• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GeGeGe no Kitarō

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote
So if she were a nopperabo she couldn't wear dead faces? Even if that's the case, she'd probably be happier living in Kitarou's world than how she felt in hers.
Thaumana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I am impressed at the show both for the wide range of subjects it covers and that it is willing to go with something other than the standard messages that are expected from a kids show. Episode 15 was a good example of a story going with a debatable decision. That beauty is what is on the inside is an important message but when a handsome actor is telling Kirara that she should be happy because he loves her there was something a bit off about it. He didn't really know anything about Kirara or what she was going through so it was an easy thing for him to say. That she went to the yokai again despite everyone telling her not to do it might be an irresponsible ending but it was understandable given everything that was shown in the episode.

Love the twist at the end and unlike the general opinion of this week's review in my view it was an exemplary outcome that underlined the diverse narration structure and darker tending tone of the series quite well. Each episode felt different. I am really enjoying all the subjects and how this show handling its less stereotyped content so far. Never gets boring.
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I like how the last two episodes have had yokai at the point where people are cool hanging with them (Wally Wall getting drawn on is the cutest thing ever) shows that all the yokai activity is having an impact.

As for the episode, dang was that tearjerker. The bit where Sand Witch is trying to get him to realize the truth was great but so sad and I agree, it seems the entire episode was just an elaborate suicide attempt for him. Dang.

Next week is a nekomusume episode, so I'm really looking forward to it Very Happy
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:39 am Reply with quote
These two last episodes have done a good job advertising the town without being too much on the nose.

I thought Sand Witch would be actually the princess and we'd get some backstory but I guess Kani Bozu being in denial made more sense. Also, I don't know how they get away with Cotton Roll being used as underwear on-screen Shocked
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:44 am Reply with quote
Man, I feel bad for Mana's uncle. He'd probably never had a supernatural experience in his life, and now he's been on the receiving end of two yokai attacks in as many weeks.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
He seems to be taking it like a champ, though.
"I don't understand this, but let's do it!!"
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Was it implied that the little girl Kawauso helped in the flashback grew up to become the old woman he saved, or did I pull this plot point out of nowhere?
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Was it implied that the little girl Kawauso helped in the flashback grew up to become the old woman he saved, or did I pull this plot point out of nowhere?

Considering how far in the past that flashback was, based on the clothes, I'm pretty sure they're two different people
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
That was a nice, cute episode. Though, shame on you Mana! Nekomusume only more awesome since she's getting her hands dirty raising produce.

I did find Mana's ignorance amusing but believeable. I grew up in the country and I remember when I went to college and finding out some people really didn't know things that were common knowledge (lots of "don't gourds grow on trees?")

Looks like next week will bring back the overarching plot.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:00 am Reply with quote
Cab329 wrote:

I did find Mana's ignorance amusing but believeable. I grew up in the country and I remember when I went to college and finding out some people really didn't know things that were common knowledge (lots of "don't gourds grow on trees?")

Same. Things almost got bad when a group of city-originating friends and I were walking across campus in broad daylight and this raccoon lurched out in front of us. My friends were all saying things like, "Oh, look! How cute! I've never seen one in daytime!" while I'm screaming, "Rabid! It's probably rabid! Stay AWAY from the obviously sick raccoon!"

Fun times, especially since no got rabies. Laughing Shocked
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
Mana and Nekomusume's friendship is the cutest thing ever. It's easy to forget given how much of a tsundere she is, but Neko has a heart of gold when it comes to friends and even strangers.

Mana not knowing where melons are grown is realistic but at the same time kind of weird given that her family has a summer house right in the countryside.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:57 am Reply with quote
I'm curious if there's a relevance to the number counterpart to Nanashi's name, 774?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
Isn't it just 74?
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:40 am Reply with quote
True, I was thinking "Na" on its own was 7, my bad
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:41 am Reply with quote
Considering 4 is associated with death, perhaps it might mean seven deaths or seven sins?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 20