• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GeGeGe no Kitarō

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
I need to give a big shout-out to episode 23 for its clever and affecting use of My Grandfather's Clock, a tune the original lyrics to which I thought had been forgotten...
Cab329

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
That episode was adorable. This show has really grown on me over the course of this year.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
The 1985 flashback was interesting. I'd half expected to see the original child Neko Musume design, but instead we got what looked like an older/future secretary design of her.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
No mention of Neko Musume who proved yet again that she's best girl? Sad
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He doesn't even look affluent in his crummy robe and bare feet, something Sekiyo was fully aware of when she met him and they both reached for the same fallen apple in a stereotypical meet-cute. So why, then, did she go so far as to marry him?

I think she just ignored the outer trappings indicating a lack of wealth and bought his stories about being wealthy (with the gang being his underlings). It also doesn't seem to be unusual for her victims to be in love with her and still want to protect her after she rips them off. But Rat Man going the extra mile to protect her from his friends, even after she robbed him a second time, genuinely touched her. That and his ingenuous sincerity on their wedding night also seemed to endear him to her, just not enough to prevent her from acting on her nature (see the scorpion parable). So I think she did end up caring for him.

I think the part that pressed my heart the most was his emphasis on calling Kitaro et al "my family." It seemed both part of his deception that he was wealthy and normal (i.e., not an outcast), and part of his longing to actually have a family.

The origin story of the Sekiyo sounds like the workers spending all their money on the local prostitutes or hostesses and needing an excuse to tell their wives about where all the money went. "It wasn't my fault, I was supernaturally seduced by a youkai!"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:20 am Reply with quote

I liked that episode, but it seemed like everyone just turned on a dime emotionally, which made it kind of hard to run with. Her mother goes from "you're dirty, you're not my daughter" to "you go get a boyfriend sweetie and have fun!" literally overnight, apparently because she got 30 seconds of male attention. That's not just unhealthy, it's clinically bipolar. Yuna, on the other hand, leaps from threatening her mother with a knife to saving her life and forgiving all, in the space of about 15 minutes. That's one helluva mood swing, but I guess she's her mother's daughter. Even the youkai went from one extreme to the other at the drop of a hat. I'm going to need to see a doctor for the whiplash.

So it looks like this is just going to keep on going, which is fine with me.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:26 am Reply with quote
^I think it was mentioned somewhere that it's going to be 50+ episodes which is great since this is still one of my favourite shows.

But i agree that this was one of the weaker eps...was Mr. Bucktooth really the first one to ever ask mom out since her husband left her all those years ago or did she honestly fall madly for him (which would at least not make her superficial)? Now that i think about it, i wonder if the contrast between him and Gahi was intentional, though an 'ugly' human is still better than a gorgeous yokai would be a bit of a lame moral. Wink
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed the first Western Yokai episode! Goofy name of their leader aside, the western yokai were really well animated and stood out as really pleasantly threatening, interesting villains. The stakes have also clearly ratcheted up a few notches from where Gegege's stories usually relax.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It would be easy to take away that “foreign” equals “bad” from these two episodes, but I don't believe that's the intention.

It would be really disappointing if that was the actual "message", but i have faith in this show being more nuanced than this. I mean, they pretty much slammed the Japanese immigration policy as antiquated in the first couple of minutes after all... Surprised
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Just want to point out the latest episode is 29, not 28 Wink There seem to be two episode 26's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Just want to point out the latest episode is 29, not 28 Wink There seem to be two episode 26's.

Sorry for the confusion! We'll fix it with the next one.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...this episode gets major credit for its nods to the original source for Carmilla, the novella of the same name by Irish author J. Sheridan Le Fanu.

I was watching this shortly after finishing Castlevania 2, so it was especially fun comparing these two different yet also similar versions of Carmilla. Smile

It was also nice to see the girls get most of the action for once, even though Kitaro did help out in the end and i enjoyed seeing him and Agnes working together.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I saw the vampire episode as a horror-themed version of those "STOP! Eiga dorobo!" shorts that play before films in Japanese cinemas. Those who don't actually care about the experience of the film itself (they're only there for the sweets) and attempt to record and reappropriate that experience become literal bloodsucking vampires, whereas our heroes, who allow themselves to be in the moment of the cinema, are safe. It's a plea for viewing a trip to the movie theater as an excursion to another reality, and not merely a way to distract yourself for a few hours.

...Yes, I'm pretty sure that message wasn't entirely intended, but as a cinemaphile that's what I got out of it!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:33 am Reply with quote
I wonder how Rat Man got out? He evidently did, since he''s all over the preview. Smile
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Azuki-Arai is suppose to be spoiler[Nobuyoshi Araki aka] Azuki Araki Smile They look remarkably similar.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 20