• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GeGeGe no Kitarō

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:59 am Reply with quote
In regards to episode 40, wow... Ratman was in the moral right this episode
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This week gives us a level of scariness from Kitaro we haven't really seen since episode seven (“Ghost Train”)

Anecdote : Both these episodes are among the ones that are repeated in almost every Kitaro animes ( beside Kitaro 1971 for Sara-Kozō ) and also appear in the manga.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote
It kept weirding me out that Sara-Kozo looked like an evil version of Kitaro. :/

Side note: wasn't his head bowl on backwards? How is it supposed to hold any water if the dome faces up?
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
ISide note: wasn't his head bowl on backwards? How is it supposed to hold any water if the dome faces up?

Perhaps that's the reason he's so cranky?

It didn't surprise me much that Rat Man could see through they guy so easily since this is basically how he makes his money (or tries to, at least...).
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:51 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Side note: wasn't his head bowl on backwards? How is it supposed to hold any water if the dome faces up?

I can't fully confirm this, but I think he's a sub-species of kappa - he's also hairy, which isn't the kappa norm. "Sara-kozo" wasn't in any yokai encyclopedia I have access to, but the commercial break card called him something different. Once I get a minute, I'm hoping to get that name and do some more research.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
I was already super-excited about episode 41, since I've always loved the bakezōri (and tsukumogami in general), but holy heaving hemlock, I did not expect to cry that hard today. This show gets me right in the weak spot (stories that explore the connection between past and present in a way that humanizes the past without dismissing the present) about once every ten episodes or so, but this one was a real doozy.

(Yup. Looking back, episode 6—a mother-son connection—20—a societal connection to a past conflict—23—grandparents and granddaughter, plus a perfectly-deployed old song—and this, 41, are the ones that got me. Four glorious cries in forty generally great episodes. I hope this show goes on forever.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:24 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this episode isn't gonna make me more of a hoarder than I already am, nope, not at all... >.>,
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:06 am Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
I've always loved the bakezōri (and tsukumogami in general)

Did you watch Tsukumogami Kashimasu? It's set in the late Edo period and focuses on a pair of siblings who run a store that rents out nice objects for people to use in events. (The fear of fires in this period meant a lot of people, even wealthier ones, didn't own many possessions.) Five of the objects are tsukumogami. A pleasant little story that sounds right up your alley if you haven't seen it yet.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:23 am Reply with quote
I never expected an old straw sandal would make me cry...

It's not often a (kids) show manages to cover such a broad variety of moods so well, but Kitaro switches from dark to silly to heartfelt with almost every episode and rarely disappoints.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:14 pm Reply with quote
So Mana now has now been imprinted by Nanashi 3 times on her forehead, neck and leg. Am I missing any others?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:14 am Reply with quote
Even some of the youkai in the peanut gallery recognized that the youkai Kitaro has dispatched were bad youkai.

I'm really curious about Rat Man's parents. But maybe that's something better left alone...
tootbrush

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:02 am Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
So Mana now has now been imprinted by Nanashi 3 times on her forehead, neck and leg. Am I missing any others?

木 (wood) on her palm in episode 12, 火 (fire) on her forehead in episode 25, 土 (earth) on her leg in episode 37 and 金 (metal) on her neck in this episode. Should be one more to go.

I expected Nanashi to put 金 on her other leg though, not her neck. Weird.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
木 (wood) on her palm in episode 12, 火 (fire) on her forehead in episode 25, 土 (earth) on her leg in episode 37 and 金 (metal) on her neck in this episode. Should be one more to go.

Now we only have to wait for no name to put the water (水) kanji and voila, we will learn that there was never a human girl by the name of Mana in the first place (anyone else saw Angel's Heart with Robert Deniro?).

Also, I am surprised there was no social commentary about how the trial was acknowledged in universe as legal just in name (just like the witch trial's in Salem were). Nowadays we have such trials in social media, where everybody in the peanut gallery has a say on who should be punished for said perceived crimes, due process be damned, no one even needs to buy torches to "hang" someone on public media, no doubt we are drenched nowadays in that purple miasma even though we can't see it.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:59 am Reply with quote
After episode 43, I'm predicting (although I'm prepared to be proven completely wrong) that Mikoto, who is a revenge-driven human in a show where revenge is always wrong, who hates Kitaro, and who is Mana's friend, will be the Fury of the final act, proving instrumental either in getting that final sigil on Mana's body or in an outpouring of human hatred directed at Kitaro and feeding Nanashi. (I knew she'd wind up being a tragic villain the moment she revealed her abortive plan, which is in a classically sympathetic-evil format.)

Also, yuna49, thanks for the recommendation! I've actually had Tsukumogami Kashimasu on my list since, well, since it first existed, but it hasn't yet crawled up from the depths of my watchlist...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
^ I think you're probably right - I hadn't even thought about the Nanashi angle - but I came here to say that I really hoped they wouldn't turn her into a vengeance demon or something. Partly because it seems so cliche. Mostly, I just wanted her to deal with it in her own way off screen, however that came about.

I also think she actually was contemplating her own suicide, as an alternative to her assisted suicide plan. She did take a few steps toward the oncoming train after all. Could've just been part of the misdirection though.

Poor Kitaro. Humans are a mess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 20