• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2018 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
PFdaCIA wrote:
The reviews of the writers of the site are so "motivating". That's why I advise you to stop writing reviews. Oh really! I think it would be best for the site

tHe rEviEwS oF tHE WriTErs oF ThE SiTe aRE sO "mOTIVatinG". tHAt's WhY i AdViSE yOu tO sTOp WriTING ReVIewS. oH ReALLy! I tHiNK iT wOUld bE bEsT fOr ThE SitE.

"I don't like your reviews so stop writing" - No, they won't stop writing, in fact the irony of this is that you're motivating them to do better.

I'm being sarcastic. I think some of the site reviewers are bad, not all the time, but they are very unhappy most of the time in the reviews. That's my opinion! For example, I found Rebecca's review bad and childish. She exaggerates too much. Anyone with common sense would know in advance what the series has to offer, both the source of their adaptation, as the way the studio often works certain types of series.

Are there bad elements in the series? But something precedes the adaptation, some elements. That's logical reasoning! There are a number of factors to consider before getting into a series based on a game! But it's her opinion, so I can not do anything. What I can do is criticize it for having a bad and inconsistent opinion that will influence others who possibly will not even watch the first episode for you. So I just did my part and gave my opinion. If someone was offended, I'm sorry. It's time to get over this and move on. [Because I do not care!]
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"There's a good chance that the whole thing will make more sense if you're actually into horse racing"

I haven't watched the series yet, but I am very much into horse racing and this did not make ANY sense at all. And the thing is these girls are named after REAL horses. Special Week is a Stallion who won the Japan Cup twice, and has sired foals that have won over 17 million yen.

Mejiro McQueen is the grandfather of Gold Ship, and both of them also stallions. And both are horse girls in this show. It makes zero sense and as a racing fan it makes my brain hurt.

And what the review says about the trainer getting all touchy-feely only makes things all the more creepier.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote
So far I watched Umamusume and I'm watching GeGeGe no Kitaro

I agree with most everyone that episode 2 was a good inclusion as it helped smooth things over after the rough start that was episode 1. Yeah, it still leans hard into contrivances but I there were some scenes I genuinely loved like Special Week's training with her mom which was cute and hilarious and the fact that she didn't know what the hell to do for the idol portion and just stood there.

I don't think I'll follow it but overall it seems harmless enough and it definitely isn't skimping on the animation.

I will admit the horse girls' place in the world is a bit disturbing to me as the opening states they can only run...and the the show seems to prove that to be true. The trainers and managers are all human, you don't see retired horse girls doing commentary or different jobs, so it seems like they only exist to race and perform, which makes the thigh grabbing extra disturbing as the horse girls feel like second-class citizens. I know that's not the intent but I can't help but look at it that way.

GeGeGe no Kitaro caught me by surprise. The animation is solid and it really pushes what they can get away with (the people turnign into trees was fantastic) while still keeping is appropriate for kids. Also, that opening is now stuck in my head. I'll be following this one.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Kiyoko wrote:

I haven't watched the series yet, but I am very much into horse racing and this did not make ANY sense at all.

Good to know, thanks, Kiyoko.

It really is weird that so many of the horses' names are those of stallions; are there more racing stallions than mares? Or just better known ones?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Kiyoko wrote:

I haven't watched the series yet, but I am very much into horse racing and this did not make ANY sense at all.

Good to know, thanks, Kiyoko.

It really is weird that so many of the horses' names are those of stallions; are there more racing stallions than mares? Or just better known ones?

At lower levels of competition, some mares can keep up with stallions, but when you're talking major events like the Triple Crown races people are familiar with, the top of the heap of horse racing, it's pretty much all stallions. They are a little more muscular, which pays off when things get really competitive. But I'm pretty sure a couple girl horses have won at least the Kentucky Derby, the race I'm most familiar with. It's just not as common.
Octonian
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Paul Jensen wrote:
The series does suffer from a common problem amongst mobile game adaptations: character introduction overload. I assume anyone familiar with the game will recognize most of the horse girls, but it's too many names in too short a time for casual viewers to keep up with.

