• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2018 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Before I forget, here’s what I have to say about the last premieres of the spring season:

Golden Kamuy: Very solid first episode and characters seem very interesting and should have a great rapport together going forward. The CG bear wasn’t great, but other than that, not much to say about it other than it looks to be a nice highlight of the season.

High School DxD Hero: Episode 0 mainly served to retcon the last part of the last season and other than me having to get used to the new designs, everything else was fine. The Oppai song made it extremely hard for me not to burst out laughing and I too like the more bold Asia near the end of the episode. Looking forward to seeing what’s in store for this new season.

Steins;Gate 0: I never expected this series to get another season, but so far, so good. Looks like the new director will do just fine and this first episode pretty much made it very easy for me get back into the swing of things when it comes to Steins;Gate and its’ characters. The new conflict seems interesting and I’m curious to see how exactly it will be handled.

Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory: Man, I’m so glad that this franchise has come back, and it has certainly come back in a very solid fashion. Even the first line of the episode had me grinning stupidly considering how long it actually has been between seasons. I’m pretty much on the same page with the reviewer’s pieces on the episode and I’m curious to see how Leonard will fare as a villain in this season. Hopefully, there can be more episodes to come for this franchise considering how much material there is left to adapt from the LNs. Every season of this franchise had a lot of soul and heart poured into them with clever and interesting directions and I’ll definitely be looking forward to seeing how this season turns out.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Now that we're about two episodes into the season, I'm starting to become thankful that Wixoss and Katana Maidens are airing around the same point in the week. They have drastically different tones that seem to complement each other very nicely, in a way that elevates my enjoyment of both franchises.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
gedata wrote:
Would be nice to have a "Everything You Need to Know Before Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory", you know, a series that could actually use an article of that nature. It's been 13 years since TSR aired after all.

Y-O-U-R-W-I-S-H-I-S-G-R-A-N-T-E-D

Well isn't this embarrassing. Thanks for the link.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
But the problem with that is you need to watch The Second Raid in order the full and proper context of what’s going with Invisble Victory and why certain characters react the way they do in certain scenes. If one doesn’t like The Second Raid, telling them to just skip it and go straight to Invisible Victory is a foolish decision when IV does not skip a beat at all from continuing what TSR did.

(Just noting first that despite mixed feelings I did still enjoy TSR overall.)

While I understand your point, and wouldn’t recommend skipping it in less extreme cases than Zork’s, I only have vague memories of the plot details of TSR from more than a decade ago and had forgotten entire characters. A lot can be picked up from context alone, and if lack of understanding reduced my enjoyment of the episode it nevertheless did not prevent me from enjoying it immensely.

The thing I didn’t like about TSR wasn’t that it was serious in tone but that in my opinion it did a number of the serious things poorly, dropping intentionally silly comic elements for unintentionally silly villains and drama. In that sense IV isn’t directly continuing what TSR did, so far.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
While I understand your point, and wouldn’t recommend skipping it in less extreme cases than Zork’s, I only have vague memories of the plot details of TSR from more than a decade ago and had forgotten entire characters. A lot can be picked up from context alone, and if lack of understanding reduced my enjoyment of the episode it nevertheless did not prevent me from enjoying it immensely.

The thing I didn’t like about TSR wasn’t that it was serious in tone but that in my opinion it did a number of the serious things poorly, dropping intentionally silly comic elements for unintentionally silly villains and drama. In that sense IV isn’t directly continuing what TSR did, so far.

If you made through IV just fine, good for you. Not everyone is quite the same, so I was just merely making a suggestion as to why it wouldn’t have been very wise to recommend your idea to everybody, especially to people who say they haven’t even finished a certain part. Also, it felt like Leonard could also be an “unintentionally silly” villain for some people, so in that sense, IV is still directly continuing what TSR did. (As a sequel, TSR did all the right things with little fault and it felt like the villains were always intentionally silly. The drama was still well done, not poorly, in spite of no humorous moments, but I digress.) I don’t want to drag this out anymore than it needs to and I’ll be pulling out of this thread before getting too off-topic. Hope that you’ll have a nice rest of your day.
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I was hoping to watch Wotakoi, but I am tired of Amazon not uploading episodes on time.

