• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ghoul:re (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote

Main Series Tokyo Ghoul (TV) (discussed here)
Season 1 - Tokyo Ghoul:re (TV)
Season 2 - Tokyo Ghoul:re (TV 2) (discussion stars here)

Genres: action, horror, supernatural
Themes: gore, monsters

Plot Summary: The Commission of Counter Ghoul is the only organization fighting the Ghoul menace, and they will use every tool at their disposal to protect humanity from its ultimate predator. Their newest weapon in this hidden war is an experimental procedure that implants human investigators with a Ghoul’s Kagune, giving them Ghoul powers and abilities. But both the procedure and the newly formed Qs Squad are untested. Haise Sasaki has been tasked with teaching Qs Squad how to be outstanding Investigators, but his assignment is complicated by the troublesome personalities of his subordinates and his own uncertain grasp of his Ghoul powers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 1 is out on Funimation (subbed and dubbed)

The OP song for this season imo is a big improvement compared to Tokyo Ghoul Root. (my favorite is still the very first season's though)

The episode didn't waste much time getting right into with character introductions. The familarity of the thrilling vibe also returns with this season. Felt like the episode is setting up for the rest of the season although I heard the series will be a 1-cour...

It's neat to see characters like Tooru, Sasaki, etc appear in this. I'm definitely feeling some of the psychology from this new series including parts wtih the action already.

Yes, I am prepared for a rushed season if this is 12 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
This season's gore fix starts off with a bang. A new (?) Protagonist and even more characters to what is already an enormous ensemble cast from the existing franchise.

Now that the viewpoint has shifted to the CCG, the series pivot will probably focus on the doves and their extermination agenda. Considering the new Quinx squad isn't much different from the prey, prejudice against Sasaki Jaise and his underlings is to be expected. Mato drew the short straw as their overall supervisor but she's probably used to it since her father had the same career pathway.

Obviously it's the last scene that gets fans excited. Not sure how much will get covered in a quarter but I'm in it for the action which won't be packing from what I've seen so far.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I was getting kind of confused, because Sasaki clearly looked and sounded like Kaneki, but it did not make any sense why he would be with the doves. Admittedly I had to stop to make sure I did not remember the main character's name wrong. The end of episode seemed to be more plain that this is Ken, only with amnesia or different personalities locked away.

I really am not the biggest fan of the franchise, I kind of have a weak stomach for gore, and in general the second season was leaving a bad taste in my mouth over it.

I am also a little confused how these human-ghoul hybrids can eat human food, as I remembered that as a major part of the plot earlier. The preview was especially cool in how it was used in a corrupted manner.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm not watching this (I couldn't get through 2 episodes of the first season, they were too rushed), but my friend who is said that he's extremely worried about rushing, because the OP shows scenes that are from very far into the manga, that there's no way they should be able to get through in 12 episodes (I'm only at volume 3 of re, so I wouldn't know).
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 reintroduces more characters from the previous series.

I'm glad to see Arima and Touka back. The new characters like Saiko also brings a different form of entertainment. As for Haise Sasaki, I have a feeling the season will be a character study focused on him. We'll have to see.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
If there were any doubts on who Haise really is, those should have been dispelled after watching this week's episode. The question then is what on earth happened between the end of Root A and the start of this season. It's especially surprising to see Arima speaking to Haise normally AND offering to visit and borrow books.

Orochi's true identity is a surprise, since the last time viewers saw him he wasn't anywhere near as strong as he is now. Because he's allowed to escape, it's going to be him and Touka (she looks considerably different from two years ago) who start the rumour mill.

I don't know what's the significance of having Urie's thoughts occasionally conveyed to viewers since he's the only character offering such a perspective. Although his motivation for career advancement is not as simplistic nor straight-forward as it was made out to be in the first episode, it doesn't make him any easier to relate to or root for. Typical example of "ends justifying the means" archetype, but is that all he is or will there be surprises down the line?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Yonebayashi is a typical NEET, but she's in the squad for a reason and the CCG doesn't take on plain freeloaders. I suppose viewers will have to wait to find out what she's capable of.

Juuzou has changed slightly since he last appeared. He still has the same combination of naivete and capacity for violence as before from what I can see. He hasn't given up on seeing his boss recover from the coma they put him under since the Owl operation.