At Anime Japan they were handing out a 34 page character guide, 2 characters per page.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
The schedule: https://myanimelist.net/anime/season
First and addendum to last season. B: The Beginning and the utterly unrecommended A.I.C.O. - Incarnation again proved that Netflix is treating it´s anime catalogue as dumping ground for cheap licenses and this mess can only improve if they bother to produce actual "originals". So i have no reason to bother with their Macross clone this season. On to happier things:

Devils' Line, Major 2nd and Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii are all fairly solid but none kept my interest for too long.

3D Kanojo is a curios case. Its starts of surprisingly well and the second half is such a drag that I ended up writing a MU review. Cutting the 12 volumes tale (it was that long!?!) to a 12 episode core could work. Maybe.

Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory The anime comes a decade too late, the “best” arcs are all adapted and even these don´t quite hold up anymore. Flip though the Sigma manga if you want to see the ending, as 12 eps. won´t be enough to reach it by far.

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu Die Neue These Kaikou
The new LOGH manga is a masterpiece, IG certainly took their time and the preview trailer looks great. My only concert is the incomprehensible release schedule for the project, as sequel films seem to follow the show. Weird and the gaiden stuff looks to be untouched too.

Golden Kamuy frankly confused me for at least 2 volumes until I finally settled into the bizarre tone and enjoyed this borderline original ride. Who knows if the rookie studio can pull this adaptation off but they could have one of the best adventure anime in years on their hands if they do.

Lupin the 3rd: Part 5 Part 4 had a better first then second half, so I wouldn´t mind fewer but more consistent episodes.

Megalo Box Ashita no Joe is one of the finest comics of all time yet I don´t get how this relates. Having TMS do the animation sound promising and the trailer is great. Color me intrigued.

Piano no Mori is a weird case. It has all the marks of a classic but never lives up to it. The 2nd half is the less engaging but this is hardly a concern now. Who will seriously want to cover all 26 volumes though?

Steins;Gate 0 I liked but didn´t love the first adaptation. So far so good and the epilogue OVA ended on a very satisfying note. The film sequel was only ok though and this sequel game relies on ret-cons and rehashes to keeps the franchise going. I obviously hope for the best but don´t expect much.

My interest for Persona 5 and Tokyo Ghoul:re is finally nonexistent, as the usual hack studios are at it. Especially if I consider that both have inferior narratives to previous entries in their respective franchises. Get the source material instead.

The 2nd ep. of Attack on Titan: Lost Girls will conclude the Annie arc, so feel free to stop here. Batman Ninja (an actual anime!) also has me both worried and intrigued. The trailer was meh, suffered a low frame-rate and the writer is hit or miss. Yet IGN gave an advanced screening a 9,7/10 and the character designs are a 10/10. DC´s latest original toon film Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay was lastly a home-run and even got to finally earn the R-rating with through the roof gore.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
joeydoa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I come to the ANN preview guide not to inform myself about what to watch but to see how off the mark the reviews get after I watch an episode. In this edition, my jaw was dropping after reading the excoriation of Umamusume (Pretty Derby). I found it actually to be pretty great. Slice of life and 'cute girls doing cute things' fans do not want to miss this series as being an early contender as the one to watch.

[note to ANN editor: is it possible for each series preview to have its own talkback thread? By the time all the shows are reviewed, the preview guide thread is like 500 pages of posts and all comments are mixed together worse than Amazon product reviews.]

Last edited by joeydoa on Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
So since Special Week was a stallion in real life, can we expect the Umamusume version to have something extra down there? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Panayiotis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
PFdaCIA wrote:

I'm being sarcastic. I think some of the site reviewers are bad, not all the time, but they are very unhappy most of the time in the reviews. That's my opinion! For example, I found Rebecca's review bad and childish. She exaggerates too much. Anyone with common sense would know in advance what the series has to offer, both the source of their adaptation, as the way the studio often works certain types of series.