We are still waiting here in the US. Why is Amazon taking so long? I heard they released it in Canada so it's not waiting on the sub.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Hisone to Maso-tan had my favorite premiere of the season, and I'm pissed Netflix is withholding it/keeping it from the preview guide and wider attention. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Wotakoi seems to be available on Amazon Prime in the US.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:
But the problem with that is you need to watch The Second Raid in order the full and proper context of what’s going with Invisble Victory and why certain characters react the way they do in certain scenes. If one doesn’t like The Second Raid, telling them to just skip it and go straight to Invisible Victory is a foolish decision when IV does not skip a beat at all from continuing what TSR did.

(Just noting first that despite mixed feelings I did still enjoy TSR overall.)

Yeah I have the same complain about TSR, although I did enjoy it just not that much. It's just really hard to take the bad guys seriously when they're so cartoonish. Plus the mixture of incompetence and "genius" (i.e. the show tell your there genius) just kill any tension. Just this episode the bad guy could have easily grab Chidori, but he didn't... cause... you know... He left his oven on and wanted to check up on it right away? It's just silly it makes it hard to care about the overall plot when it all depend on if the villain will take things seriously.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Joshua: Yeah, no problem, that’s why I said “in my opinion”. Whether the drama works for someone is pretty subjective.

meiam wrote:
Just this episode the bad guy could have easily grab Chidori...

That can be explained fairly easily in this case. It’s possible that he actually hoped Kaname would come willingly given the circumstances (greater danger to herself and those surrounding her now that policies have changed), but more importantly he presumably had little reason to expect Sousuke would be there based on normal habits. A fight would risk hurting her, plus he may feel that unnecessarily killing Sousuke right in front of her would be counterproductive to his longer-term purposes. (Assuming I haven’t forgotten him trying to do exactly that in a previous episode, at least.)

It’s quite likely we’ll see people firing on the RV in the next episode, endangering Kaname, but that could be assumed to be under someone else’s command and the situation Leonard was hoping to avoid.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Joshua: Yeah, no problem, that’s why I said “in my opinion”. Whether the drama works for someone is pretty subjective.

meiam wrote:
Just this episode the bad guy could have easily grab Chidori...

That can be explained fairly easily in this case. It’s possible that he actually hoped Kaname would come willingly given the circumstances (greater danger to herself and those surrounding her now that policies have changed), but more importantly he presumably had little reason to expect Sousuke would be there based on normal habits. A fight would risk hurting her, plus he may feel that unnecessarily killing Sousuke right in front of her would be counterproductive to his longer-term purposes. (Assuming I haven’t forgotten him trying to do exactly that in a previous episode, at least.)

It’s quite likely we’ll see people firing on the RV in the next episode, endangering Kaname, but that could be assumed to be under someone else’s command and the situation Leonard was hoping to avoid.

He has a bullet proof coat and two bullet proof mech, that wouldn't even be a fight... He can easily subdue Sosuke and grab Kagame without any trouble (One mech grab Sosuke, the other grab Kagame, job done). And it's not like Sosuke is just going to leave her side, so no matter how much he think grabbing her now will cause problem, sending an army after her while bombing the city isn't going to make her more likely to join him or place her in less danger.

Now she's surrounded by armed guard while inside a car, Sosuke is obviously going to try to shake them off which could easily lead to a car crash, which situation is more likely to cause her to get hurt? Or are we suppose to simultaneously believe that he's a super genius but at the same time incapable of understand that Sosuke is going to keep trying to protect Chidori after he just threaten her?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
That’s fair. It would have to be assumed he has a “I won’t do it myself but won’t stop my colleagues from doing it” attitude. (Of course, this is also assuming things about the second episode, which could turn out to make more or less sense than expected.)

Sousuke’s been shown to be unnaturally resourceful and I think (barring pulling-grenades-from-nowhere stuff) if nothing else he and Kaname would be out the apartment door by the time the mechs got inside. Things could have become complicated.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
meiam wrote:
Now that the poll are out I don't really see an obvious chaos dragon, which makes me a bit sad we won't have a good ol hate review. Crying or Very sad

What, you don't think Magical Girl Site qualifies? I'll be quite surprised if that one doesn't get voted in.

