• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GeGeGe no Kitarō

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:55 am Reply with quote
I was surprised that they actually killed the reporter and not just put her in the hospital like kids' shows usually do. Maybe it was a balancing act between showing everyone else being fine after being electrocuted, and warning that electrical outlets will kill you, so stay away from them.

Funny, while listening to Rat Man, I kept thinking, he kinda sounds like Lupin. So I looked up his seiyuu, and it's not Kanichi Kurita, but Toshio Furukawa, who played...Lupin in Lupin III: The Fuma Conspiracy. And yes, he does look like a Seuss character.
GhostOfShowsPast

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I have to disagree with the reviewer I hope we see no more Mana she is easily the worst part of the series and the last few episodes have been so much better because she isn't in them.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it actually looks like a creature that's part calico cat and part pug.

Huh, I thought she was just emulating a Scottish Fold. Smile

Yep, that was a heartbreaker, but I kept hoping to the end that Kitaro would take Shiro back to the youkai world with him. I suppose if she needs human energy to survive, that wouldn't help for long, but if it's just a matter of keeping her from clinging to one person, then maybe she could join the team and go out for brief supervised visits in more populated areas or something. It was too sad to just let her go off forever alone.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:40 am Reply with quote
Am i the only one who interpreted that scene where the wind was blowing and Kitaro looked up wistfully as Shiro having died? She (was it confirmed that she's female, btw?) seemed to be rather badly wounded after all and would probably have a hard time healing without human contact.

But even if i'm wrong, sad story sure was sad... Crying or Very sad
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:14 am Reply with quote
So was the son simply there so that they could explain why Kitaro was brought into the picture? Based on how he was introduced, I was expecting the episode to be going into the idea of the younger generation moving towards the city or something along those lines but they kind of just dropped part way. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in the review
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:31 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
it actually looks like a creature that's part calico cat and part pug.

Huh, I thought she was just emulating a Scottish Fold. Smile

That was my first thought, but the tail threw me. Smile Then I started getting way too specific (Scottish Fold crossed with a Japanese Bobtail! But rounder body like a Ragdoll!) so I decided I was deliberately distracting myself from the sadder parts and cut it all out. Laughing

Merida wrote:
Am i the only one who interpreted that scene where the wind was blowing and Kitaro looked up wistfully as Shiro having died?

I...I didn't even think of that. Now it's worse! Sad

aaa1e2r3 wrote:
So was the son simply there so that they could explain why Kitaro was brought into the picture? Based on how he was introduced, I was expecting the episode to be going into the idea of the younger generation moving towards the city or something along those lines but they kind of just dropped part way.

Well, I didn't get the impression that he was planning to move back home, so it could still be interpreted that way. But rather than using it as an overt thematic element of the episode, it was taken as the new normal for families - he loved his mom enough to save her from the yokai (and he's still rooted enough in his family's country traditions to believe in them), but he's not willing to give up his life in the city, disappointing as it is, to move back with her. The very lack of emphasis on it serves to underline the sadness of separating Masae and Shiro, because now neither of them has anyone, and that's what I thought Kitaro was sad about at the end.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:07 am Reply with quote
Episode #7 was storyboarded and directed by Chioka Kimitoshi, the series director of the 2008 series Hakaba Kitarou. This episode was also surprisingly unrestricted in not only it's message but it's depiction of its message. I'm glad Chioka was allowed to create something with such lax restraints after how he was screwed over so terribly on Dragon Ball Super.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 was also a remake of Gegege no Kitarou 1968, 1985, 1996 and 2007 episode "Ghost Train" (ゆうれい電車, Yūrei densha) ,

Episode 7 - Ghost Train (aired February 14, 1968)
Episode 6 - Hell Journey! The Ghost Train!! (aired November 16, 1985)
Episode 53 - Cemetery journey: Ghost Train! (aired January 19, 1997)
Episode 9 - The Ghost Train Goes to the Other World (aired May 27, 2007)

So far it's was the first Kitaro story that was also adapted in all the others Kitaro anime ( except Hakaba Kitaro ) we might also see "The Phantom Train" (まぼろしの汽車, Maboroshi no Kisha, another train story which was adapted in all previous Kitaro.

Last edited by Yune Amagiri on Tue May 15, 2018 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
Episode 7 was also a remake of Gegege no Kitarou 1968, 1985, 1996 and 2007 episode Ghost Train (ゆうれい電車, Yūrei densha) ,

Episode 7 - Ghost Train (aired February 14, 1968)
Episode 6 - Hell Journey! The Ghost Train!! (aired November 16, 1985)
Episode 53 - Cemetery journey: Ghost Train! (aired January 19, 1997)
Episode 9 - The Ghost Train Goes to the Other World (aired May 27, 2007)

So far it's was the first Kitaro story that was also adapted in all the others Kitaro anime ( except Hakaba Kitaro ) we might also see The Phantom Train (まぼろしの汽車, Maboroshi no Kisha, another train sotry which was adapted in all previous Kitaro.

So I guess this episode is a tradition of the franchise?
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
So I guess this episode is a tradition of the franchise?

Yes, i don't remember well but there was at least 5-6 of them which were adapted in every serie, actually most episode so far in this 2018 Kitaro were remake
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the story follows a vicious bully of a businessman who, we slowly find out, has driven many of his workers to commit suicide.

Man, that's an understatement. He said he had 30 employees, but it looked like every last one of them committed suicide! Shocked You'd think someone would investigate after the first dozen...

Excellent story though. Worth retelling every decade or so. Smile
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting series I must say like The Laughing Salesman GeGeGe no Kitarō looks like it could have been made by Tim Burton himself. Very Happy Anyway I do hope that Crunchyroll would add the 1968, 1985, 1996, and 2007 versions of this wonderful anime series.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:56 am Reply with quote
Possibly as interesting that the story of Ep7 is retold over generations is that it needs to be retold. I would hope for a time when it wouldn't and people say "who would ever do such a thing?" And having caught up from Ep6, holy cow did I cry! I also thought the wind was Shiro's passing from existence but I sure hope it wasn't... Crying or Very sad
Thaumana

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I love this show so far which has so many diverse episodes regarding the narration and mood so far. I never expected that this series could offer a episode like #6 which tear my heart out. Now it presents a Jigoku-Shouko-like episode. It never gets boring. Don't know why so many people dislike Mana, since she did nothing annoying so far... It's far more reasonable when someone says that the rat dude's only purpose is causing trouble without any regret what makes him way more annoying.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
The shoe thing simply underscores Kitarō and Neko Musume's otherworldliness—they're observers rather than participants in our reality, so they're not bound by human rules of behavior. There's never been a time in Japan when it was OK to wear shoes past the genkan!

I very much enjoyed episode 8 for its use of sound. Being huge, nearly indestructible, and invisible until it catches you, the gasha-dokuro is quite the overpowered opponent for Mana and Kitarō... but traditionally, there is one way to be aware of its approach: a strange ringing in one's ears. The clacking skeleton noises Mana hears on her walk home and in her house (where we also get loud thuds as if the gasha-dokuro is knocking bits of the house away) should be enough to tip a yōkai fan off about the identity of the episode's real villain—mirrors don't make any noise, after all. (Not to mention that Mana's schoolmates are attacked without a mirror around.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20