Are there bad elements in the series? But something precedes the adaptation, some elements. That's logical reasoning! There are a number of factors to consider before getting into a series based on a game! But it's her opinion, so I can not do anything. What I can do is criticize it for having a bad and inconsistent opinion that will influence others who possibly will not even watch the first episode for you. So I just did my part and gave my opinion. If someone was offended, I'm sorry. It's time to get over this and move on. [Because I do not care!]

You just told her to stop writing without any criticism. At least say why you disagree with the review. I think that you attempted to give some reasons in this post, but sadly because of your lack of english skills, it is mostly incomprehensible.

What I think that you are saying is that reviewers should not criticize anime for things that happen in it, if it follows the source material. That is not how any review on any site works, anime or otherwise.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote
In Magical Girl Ore, Saki's mother, the former magical girl, is voiced by Hisakawa Aya. Hisakawa-san has played several magical girl roles, the most famous being Sailor Mercury.

meiam wrote:
Magical girl Ore was... meh. Wanted to like it, but it was slow and those musical segment took forever. I get that the joke is that there terrible at singing... but that doesn't mean I want to hear the full song.

That's only one of the jokes. The other joke was that the lyrics parody the classic Cutey Honey OP.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
Slice of life and 'cute girls doing cute things' fans do not want to miss this series as being an early contender as the one to watch.

Maybe it'll scratch some horse racing fan's itch and end up being their Action Heroine Cheer Fruits, but in a season where Wakaokami wa Shougakusei, Railroad Crossing Time, Comic Girls, Dragon Pilot, Toji no Miko, Love to Lie Angle, Cardcaptor Sakura, Hinamatsuri, and Wixoss are also airing, I can't imagine it will end up "the one to watch" for most cute girls doing ___ things fans.

It'll be a high hurdle to clear.

It will have to work extra hard to pull ahead of the pack.

People won't be chomping at the bit for it.

(Look, I won't waste your valuable time, but I just want you to know I have more horse racing jokes left in the tank.)
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
pwnagemaster wrote:
So since Special Week was a stallion in real life, can we expect the Umamusume version to have something extra down there? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Its actually an harem, she'll have all the fun once she retires, gotta breed more horse girls.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
meiam wrote:
Magical girl Ore was... meh. Wanted to like it, but it was slow and those musical segment took forever. I get that the joke is that there terrible at singing... but that doesn't mean I want to hear the full song.

That's only one of the jokes. The other joke was that the lyrics parody the classic Cutey Honey OP.

That and the fact that it's only Saki who can't sing. I think that's one of the things that kinda endeared this to me. At first it gave off the impression that Saki was really dragging down their partnership since Sakuyo could clearly be a successful idol on her own. But when it turned out that Sakuyo is in love with Saki, whatever her talents or form, that changed everything, and it was a sweet twist.

Haven't yet seen the horse-girl thing (just a short preview), but I don't see any reason why a stallion would have to be reincarnated as a male. I do wonder why there are no horse-boys though (but if this succeeds, I'm sure we'll get that down the line). I might check out a full episode during this slower time, but given all that's coming up, there's no way this is going to make the cut for a full season's viewing, given my 24 hours in a day limitations. Smile
Crext

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, I really liked the art style in Uma Musume Pretty Derby, though the story seem pretty silly. They've primarily integrated you into the story, and I hope they'll turn up a couple of notches on the humor part as we move on and don't just fall back on the tropes. I wonder how they'll actually try to keep your interested beyond 4 episodes on this one though, where it quickly will be for people interested in horse racing or sprinting/tracks more than anything else at this rate (I guess Akira Tachibana will be watching)...

Magical Girl Ore had really good "emotes animation" and was pretty funny at times. I just don't know if I can survive them being in sailor moon costumes for 12 full episodes. If they go down the path of Ranma 1/2, then I'm more than fine with that, but the cross-dressing jokes of "manly, but confident men" are already done to death in other shows and usually come off as weird rather than funny, at least for me. Then again, maybe I'm just not the target audience here.

zrnzle500 wrote:
While GeGeGe no Kitaro was clearly aimed at children...

Good, I wasn't the only one who concluded as such.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 25