure, no fan service or over the top comedy and none was required."

Very much in agreement with your friend there especially concerning there never being a dull moment in each episode which is something that is typically uncommon in shows it seems for me (although thinking about it I seem to be watching anime that do not have this problem for me lately).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:08 am Reply with quote
In terms of how descriptions can discourage viewership I suggest Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko ("Girls' Last Tour"). I couldn't imagine wanting to watch a show about two girls trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world, yet when I did so, I found myself watching one of the best shows from 2017.

I didn't have that experience with Sora yori. When I saw it was going to be about girls going to Antarctica, I jumped on board.

However I wouldn't call this show under-appreciated. For that designation, I nominate Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

I didn't have that experience with Sora yori. When I saw it was going to be about girls going to Antarctica, I jumped on board.

I take it you like Antarctica.

yuna49 wrote:

However I wouldn't call this show under-appreciated. For that designation, I nominate Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens.

True. While it might not be quite as popular it does seems like A Place Further Than the Universe is known enough to not be obscure. As for the case of this Hakata Tonkotsu Ramen, I think this is the first I heard of this story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
I take it you like Antarctica.

Not particularly. I like uncommon stories. My attention lagged during the angsty episodes ten and eleven but the last two salvaged the series for me.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Not particularly. I like uncommon stories. My attention lagged during the angsty episodes ten and eleven but the last two salvaged the series for me.

Alright. Thinking about it traveling to Antarctica would be a uncommon story. As for those episodes I see episode 10 and 11 didn't appeal to you. The final two episodes were good, but for me all the episodes were good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2