• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Pilot - Hisone and Masotan Anime Listed on Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
This was literally the only series I was going to force myself to have time for this season, so I was bummed to hear it would be on Netflix on Monday. Not the end of the world, obviously there is plenty else I could watch, but nothing sparked my interest as much as this did. That staff is just killer.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is definitely not the news I was hoping for with this show. I would have like to have seen it weekly as well, but since I’m already watching so many shows this season that it feels overwhelming, one show on hold is not too much to fret over. Hopefully, they can at least put out the whole show on their service right after it’s ended and not keep it hostage for months after the series is finished with a vague release window.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:09 am Reply with quote
It's a bit ironic with the (long) delayed Netflix US/western streaming releases because it'll be airing on multiple TV stations, so DVR'd by countless people, then uploaded and of course fansubbed for the broadcast. Then by the time the Netflix stream is out in the US several months later, the Japanese blurays having already started releasing and someone will retime the fansubs (or add if there's extra content) to those.

Anyways, so Netflix is the streaming licensee, but I'm curious who's the home licensee? For the recent adaptations that Netflix licensed like Fate/Apocrypha and Devilman Crybaby, it's Aniplex since they also produced those anime and released it in Japan and I'm sure like everything else in the past decade Aniplex will for the US as well. But for BONES originals, I wonder if they already picked out the highest bidder here for Hisone and Masotan
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...the series will stream on Netflix in Japan as it airs on television, but Netflix has not yet announced an international release date.

I have sometimes wondered if I should add a Netflix subscription to give them a chance and check out what stuff they have. My brother in Sweden does have it and he and his wife like it, though it's not anime they use it for.

But then I read articles like this and remember why I'm not. No good rewarding bad behaviour.

This seems interesting enough for me to check out the first episode over the coming weekend.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:45 am Reply with quote
The Panzer Dragoon franchise has become somewhat less fantastical compared to its earliest outings, I notice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:17 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I mean did everyone forget Bones has a deal with Netflix or something? Of course it's going on be there.

Netflix have a deal with Bones, Wit Studio, and Production I.G for co-producing and streaming Original net anime.

For the usual TV anime that is produced with the Japanese Production Committee system, Neflix have to bid for the rights like Crunchyroll, Funny or Sentai. They will have to go to the Production Committee system.

In the case of Dragon Pilot, is a Original anime from Bones, it was easy to get the deal because Bones is the main partner of the Production Committee.
For My Hero Academia, Netflix have to deal with Shueisha and the other Production Committee partners.

The path that Neflix seems to be taking is avoiding big Production Committees system anime (with some exceptions like Fate/Apocrypha) and going for co-produce Original net anime and some anime originals from his partner studios, that way they avoid to be under the Japanese Publishers rules and have more independence.

That's why just because is a anime made in Bones, not all will be in Netflix.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:17 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
The Panzer Dragoon franchise has become somewhat less fantastical compared to its earliest outings, I notice.
Well I'm sure that it is still better than the last time Panzer Dragoon had an Anime adaptation
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:30 am Reply with quote
MsVitchDa2nd wrote:
guess gotta go to that straw hat route and become the pirate king again

Yes, because one must watch anime the week it airs in Japan. It isn't as if it a choice.

EDIT: To clarify, this is sarcasm.

Last edited by TheAncientOne on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:10 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
MsVitchDa2nd wrote:

Yes, because one must watch anime the week it airs in Japan. It isn't as if it a choice.

Don't see the problem with that choice.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
MsVitchDa2nd wrote:

What he means is, you can wait for this series to watch it later. Given that this season has, like, 40+ shows to watch, not every show will be worth the time, and we have so little time on earth to book so many shows on an entire season. For me, is not a problem to wait for this show to be released on Netflix, because I have more anime series to watch apart from this, new or old. It´s just that the anime elitism of today puts almost every anime viewer to think they have to watch every anime show weekly as if it was an obligation and not as an option.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
MsVitchDa2nd wrote:

What he means is, you can wait for this series to watch it later. Given that this season has, like, 40+ shows to watch, not every show will be worth the time, and we have so little time on earth to book so many shows on an entire season. For me, is not a problem to wait for this show to be released on Netflix, because I have more anime series to watch apart from this, new or old. It´s just that the anime elitism of today puts almost every anime viewer to think they have to watch every anime show weekly as if it was an obligation and not as an option.

Which, again, I don't see the problem with by choosing to watch it while airing, even if its for discussion's sake or just having no good reason to wait.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:36 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

Which, again, I don't see the problem with by choosing to watch it while airing, even if its for discussion's sake or just having no good reason to wait.

The problem is that this choice is illegal and doesn't support the industry. Unless you rectify it by watching the show again when it is legally available, or go out of your way to support an official physical release of the series, then the problem is that you're screwing over this series because of your so-called interest in it.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
The problem is that this choice is illegal and doesn't support the industry. Unless you rectify it by watching the show again when it is legally available, or go out of your way to support an official physical release of the series, then the problem is that you're screwing over this series because of your so-called interest in it.

Sorry, but I still don't see any problem with that choice, at least not personally. I have to agree with Rederoin on this.

And those saying that there's so many shows you can leave one later, problem is once that 'later' comes then too will there be 'so many shows'. So I watch it now(assuming of course the first episode will do well enough to keep my interest) and start playing a guessing game which show will be Netflix's next delaycast once that 'later' arrives. Smile
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm a subscriber to Netflix and this wouldn't bother me much if they knew what the word simulcast meant.

Probably just download this series on my computer until its added to Netflix if I liked it enough to go back and watch it dubbed that is. Rolling Eyes
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

Blanchimont wrote:

Sorry, but I still don't see any problem with that choice, at least not personally. I have to agree with Rederoin on this.

I've edited my post to clarify that my statement was sarcasm, in the event that was not obvious.

It was meant to highlight that it is a choice, not something one is forced to do (as MsVitchDa2nd implied).

If you are going to pirate to satisfy your own desires, own up to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3