• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director, Studio Ghibli Co-Founder Isao Takahata Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
This is like losing Satoshi Kon--only worse.

Takahata's strength was his ability to easily and wonderfully adapt to any source material: the celebration of the mundane (Only Yesterday, My Neighbors the Yamadas), the horror and tragedy of war (Grave of the Fireflies), the blending of the ancient and avant-garde (Tale of the Princess Kaguya)...and still give us family fare remembered for decades (Panda! Go Panda!, Hols: Prince of the Sun).

He will be missed.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Princess Kaguya was the last anime I rated as a masterpiece. Truthfully a great body of work.
Bringing back an old Gauche The Cellist avatar in tribute.

If you have the Princess Kaguya movie be sure to also also watch the documentary included to get a feel for the man and his work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Damn...

I've seen Grave of the Fireflies (excellent film), and now when I see it again at the Ghibli fest (and I'm going to see Pom Poko too and do want to see Kaguya, it's probably going to be even sadder. Crying or Very sad

RIP, Takahata. You may not be here with us anymore, but your work will always be remembered, and you will always be one of the best directors of all time.

I wonder if Miyazaki's heard of this too...
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 from Lupin Part 1 is one of my favourite episodes from the franchise and is the first one that made it worth watching for me. I just watched a bit of it yesterday too. I enjoyed grave of the fireflies and Heidi as well.

Rest in Peace.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
=(
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
Takahata's strength was his ability to easily and wonderfully adapt to any source material: the celebration of the mundane (Only Yesterday, My Neighbors the Yamadas), the horror and tragedy of war (Grave of the Fireflies), the blending of the ancient and avant-garde (Tale of the Princess Kaguya)...and still give us family fare remembered for decades (Panda! Go Panda!, Hols: Prince of the Sun).

The whole fan cult over Grave of the Fireflies, and its opening against Totoro, gave Takahata the image of the dreary "artsy" half of Ghibli, while Miyazaki was the cute-imaginative half.
I always avoided his films like leprosy because of that, but Only Yesterday was a pleasant enough slice-of-life for what it was, Pon Poko had its moments (except for fourth-wall preaching to the audience at the end), and despite a few "ambitious" moments, finally tapped into his softie side for cute moments in Kaguya. And yes, after the long wait, I was finally able to get Yamadas on Blu-ray.

Ghibli's already having enough "What Would Hayao Do?" identity problems before losing Isao, at this point, it may be a good idea to follow Mary & the Witch's Flower's lead, and restart the existing Ghibli animators under a new studio name, rather than be haunted by old ghosts' reputations.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
RIP Isao Takahata. My favorite anime movie director.

Mine as well. This is a very sad day.

RIP Takahata-sensei.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I just found out about this just now. It is indeed heartbreaking. Grave of the Fireflies is one of my favorites, and it pleases me to see that at least his output from Ghibli is available in English. Nonetheless, it is sad that Hayao Miyazaki's longtime partner is no longer with us. But his work will always live on, definitely. R.I.P., Takahata-san. You will be missed.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Pom Poko was one of my first Ghibli movies. He left an impression on me, and it won't be forgotten for quite a while. RIP, sensei.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
It's a very sad day indeed. While I don't think I've seen all of his works completely, I appreciate what work he has done and it's very sad that another creative mind is now gone. RIP.
Oggers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I was considering getting Only Yesterday now that it's out on Bluray, but with this news I'm definitely getting it now. I also finished Akage no Anne a little while ago and greatly enjoyed it, and of course I've also enjoyed all of Hayao Miyazaki's films that he produced. Isao Takahata will truly be missed.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
One of the greatest men this industry has ever known. I applaud you for your accomplishments, thank you for the special moments you've given me through your work, and wish you the best in heaven. I believe it exists for people like you, Mr Takahata.

No movie ever will likely surpass Princess Kaguya as my personal favorite.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is shocking news. I'm sad to hear it, but he lived a long life. (And hopefully one that he felt was fulfilling.)

May he rest well, and I hope his loved ones are doing well.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“Rather than paintings that declare ‘I am the real thing’, I prefer paintings that say ‘As you can see, I am not the real thing, but please use me as a means to imagine or remember in a vivid way the real thing that is behind me’. My intent was to have the viewers be there at the moment when the sketches were being drawn and to have them share in the emotions. I want to make sure that we don’t forget the great power of paintings drawn by lines on paper to stir our imaginations and memories.”

- Isao Takahata

Rest in Peace, Takahata-san. You may not have obtained the widespread renown of your partner but you were every bit his equal in talent and more than that, you were perhaps his better half. Miyazaki got his sense of social responsibility from you and without you around to aid in Studio Ghibli's early years, things probably wound have been as successful. And your own projects will live in well-earned distinguishment to be watch by future generations of anime fans. Grave of the Fireflies is among the best anti-war movies ever made even counting live action, Only Yesterday is the best non-fantastic Ghibli flim and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is a serious contender for the best anime movie period.

So good night, sweet director and may packs of tanuki sing you to your rest.

Last edited by Zeino on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
GriffithDidNothingWrong

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
Rest in peace, Takahata-san
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5