• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GeGeGe no Kitarō

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
So Mana now has now been imprinted by Nanashi 3 times on her forehead, neck and leg. Am I missing any others?

木 (wood) on her palm in episode 12, 火 (fire) on her forehead in episode 25, 土 (earth) on her leg in episode 37 and 金 (metal) on her neck in this episode. Should be one more to go.

Yup. Here they are:

Even missing one of the elements she still destroyed that doll youkai in impressive fashion. Can't say I'm not worried that these new-found powers could lead to difficult times ahead. What does Nanashi plan to do with her when he gets her entirely powered up?

I'm not too worried about her being turned in a youkai. We saw at the end of the Backbeard saga that it's possible to return to being human.
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:21 am Reply with quote
Well...yeah...so...I’m in shock at the moment following the new episode. Just...damn.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:14 am Reply with quote
I, too, am at a loss for words about this episode, and that doesn't happen all that often.

Hope we get some magical revivification.
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I, too, am at a loss for words about this episode, and that doesn't happen all that often.

Hope we get some magical revivification.

It is possible. Since
spoiler[her soul wasn’t destroyed so she can come back...but how long? It’s possible Mana might never get to see Nekomusume in her lifetime...which would be really sad considering how close they were. If I had a guess, after Nanashi is beaten, they can use his app to broadcast positive images of yokai, including Nekomusume, so they can speed up the revival of any slain Yokai by increasing belief in them ]

But the big thing is how Kitaro is going to take it. He likes Mana but when he finds out what happens even he will likely lose his cool and do something that will make Mana give up and let Nanashi move his plan forward.

As for the episode, I would have liked if they could have worked the app into earlier episodes as a background element but I do like that they finally had people interacting with Yokai en masse . Seems like the theme was how quick social media can turn, at first rapidly building up Yokai interaction as a positive then having the mood shift rapidly (it’s clear Nanashi was manipulating things a little but probably just enough to get them to directly attack Ubume as opposed to just stocking anti-yokai sentiment).

Definitely was not expecting things to as far as they did.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
This show can be brutal at times but in episode 47 I did not expect spoiler[Nanashi to trick someone into killing Catgirl. I haven't read the manga but the anime has made it clear that destroying the soul orb means that a Yokai is truly dead so it certainly looks that way. Is that why the next story arc is about the four generals of the underworld?]

Cab329 wrote:
It is possible. Since
spoiler[her soul wasn’t destroyed so she can come back...but how long? It’s possible Mana might never get to see Nekomusume in her lifetime...which would be really sad considering how close they were. If I had a guess, after Nanashi is beaten, they can use his app to broadcast positive images of yokai, including Nekomusume, so they can speed up the revival of any slain Yokai by increasing belief in them ]
spoiler[It looks like Catgirl's soul orb was destroyed which is why it vanished after getting hit by that beam. This is similar to what happened with the western Yokai that would destroy soul orbs during fights and why Kitaro would hold funerals for the dead Yokai after it happened.]
himala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:13 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The show is well animated and they have done a good job of modernizing it. That the other characters explain things to Mana helps with the obscure yokai information though the show does expect viewers to have basic knowledge about yokai. I like the character design for Catchick though it is amusing that Crunchyroll used the old manga translation for her name.

I was happy and felt nostalgic when this series came out again. I didn't realize this was still on-going though, stopped watching it after the tanuki invasion. Guess I'll put this series on my watch-list again.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:21 am Reply with quote
My favorite episode of any show released in 2018 is episode 20 of GeGeGe no Kitarou, the one set in Papua New Guinea. This most recent episode is giving that one a run for its money. It has the most dramatic story to date. It's also beautifully illustrated in places; the lighting in the conversation between Mana and Neko-musume is gorgeous.

The writers were quite clever in this episode. First, we're lead to believe it's about the Ubume, but when that story is resolved in the first ten minutes, it's clear there's something else at play. There's also another installment of the recurring theme of the dangers of social media and the "herd" tendency of humans to get swept up by what they see there. We also got a little dig at faceless corporations with the president of Inuyama-san's company depicted as a computer icon with a disembodied voice. They included lots of "messages" in this episode that are only tangentially connected to the dramatic events it portrays.

I found episode 20 so stunning because it directly confronted the Japanese government and its educational system over their tendency to whitewash World War II. Anime hardly ever goes near real political controversies putting that story in a class by itself. Episode 47 doesn't have quite the same type of political goal, but it does convey the notion that "question authority" is a good practice to adopt. Apparently the writers think that Japan doesn't have enough of that today.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Terry Pratchett's observation that a lie can be halfway around the world before the truth has its pants on becomes even more true.

To be pedantic, because I know these things interest you, that quote goes back way farther than Pratchett, like about 300 years, in various forms. Also his version was, "Apparently, they say, a lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on." But there are versions with pants. Smile If I had to assign an author, I'd go with Swift, who seems to have the earliest of the modern versions even if the concept isn't original with him either.

I don't really believe they'd kill off Catgirl permanently. I'm placing hope in Agnes, since she stands outside the normal youkai world's rules. But it's a pretty nasty situation however it turns out.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:05 pm Reply with quote
OK, so a social platform that competes with LINE and also displays videos like youtube and has been used to spread fake news, if I have ever seen a jab at Facebook (which owns whatsapp) this is one.

As for cat girl, no doubt she is dead and her soul in hell and Kitaro will go there (in the next arc) to get her soul back and five bucks that her new body will be bigger and better (look at the evolution of cat girl character design over the years Wink

As for Mana, there is no mention about her in the next story arc nor she is in the visual, so, this is gegege no Kitaro, plot armor might not apply to other characters which has happened (in my personal experience) in anime since Adventure Boy Shadar (1967) where Rocko, the main character sidekick was killed by the main villian.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:59 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

To be pedantic, because I know these things interest you, that quote goes back way farther than Pratchett

Very Happy Why yes, I do like that sort of thing!

