• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GeGeGe no Kitarō

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Nekomusume is really back, hooray!! I'm honestly surprised it happened this soon, but I'm certainly not complaining. More importantly, I'm pleased to see a full explanation as to how/why Kitaro was able to get her back. It made a lot more sense for there to be a "cost" for resurrecting someone, and it was a great way of tying into the new arc and making the stakes personal for Kitaro. Undoubtedly Neko will learn the truth eventually, but I'm certainly looking forward to the ride!
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:40 pm Reply with quote
So the more yokai power Neko-musume absorbs, the bigger and stronger she gets GUHEHE *^ _ ^* I do wish she ends (temporarily) absorbing one of the four general souls, yeah, wishful thinking I know, shonen shows have the tendendy of not giving powerups to their female leads *coff*#18*coff* or leaving them dead last in the powerhouses list *coff*Diane the serpent*coff*

IMO this arc has a moral dilemma, albeit it is not set in stone since we are talking about fiction (not scientifical facts). Monsters (i.e. Yokai) have been known to absorb souls (or life force) and as seen on this chapter, they can release them at will. But afaik (Naruto comes to mind), human beings, no matter how extraordinay they are, die when their bodies are extracted from said soul, even if it was an extra and they still have one inside their bodies. So that means that at some moment even if Rei releases the souls he has inside his body, he will die and that might be the most benevolent route since no doubt Enma would not mind trapping him in hell for all eternity even if he does not absord any other "hell general". This would mean there is no win-win situation for Kitaro, just like what happened when he had to kill the scientist that had sort of became a yokai.

Also, Enma daio said that the four generals did not escape on their own, no doubt there is another entity at work here that probably is planing even longer term than Nanashi, which makes sense. It made me smile when the Sand Witch felt nostalgic about hearing about the Nue since it was a thousand years ago, we humans can get nostalgic about things that happened less than a century ago. I would not be surprised if the arrow Nanashi used was given by said entity. The only question is whether we are talking of Kitaro's arch-nemesis or there will be another new villian, they will keep us guessing until the season ends, no doubt.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Cat Girl is back to her old self, her chibi version was more annoying than adorable overall...also happy that we got a better explanation on how Kitaro brought her back, she will probably die again if she ever finds out how far he was willing to go for her. Cat Girl/Mana reunion was adorable as f*ck.

Thanks a lot for the reviews, Rebecca! They were always a pleasure to read and i'm definitely going to miss them. But well, at least there something to look forward to after the season ends. Smile
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reviews Rebecca, you always bring additional depth to what, at first blush, seems to be a children's show (not that children's shows necessarily lack depth).
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Can we please continue this thread even if no more reviews are being written?

The start of the second season pulled no punches right from the get-go with the scene between Rei and his imouto. Kids and burning buildings seems to be a recurring theme in the shows I've been watching lately like spoiler[Dororo and Promised Neverland].
Cab329

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for all your great recaps and reviews Rebecca, I’m sad to see them end but I’m glad you got to at least go all the way through the Nanashi arc with your coverage.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I'll certainly keep checking this thread... and maybe we could rush the poll at the beginning of next season to see if we can get Kitarō back? Wink
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Dang! I voted for this too. Anyway, I'll try to get caught up and thanks to you Ms. Silverrnan for doing such a great job reviewing this week after week. I think this is the neatest show and has been consistently enlightening and entertaining.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:24 am Reply with quote
Too bad the voting method to select reviews doesn't allow for strength of preference. If we could have rank-ordered choices in the voting, perhaps Kitaro would have done better. I would have given it a one and not voted for anything else. The responses here suggest a smaller but more intense audience for Kitaro.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 am Reply with quote
My thanks as well, Ms. Silverman, for covering this show; your initial review of the first three episodes was largely responsible for me picking up the show at all, and it's been a delight the whole way.

I'm inclined to agree that Mana will play a vital role down the line - if nothing else, she's still featured in the opening and treated as a main character, so I can't see her being absent for long. In all seriousness, though, I'm sure Nekomusume(ok, no, I'm sticking with Catgirl, it's easier to type) will learn the truth eventually; but since she's tied to the deal as well as Kitaro, a third party intervention will likely be necessary if things go south.
Come to think of it, what happened to Mana's exorcism powers? Did those vanish with Nanashi, or is it possible she could still wield them? It's a terrible power, for sure, but maybe it could actually prove useful in some way (wouldn't that be a turn of events!).
GhostOfSide3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
I've got some catching up to do on this show but I've definitely loved everything I've seen from it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
Come to think of it, what happened to Mana's exorcism powers? Did those vanish with Nanashi, or is it possible she could still wield them? It's a terrible power, for sure, but maybe it could actually prove useful in some way (wouldn't that be a turn of events!).

I asked this same question myself in another forum. I don't believe anyone knows the answer yet. I don't think her powers have gone away myself and will, as you say, prove useful at some point in this season.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Gurren Rodan wrote:

I asked this same question myself in another forum. I don't believe anyone knows the answer yet. I don't think her powers have gone away myself and will, as you say, prove useful at some point in this season.

No doubt either Mana atm is depowered or can only muster a fraction the power we saw, otherwise they would have to change the title of the series to One Blast Girl and her name to Mary Sue, because she would too be broken for any challenge to still be interesting. The other alternative is power inflation, where all new enemies are so powerful that Mana's full blast only tickles them, but I hope TOEI does not thread that path, they already have DragonBall.

One thing that Rebecca mentioned is
Quote:
but I do hope to write the whole cour up when it ends this summer.
I have not read elsewhere that Kitaro will end next summer, anybody has some insight?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:48 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

One thing that Rebecca mentioned is
Quote:
but I do hope to write the whole cour up when it ends this summer.
I have not read elsewhere that Kitaro will end next summer, anybody has some insight?

Oh, I just meant this set of episodes. I don't think there are any firm dates on a full series end.

Thanks so much, everyone, for your kind words and shared disappointment that these episode reviews are done. I've really enjoyed writing them and reading your thoughts! At least I still get to do the latter - let's definitely keep this thread going.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:12 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
No doubt either Mana atm is depowered or can only muster a fraction the power we saw, otherwise they would have to change the title of the series to One Blast Girl and her name to Mary Sue, because she would too be broken for any challenge to still be interesting.

For most of the series, Kitarou himself was way overpowered. There were few enemies he could not destroy, usually with his finger guns. From episode 51, it appears that the "generals" will be much more powerful. Even with Neko-musume by his side Kitarou could not defeat the Nue. So while Mana had enough power to blow away the doll yokai and Neko, she may not be so capable against this round of opponents.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 20