• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Ai Tenchi Muyo, Live-Action Assassination Classroom Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
Im glad they finnaly picked up the OVA. I hate when i dont have the complete set whileits out there.

However... Funimation when are you finally gonna license the Strike Witches Operation Victory OVAs??? And the Attack on Titan OVA's???
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
And the Attack on Titan OVA's???

probably never. They come with the manga, which just makes it nearly impossible to license them.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Maybe a little late to add my 2 cents, but anyway--I would've liked if they had dubbed the Assassination Classroom movies. They would've been cool to show to my family who don't care for subtitles. Even so, these are a solid adaptation of the anime--the worst anyone can say is that they are abbreviated versions of the two seasons, but they're still coherently standalone.

I am pleasantly surprised Funimation got Ai Tenchi Muyo, from the same director as the Universe series. It's not a "great" series per se, but as a devoted old-school Tenchi fan, I still got way more out of this than I ever did out of the Season 4 OVA. This may be snobbish of me, but I'd go so far as say if Funimation never got Season 4, no one is really missing anything, because (among other problems it had) it seemed even Kajishima himself stopped giving a crap about keeping his own series interesting. Definitely looking forward to adding this to my collection!
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:00 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
They usually end up treating live-action dubs like a joke and the redub voices generally match up HORRIBLY with the live-action actors. I wouldn't expect someone from Tokyo to speak in English exactly like my next-door neighbor or a guy from Deep South/Louisiana! You expect some kind of accent (that matches the visuals) if you're the least bit more than provincial. For instance, Mary and the Witch's Flower is based on an English children's story and they did the right thing casting British actors for the English dub of that film!
OTOH, when Sony dubbed the 1994 Street Fighter II anime feature into English they DIDN'T bother to cast English actors who could speak with accents that MATCHED characters of various nationalities so you literally had a Cammy (British) character speaking with a FLAT Mid-Atlantic American accent and likewise Dhalsim (Indian) speaking with an American accent, too.

It's weird already when that one White character in Assassination Classroom was played by some Korean, so why bother dubbing accurately?

As for anime, I remember many people absolutely hated Kitsune's English dub voice in Love Hina because her stereotypical Midwest accent, when it was actually quite brilliant. In the original Japanese dub, she has a Kansai accent, basically the equivalent "middle country" region of Japan. Maybe a bit over the top, but that's an issue with a lot of voice acting regardless.

pachy_boy wrote:
I am pleasantly surprised Funimation got Ai Tenchi Muyo, from the same director as the Universe series. It's not a "great" series per se, but as a devoted old-school Tenchi fan, I still got way more out of this than I ever did out of the Season 4 OVA. This may be snobbish of me, but I'd go so far as say if Funimation never got Season 4, no one is really missing anything, because (among other problems it had) it seemed even Kajishima himself stopped giving a crap about keeping his own series interesting. Definitely looking forward to adding this to my collection!

Ever since the excrement that is OVA 3 and my personal nostalgic reservations, I can say Universe is inherently the superior continuity to original. As for Ai, I adored Ryoko's character design, and snickered at the sex joke about the sword tilt spoiler[because IIRC, there's a softcore hentai animated by an AIC affiliate where the tilt has a rather suggestive cameo.]
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:10 am Reply with quote
Having recently finally bought OVA3, I feel like the hatred for it is overblown. While not as good as classic Tenchi, it was still always entertaining to me and I thought it did a good job of expanding on the world building and I always liked the finale for it. I wasn't as big into Ai Tenchi, but as a diehard Tenchi completionist, I'll still buy this if this supports OVA4 finally getting licensed and to support the English dub as Tenchi has always been one of my all time favorite anime dubs. I'm especially excited they got back Petrea Burchard as Ryoko as I was always disappointed she was replaced in the OVA3 dub. I hope Crunchyroll will stream this too. For me as a long time hardcore Tenchi fan, I just want to see as much Tenchi content licensed as possible, even if the newest stuff isn't as good as the classic shows.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:28 am Reply with quote
I thought I’d briefly follow up on a criticism I received from my previous post.
I was misleading by saying Kajishima was writer/director despite not being listed as such. I do forget that sometimes but while it might not be his name listed as director or screenwriter FOR ANY OF TENCHI'S works it is well known that he was “in charge” of OVA. Whatever his official credit is- it is HIS series I like how he’s listed for 4 as “chief director,” the same title Akiyuki Simbo often gets as the guiding force behind all of the Bakemonogatari sequels even when he is not the actual series director or writer.
GXP was his story (He's still writing GXP novels) but, no, he didn’t have as much power in the production and, yes, he was critical of how it was done. I personally think it was a good decision not to have him as director. Even if you question the quality of the show, they got what they probably couldn’t have accomplished with him at the helm- a quickly produced 26 episode series that moved at a relatively brisk pace.
Contrary to what some think, no, the OVA are not adaptations of Kajishima novels. The novels are supplementary and largely cover back story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2