It looks like many of the ghouls suspected Haise and Kaneki are the same, but it's still limited to rumour and conjecture since the personalities are so different. A surprising connection between the snooping photographer and Hatakeyama Shu, but the former is not afraid of ghouls and is happy to profit from both the CCG and the ghoul community to feed herself.

Next episode looks like it's going to be a wild one now that so many combat-capable personnel are assembled in one place.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote

Plenty of action, with a few familiar faces featured in this episode. The head of operations seems more interested in manhunts than a rescue operation, but I suppose one doesn't make it to the head of CCG without being ruthless.

I thought Torso only goes for females with scars around their bodies, so what does that mean with relation to Tooru? Tooru's not very useful when bleeding from the middle and without weapons or a means of calling for reinforcements right now.

I thought I heard a familiar name uttered by Eta right at the end, but if that's who I think he is his appearance has changed significantly and he's now a ghoul working for Aogiri. He doesn't appear to have a problem attacking his former colleagues either.

Suzuya Juuzou and the Big Mama appear to know each other. Maybe viewers will find out more in the weeks to come.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Suzuya Juuzou and the Big Mama appear to know each other. Maybe viewers will find out more in the weeks to come.

Well, anyone who's even so much as watched the anime *should* know their relationship already. Big Madam is the one that had kept Juuzou as a slave and tortured him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I seem to remember she mutilated him also.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:

Well, anyone who's even so much as watched the anime *should* know their relationship already. Big Madam is the one that had kept Juuzou as a slave and tortured him.

I stand corrected. Was that in route A or the first season? Didn't bother researching to prepare for this season.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:06 am Reply with quote
Hot damn one of my favorite shows got a sequel? Better catch up and show off my totally unbiased favoritism Smile
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote

The Nutscracker is good, that's an entire squad she finished off on her own despite having her Kagune identified. As noted, she probably needed time to set up her trap so might not be so strong in the open. Doesn't look like the CCG have spare men to send to the security room at present though.

No idea what happened to Takizawa, but he's certainly stronger in his ghoul incarnation and with no inhibitions on killing his former colleagues. Curiously enough he retains his memories of his time as an investigator, but apart from that I don't think he's retained any humanity.

Isn't the Pierrot in the white mask the tattoo artist? His face is different when he's wearing spectacles though.

It's a little unsurprising Urie is in the state he's in, what with his overconfidence that comes with his improved Kagune abilities. It seems the commanding Washuu officer also read his ambitions and used them accordingly to send him on a suicide mission of his own volition. Based on next week's trailer, Urie isn't destined to be digested just yet. Speaking of which, that final scene featuring Fueguchi Hinami might be a hint of what's to come.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:04 am Reply with quote

Surprisingly enough the decision to send just three investigators to finish off the Nutcracker was a sound one, although it took Shirazu some time and effort to get the NEET to show off what she's capable of. Annoyingly enough viewers don't see what she did exactly to blow off all the windows, but it did enough to allow Shirazu to finish her off. Her dying comment also encapsulates another aspect of the show that is sometimes overlooked amid all the gory action: the predator ghouls are no different from the humans they prey on in their material needs and aspirations.

Viewers are not shown why Takizawa is the way he is, but Fueguchi also refers to him as the Owl and isn't able to restrain him when he loses it. I'm curious how he ended up like that and who was responsible for the scheme, but am not sure there'll be enough airtime to get there.

Getting impaled surprisingly triggers the final push needed to allow Mutsuki to manifest her ghoul powers. Ultimately it's Juzou and his team who finish off Big Mama (probably couldn't end it any other way, even if I can't remember the history between the two of them without a rewatch) which leaves just the Owl, Ayato, Naki, Three-blade and the Pierrots as the remaining enemies still standing.

Despite getting outclassed and beaten up throughout this episode, Sasaki Haise still has time to face his inner self and reach an agreement with his former self. The use of the first series's OP is a nice touch (lyrics never grow old for this kind of situation) but does that final scene mean it only ended in a draw?

It looks like next week will focus on what really happened to Kaneki Ken after he lost to the CCG. It's a two year gap from what I can remember from episode 1, so it'll be interesting to see what they can pack into 24 minutes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3