• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director, Studio Ghibli Co-Founder Isao Takahata Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
This is like losing Satoshi Kon--only worse.

Almost my exact thought. Kon and Takahata are my two favorite anime directors and this news really hit hard. I'll be watching some of his work this weekend to honor his legacy. Thank you for all that you accomplished, Takahata-sensei.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:37 am Reply with quote
RIP
You will be surely missed.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:55 am Reply with quote
As always, the world and Ghibli shall live on. But we will also always treasure the memories of those that are no longer with us. RIP, Takahata-san.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:52 am Reply with quote
Goddamn, the world has lost a brilliant man today. Crying or Very sad He will be missed and may he RIP.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:58 am Reply with quote
RIP Takahata-san
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:10 am Reply with quote
Takahata was likely the 2nd best director at Ghibli. RIP. Make sure to watch his My Neighbors the Yamadas. Almost no one did after all...
He also directed the best Anne of Green Gables adaptation till the new Canadian one came along.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:05 am Reply with quote
Gosh, this makes me so very sad, but what a legacy he's left behind! R.I.P., sensei! Crying or Very sad
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:14 am Reply with quote
If he has unfinished projects, I wonder what, if anything, we'll see of them. I think of Dreaming Machine and Masao Maruyama's bedside promise to Satoshi Kon, but neither the money nor a directorial talent on par with Kon are there to make it happen.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
I had the pleasure of seeing Takahata in person while attending a screening of Princess Kaguya at the Toronto Film Festival a few years back. Takahata was there to greet the audience prior to the showing and watched the audience reaction from the doorway throughout the film from time to time (you could tell that he poured his heart and soul into the film and very much hoped the audience enjoyed it). There was even a Q and A at the end of the show with a translator. It was a very special day and I will never forget it.

As for his other work, Grave of the Fireflies is without a doubt the most emotionally impactful anime film I have ever seen and has no equal in that respect.

RIP Takahta-san.
lukenago

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I am very sad to hear this news. Grave of Fireflies and Only Yesterday has mean so much to me, two of my favorite movies of any medium. Thank you Takahata-san, rest in peace.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Thank-you for all of your hard work, Mr. Takahata. Rest easy and never doubt the impact of your work on fans all around the world. Thank-you for leaving your films as a legacy and understand we will never forget the love and sadness, but always mindfulness, for the stories you had to tell. Rest In Peace, and enjoy your tea in the afterlife. Onegai, ganbatte, arigato gozaimasu okudasai!
Southkaio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote
So long, Takahata-sensei!
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what to say. It's so heartbreaking to me to hear of his passing away. What a huge loss to the animation community. Isao Takahata was one of my all time favorite film directors and Only Yesterday is a masterpiece I can see again every other year and still discover new things. I had the incredible chance to meet him in person in Japan during the production of My neighbours the Yamadas for a brief minute and exchanged some greetings - I was young back then and extremely nervous when meeting him. He was a very gentle man and showed some interest in the fact that I was from Switzerland. His love and interest for people in general is apparent in all his work and I wish more people knew about him because his movies are, in my opinion, at least as good as those from Miyazaki.

Thank you for all the masterpieces you gave to us. Rest in Peace, Takahata-san.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
I had the pleasure of seeing Takahata in person while attending a screening of Princess Kaguya at the Toronto Film Festival a few years back. Takahata was there to greet the audience prior to the showing and watched the audience reaction from the doorway throughout the film from time to time (you could tell that he poured his heart and soul into the film and very much hoped the audience enjoyed it). There was even a Q and A at the end of the show with a translator. It was a very special day and I will never forget it.

As for his other work, Grave of the Fireflies is without a doubt the most emotionally impactful anime film I have ever seen and has no equal in that respect.

RIP Takahta-san.

He did the same--observing the audience's reaction to his movies--when he attended an animation festival here in Italy too.
I was among the audience and, even if I didn't approach it due to shyness, I was so happy to have been able to see him in person!

Kaguya-hime no Monogatari is one of the best animated movies ever made imho, and I love all the movies/series he made. I didn't watch all of them yet but the majority, and I'll always miss him.

I also appreciated his pacifist views and seeing the Japanase constitution being changed despite his words of advice about what may lead to future wars is upsetting.
I hope the current and future generations will learn from his works and never forget what he wanted to convey through them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
I am so deeply saddened by this news. He was a true genius and I felt he never got the same attention as Miyazaki by the mainstream (I know the anime community always appreciated Takahata)

Miyazaki was wonderful at fantasy & representing the environment for me but I always felt Takahata was best at presenting humanity in his works. As others have said Grave of the Fireflies & Only Yesterday are both Masterpieces and in my top 5 Ghibli.

I am just happy we got Princess Kaguya from him because it’s one more work of his to appreciate.

May he Rest In Peace and I am so thankful for all the wonderful works of his he gave us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5