• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ghoul:re (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winnie Bear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:27 am Reply with quote
Preview for #21
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote

Not long to go now. Kaneki is somewhere inside the big monster and the hitherto opposing factions have buried the hatchet for now to get him out before the situation gets any worse.

Ironic that Kaneki Ken dreamed of finding a way to get the CCG to the negotiating table over the topic of coexistence, turns out he's both the cause and the negotiating table over which both sides grudgingly come to an agreement. Human nature: two opposing factions with eternal hatred for each other will put aside their differences if a common and more dangerous foe shows up.

Final scene featuring the remnants of the original Quinx squad is a little overdue, but necessary none the less. Mutsuki broke somewhere over the last few episodes with no small help from Furuta, so at least there's some closure on that front.

Not sure what's behind the big monster randomly spawning hundreds of faceless monsters, but it makes the current time limit even more pressing if Nishino is right with her prognosis.

Next week's trailer looks interesting, turns out someone was dug out. What happens from there though?
Winnie Bear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Preview for #22
Winnie Bear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Preview for #23
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote

Main draw this week is the two centrepiece duels featuring Yomo and Renji as well as Amon Koutarou vs. Donato Porpora. Everyone else involved in the action this episode seems to serve as time-fillers to move the pacing along. Even the appearance of the remote-controlled Owl serves as a distraction for the main corps of the resistance (the trio after all said they were out to buy time, but for what? Another demon spawn rush event?)

Viewers know Renji is tough from the few episodes he does show up in, but this week shows what he's truly capable of. I don't know what was going on in Yomo's head, but he probably won because he'd faced Renji so many times in the past and figured out a way to win no matter the odds.

As for Amon, he's finally got his long-cherished wish. Too bad he had to be a ghoul to get his revenge; even with his new ghoul powers Porpora was playing him like a fiddle until his trick with the copies was found out.

Last episode next week and it's painfully obvious the final centrepiece duel is between Kaneki and Furuta. The latter is always messing around, but he's not lying when he says he's strong as he's proven it many times over this season. Just how far does Kaneki have to push himself to prevail is the big question; no idea why he keeps hallucinating about Rise this episode.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote

As expected, the final duel between Kaneki Ken and Washu Furuta takes up most of the action budget for the final episode. Not sure what Kaneki did to get the extra appendages to his usual ability, but it seemed to do the trick even after Furuta went all out on his end as well. As a character, I never did understand what Furuta was trying for. There was the capricious nihilism, but the skit at the end between him and a younger Rize suggests there was something more. Too bad it's the last episode so only way to find out more is to read the source material.

Who'd have thought the final monster core was Rize? For all Kaneki went through, I don't think he expected to see her once more. He did the job he had to, but the resulting collapse and how he was pulled out appears to be cut to save time.

With the epilogue, it seemed most if not all of the survivors from both camps got some kind of happy ending. No idea if coexistence after all that was really achieved, but the ghouls were shown out in public without their masks on so I suppose the CCG either collapsed as Furuta said they would or the ghouls got some kind of deal. The masks probably wouldn't have mattered after several weeks ago when all of them took theirs off when inside the headquarters, regardless it's one of those details which is left to the imagination.

I've always felt the Tokyo Ghoul animated adaptations started a big compression drive after the first season, namely from Route A onwards. After watching both halves of this third season, the feeling of trying to compress everything inside 24 episodes never really went away. The action scenes as always are a big draw, but characterisation never hit the heights reached in the very first season. Overall, it's entertaining and it's not coming back to screen since it's officially ended.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3