• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Government Officially Asks Internet Providers to Block Manga Piracy Sites

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
The reason netflix, hulu, crunchyroll and similar web streaming services have been successful is not because they include a limited amount of material (packages you called them?

While I don’t dispute the basis of your overall point, it should probably be noted that while the three services you listed have definitely managed to pick up paying subscribers, their profitiability in at least two of the cases is slim to non-existent. Netflix has extremely slim profit margins and a very high debt load to service. Hulu is burning through cash to the tune of a billion a year and is only keeping its lights on because it’s owned by several major media companies. We also have no real idea how profitable or unprofitable Crunchyroll ultimately is.

It’s probably also worth noting that the entertainment industry by and large is moving away from the model you are advocating because it is widely unprofitable for them. The Netflix and Hulu libraries have been shrinking for quite sometime, with less and less third party content. More streaming services have been launching, and most of the major media companies, including Disney, CBS, and HBO have been throwing their hats into the ring. Even with less reach overall, most of them manage to funnel more profits back to their parents than simply just selling everything to Netflix or Amazon. Not to mention, it gives the companies more leverage in negotiations and allows them to keep more control over their programming and perhaps protect the value of it a bit longer.

Now I’m not saying that all of these endeavors are going to be successful or ongoing in he long term, or that there won’t be some rebalancing in the market. NBC’s Seeso pretty much has already crashed and burned. CBS All Access has o my recently become successful, due almost entirely to Star Trek Discovery. No one really knows how Disney’s upcoming streaming efforts will do in the long term. However, there will have to be some balance between satisfying consumers and making money for content producers that we haven’t quite figured out yet. Netflix can’t keep such low profit margins indefinitely and manage to keep servicing its debt, and its likely there will come a time when Hulu’s losses will no longer be tolerated. Even Amazon has made recent moves to restructure it’s streaming offerings, even though the company currently has a digital library that dwarfs both those of Netflix and Hulu and has a massive amount of cash flow, despite also having very thing profit margins.

It’s looking increasingly likely that consumers will be facing a market with far more choices, in terms of providers, but less content available on each. Whether or not this is sustainable in the long term remains to be seen. There will undoubtedly be some consolidation, but those who think they will get EVERYTHING on a single platform for $10-15 a month are going to be sorely disappointed.

I imagine manga is facing a very similar situation. Reaching millions of eyeballs on Amazon or another platform is great for getting eyeballs to actually look at your content, but it’s not great to actually paying your bills and stockholders. I imagine a lot of executives are looking at what has happened to the record labels and trying to make sure it doesn’t happen to them.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
#Verso.Sciolto wrote:
How much does it cost to create and publish each Itan issue?

I do not claim have inside information, but no matter how I look at it I do not think producing a weekly manga magazine has a higher cost than producing a weekly 24 minutes anime episode.

@dragonrider_cody.

First and foremost look at the cable prices vs inflation graph and let it slowly sink:

https://www.extremetech.com/internet/240942-comcast-cable-costs-jump-48-per-year-thanks-increased-fees

The reason Netflix for years has been spending every penny they have on new content and their external content has been shrinking is because they know all big video content producers in hollywood want to get the genie back into the bottle. For decades they have been increasingly milking cable tv viewers. Then cable cutting became a thing thanks to netflix and now they want to (gradually) replicate their old business model with their own web streaming services.

Unless you have some links, I do not see how "most of them manage to funnel more profits back to their parents than simply just selling everything to Netflix or Amazon". AFAIK the only one that has carved a profitable niche is HBO NOW and Game of Thrones is not going to continue indefinitely.

If Hulu is unprofitable they have no one to blame but themselves (hollywood producers) since they are milking it unrealistically.

Quote:
It’s looking increasingly likely that consumers will be facing a market with far more choices, in terms of providers, but less content available on each. Whether or not this is sustainable in the long term remains to be seen.

I do not see people going back to paying lots of money for channels(aka video content) they do not want to see. Having lots of streamers with exclusive content seems to me as viable as having 10 different video rental chain stores with their own exclusive catalog and each having a few of the must see movies; after throwing a tantrum hollywood will accept at having streamers with about the same content (i.e. like DirecTV and Dish are at the moment).

In summary, there is a ton of money for video (and manga if their ever get their act together) on the web to profit from, but that does not mean that people has not realized they were gewtting lots of garbage at premium prices, just like the music industry used to sell LP, cassettes and CDs filled with one good song and lots and lots average and not good at all tracks.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
When was the last time you read YanMaga Third from cover to cover?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
#Verso.Sciolto wrote:
When was the last time you read YanMaga Third from cover to cover?

If I asked "When was the last time you visited the 筋肉娘 tag at pixiv?", both questions would have the same answer.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
When was the last time you read YanMaga Third from cover to cover, SHD?

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-04-18/mangamura-pirate-manga-site-becomes-inaccessible/.130535
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
#Verso.Sciolto wrote:
SHD wrote:
When was the last time you read YanMaga Third from cover to cover, SHD?

When was the last time you just stated your point like people normally do in a discussion, instead of trying to ask "pointed" questions like some condescending investigator, #Verso.Sciolto?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4