I actually thought about using Swift, but since I'd already mentioned Astrid Lindgren (I think the book in question was Katy in Paris, but I'm not sure), I decided to go with Pratchett, i.e. a more modern author. Plus I just finished teaching Hogfather, so he was on my mind. Smile I didn't know all of the sources of the saying, though - wow!
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
No one seems to have commented, seems to me Nanashi's original plan was to make Mana kill her own mother, making her "fall into depravity" (anyone else here saw Magi?), inverting the polarity in Mana so to speak and then placing the last sign in her (he probably will try again next episode with some other scheme); but something is not adding up. We know that for some time Nanashi has been using Mana as a vessel to store all the negative energy he has been harvesting, but we we have clearly seen that when Mana manifests said power, it is not a dark purple color like when Nanashi harvested, but a bright golden aura.

This is where things get Bizarre! Because golden is not only a clear indicator of positive energy, it is also the color of the Hamon technique that the first Jojo's wield. Also, Nanashi does not have the profile of any known Youkai, he is more like a ghost or spectre but those are supposed to be anchored to the place where they died or their burial places. Nanashi behavior is more akin to that of an autonomous Stand! As an added bonus, Nanashi on the first episode tried to kill Kitaro with an arrow but never tried again (and Kitaro has never said "you can't use the same technique on me twice" like other shounen main characters), does that mean said arrow was somewhat unique and could kill most living beings with one hit (like the Arrows in Jojo)?

BTW, just to clarify my comment about Nekomusume going to hell, I said that not out of dislike, but because she is 1/2 human (so unlike other youkai, can go to the afterlife) and because in japanese culture you can't apply the usual "she did nothing wrong to go to hell", remember over there kids that die are said to go to hell because of all the suffering their untimely deaths gave their parents and I do not think any monk (budhist or shinto) would think of a 1/2 youkai as nothing but an abomination.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
himala wrote:
I was happy and felt nostalgic when this series came out again. I didn't realize this was still on-going though, stopped watching it after the tanuki invasion. Guess I'll put this series on my watch-list again.
GeGeGe no Kitaro is a hidden gem with a lot of thought put into the story and some of the episodes are so harshly realistic that it is easy to forget that it is a kids show that airs on Sunday morning. The show has a niche following outside of Japan due to the amount of Yokai mythology but at least the show is popular in Japan. Since the story is mostly episodic you can skip episodes of it and the main story with Nanashi can be understood with episodes 1, 2, 3, 19, 25, 42, 46, and 47. If you have the time I would also recommend episodes 15, 18, 20, 30, and 39.

mangamuscle wrote:
As for Mana, there is no mention about her in the next story arc nor she is in the visual, so, this is gegege no Kitaro, plot armor might not apply to other characters which has happened (in my personal experience) in anime since Adventure Boy Shadar (1967) where Rocko, the main character sidekick was killed by the main villian.
Considering that Mana is the main human character of the show I would be surprised if she dies though the writers definitely want to make the audience consider that possibility. As for the small amount of information for the next story arc that might have more to do with generating hype and so far the only specific information they have released is that it will be about the four generals of the underworld.

mangamuscle wrote:
No one seems to have commented, seems to me Nanashi's original plan was to make Mana kill her own mother, making her "fall into depravity" (anyone else here saw Magi?), inverting the polarity in Mana so to speak and then placing the last sign in her (he probably will try again next episode with some other scheme); but something is not adding up. We know that for some time Nanashi has been using Mana as a vessel to store all the negative energy he has been harvesting, but we we have clearly seen that when Mana manifests said power, it is not a dark purple color like when Nanashi harvested, but a bright golden aura.
I think Nanashi setup that situation so that Mana would destroy one of her Yokai friends and her power seems to be specifically made to destroy Yokai. It is unclear why Nanashi has a personal grudge against Kitaro but Daddy Eyeball mentioned that the symbol on the arrow he used in episode 1 was related to the underworld.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Just when i thought that Nanashi couldn't possibly get any more creepy, he turns into spoiler[godzilla baby]...

At this point, my only hope is that defeating Nanashi will somehow reset the world because otherwise things are looking pretty bleak with spoiler[Neko Musume (and Daddy Eyeball?) being gone for good and the relationship between youkai and humans seemingly pretty much beyond repair...]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Are we sure Daddy Eyeball is dead? He's proved awfully resilient in the past to being squashed and boiled and stuff. If he is, then I'd imagine he allowed himself to die so that he could go to the Underworld and find Catgirl and attack on that front.

Was Mana's mother ever crashing at all? I was under the impression that the whole crisis was fabricated and that the opposite of what Mana was hearing was occurring in reality.

So after Kitaro talks down all the youkai from immediately attacking humans, they all just disappear, including the tofu boy. If he could do that, why didn't he just disappear when the humans were threatening him before? For that matter, if they can do that, how are humans any threat to them at all, except ones with supernatural powers like Mana?
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I think Mana's mother's death was fabricated by Nanashi as you see the doctors looking calm and happy and then Mana's mother with her eyes open and smiling. So that's Nanashi upping the tension for his own purpose.

Yeah. Considering given the timeslot this is basically a kids' show, that doesn't stop it getting intense. Which is one of the great things about it, really.

Given it's been renewed for another year, I wonder where it's going to go from here. It's been a damn good tribute to the late Shigeru Mizuki, that's for sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 20