• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tsukuru Magazine: Rumiko Takahashi Will Launch New Work 'Soon'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:44 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:
So easy to spot people who haven't read Maison Ikkoku, Mermaid Saga and One Pound Gospel. Maison Ikkoku is still one of the best rom coms series ever made.

And people complaining that she does the same stuff over and over even though much of her work was very original & pioneering for the time.

She’s been writing manga for how many years now? Of course her stuff is going to be a bit repetitive. It happens with all long term creators.

And yeah Maison Ikkoku is still one of the greatest romantic comedies!

Both Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2 were pretty damn enjoyable too. UY was a prototype for the harem genre which has since been copied. She's considered a legend in Japan for good reasons.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:41 am Reply with quote
That's great! IMHO, I wish her next work should be a romantic comedy/fantasy type of story. We've already seen Ranma 1/2 & Urusei Yatsura which is a harem type of comedy, Maison Ikkoku & One Pound Gospel which are purely romantic comedy and suspense/mystery stories like Mermaid Saga & Inuyasha, and we need a new genre. Or maybe a mecha action comedy story just like what I'd seen an OVA series which she's a character design on that series in which I forgot the title of it & it was shown around the late 2000s when Inuyasha anime series was on a long break at that time (maybe someone will reply to me for that answer).

Sports related? Maybe, and I don't know if she's really fond on sports but the main female character of Maison Ikkoku plays tennis. Anime smallmouth
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
So easy to spot people who haven't read Maison Ikkoku, Mermaid Saga and One Pound Gospel. Maison Ikkoku is still one of the best rom coms series ever made.

And people complaining that she does the same stuff over and over even though much of her work was very original & pioneering for the time.

She’s been writing manga for how many years now? Of course her stuff is going to be a bit repetitive. It happens with all long term creators.

That may well be, but she hasn't had an original idea since "Ranma 1/2." When she's not rehashing story ideas, she's recycling character designs. Christ, and people say Akira Toriyama can only draw three faces.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:

That may well be, but she hasn't had an original idea since "Ranma 1/2." When she's not rehashing story ideas, she's recycling character designs. Christ, and people say Akira Toriyama can only draw three faces.

Again not really sure why you are giving her a hard time about this when this is pretty much true for all long time creators. I mean look at Adachi another manga-ka I love but he writes pretty much the same story in different ways and always uses the same character designs that even he can’t tell them apart.

And this isn’t just true of manga-ka look at long time directors and you will notice they tell the same story or use the same themes across their works. This is what makes following a creators careers interesting looking for these patterns.

And no Rumiko Takahashi may not have any new mind blowingly original ideas these days but when so many manga-ka were influenced by her early ideas I hardly think that matters. And that being said no her manga are absolutely not the same even if they have similar tropes in them, many of which she popularized in the first place.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:08 am Reply with quote
Surprised at all the hate for Rinne here. The anime was a nice little comfort-food show for me, and I tuned in every week. I hope it gets a fourth season to adapt whatever's left. The producer is NHK, so it's not like they're beholden to BD sales.
lumclaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:11 am Reply with quote
A fascinating aspect of Urusei Yatsura is its "counter marketing", for lack of a better term. Almost all merchandise emphasizes Lum. Yet when you let the series sink in, one discovers it's actually making fun of exaggerated stereotypes of male fantasies.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:35 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
My theories as to what will happen in this new series:

-The main guy is a hot-headed tool.
-The main girl is incredibly short-tempered and will kick the main guy's ass for every minor misunderstanding.
-Their "romance" will consist of them hating each other until the final chapter, and years of couple's counseling, domestic abuse charges, and using their child to get back at each other after the custody battle will ensue.
-The character personalities/designs will be recycled from "Ranma 1/2."
-Kappei Yamaguchi will be in the anime adaptation.
Rumiko Takahashi is basically the Ubisoft of the Manga world. On the other hand her work does have this comforting feel to it, and there is plenty of dumb fun to be had, it's just a shame she doesn't make many short form series.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:22 am Reply with quote
lumclaw wrote:
A fascinating aspect of Urusei Yatsura is its "counter marketing", for lack of a better term. Almost all merchandise emphasizes Lum. Yet when you let the series sink in, one discovers it's actually making fun of exaggerated stereotypes of male fantasies.

I haven’t really had a chance to read Urusei but I felt this was true of Ranma too. Ranma in female form always came off to me how men thought women behaved. There was definitely interesting social commentary in Takahashi’s works that a lot of people tend to miss.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to call myself a hardcore Rumiko Takahashi fan, but I've enjoyed her series.
I hated Kagome, so Inuyasha was mostly a pass for me. Rinne gets a lot of hate, but I actually liked that she went for more subdued characters instead of her usual hot head male lead and shrill shrew female. Some called Sakura boring, because she was always unfazed, but that was what I liked about her.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:06 am Reply with quote
Rinne was trash, but I won't surprised if she makes something even worse this time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2