I kinda hope it doesn't. It's not like a Chaos Dragon or a Hand Shakers or whatever, which were terrible but also kind of amusing from a trainwreck perspective, or even that latest video game in another world show whose name I can't remember right now which at least occasionally provided some interesting stuff to write about and largely was just boring. The reaction most of the previewers had to it was that the show was just downright gross to watch, and outright upsetting to the viewer.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:39 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
That’s fair. It would have to be assumed he has a “I won’t do it myself but won’t stop my colleagues from doing it” attitude. (Of course, this is also assuming things about the second episode, which could turn out to make more or less sense than expected.)

Sousuke’s been shown to be unnaturally resourceful and I think (barring pulling-grenades-from-nowhere stuff) if nothing else he and Kaname would be out the apartment door by the time the mechs got inside. Things could have become complicated.

Essentially, it always comes down to these two possibility. I have to either assume he's working under his own twisted rule, i.e. he's not taking this seriously, which makes it hard for me to take the situation seriously and means the main character success doesn't depend on there own action but rather on the willingness of the bad guys (in other word, the requirement of the writer who didn't bother crafting a scenario where everyone was acting in there own interest).

Or I have to assume he couldn't possibly think about Kaname running away and so didn't think to just send one of his mech around to block the door. So now I can't seriously believe that he's a genius because he sure doesn't behave like one.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote
Okay, last set of 1st Impressons:

Goldan Kamuy - Another keeper, although spoiler[the whole bit about skinning dead people creeped me out]. Nice to see the Ainu get some positive screen time. I didn't find the CG bear to be as annoying as others have, but then I started watching anime in the 1970s so I've seen far, far worse; everything these days looks like a step up.

Steins;Gate 0 - This was my most anticipated title of the season, and I am pleased to say I was blown away by it. Everything I liked about the original Steins;Gate was here, but yet still presented in a way that didn't feel stale or rehashed. And while Okabe's depression may seem off-putting to some, I will point out that we already know he eventually digs himself out of it, because we got a glimpse of the scientific badass he becomes at the end of the original S;G. So I for one am really looking forward to the story of how that happens. One episode in, and this series already feels like it could be the AOTY for me.

Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory - My other highly anticipated "old friends return" title (EDIT: Also along with the new LOTGH). I was especially glad to find that this series was a continuation of the original series, because after this long a time since the last one the normal thing to expect is a reboot or a remake. But no, they pickup more or less where Second Raid left off, and I am all the more happier for it. This one seems to be arranged more as a thriller than any of the previous series; our characters get dumped into an escalating life-or-death struggle almost from the start. I'm looking forward to where this series goes, because I suspect it will be a roller coaster of a ride.

Watakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku - I'm surprised there hasn't been a review for this one posted yet. I like that the main couple is pretty much established at the start, instead of dragging it out until the final episodes before they get together. Also, I note that the titles already give away who the other main couple of the series is; no long drawn-out build-ups here, the fun is going to be in watching these people date and grow attached to each other. While I wouldn't say any of the characters were all that unique to anime (we've seen variations on all of them before), I did find them to be pleasant and likable enough that I will keep up with this series.

Doreiku - Most seasons I usually end up finding one absolutely trashy anime with no redeeming values that I end up watching in full - and enjoying. This season that dubious distinction appears to belong to Doreiku. First episode sets things up and introduces the characters, and yes it appears to be every bit as problematic as the premise implies. But there's a certain energy and playfulness about it that makes me want to come back; you just know its not going to end well for any of these characters, and the interest is going to be in seeing just how badly they manage to screw things up. So for the moment I'm in on this one, may kami-sama forgive me.

You Don't Know Gunma Yet - I have to admit, I've found this short series to be hilarious so far. Gunma Prefecture appears to be the butt of many jokes in Japan, mostly in the same vein that rednecks and the South are treated in the US. Its a semi-rural area with a distinct regional cultural, and this series pokes some good-natured fun at it. The episodes are short (about 3 min each) but are well worth a quick watch in between your other, more serious fare.

Shows I want to try, but probably won't just yet due to Too Damn Much To Watch This Season syndrome: Devil's Line, Real Girl, Tada Never Falls in Love, Megalo Box, Cutie Honey Universe. I'll probably try to get back to some of these in the summer, when it looks like there will be less shows I'm interested in.

Shows I am on the verge of dropping: Dances With Dragons, Libra of Nil Admirari.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 25