• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Golden Kamuy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It turns out that all of Shiraishi's winnings are for naught anyway, when Inkarmat ends up using them herself, but Kiroranke's win does help the group as a whole.

Correction, Inkarmat bets everything on the horse Shiraishi wants except for one ticket, which she bets on Kiroranke's horse. Asirpa had all the tickets, since Inkarmat threw them at her to distract her as she escaped, so Asirpa got "an amount" of winnings, but I don't remember if she just got back whatever Shiraishi borrowed or if she got more.
Kamieichi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ushiyama certainly seems undeterred in his feelings for her.

Crunchyroll translated it as "Shut up", but "Fuzakeruna" actually means "Don't be ridiculous". Based on that we can assume he doesn't have feelings for Ienaga.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Inkarmat bets everything on the horse Shiraishi wants except for one ticket, which she bets on Kiroranke's horse. Asirpa had all the tickets, since Inkarmat threw them at her to distract her as she escaped, so Asirpa got "an amount" of winnings, but I don't remember if she just got back whatever Shiraishi borrowed or if she got more.

The anime did a poor job with this. All it required was a line or two or dialogue explaining what happened to the winnings from #3. Since everyone was betting on the yakuza boss's horse, the payout for a win on Kiroranke's horse should have been substantial.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
But... if everyone was betting on the yakuza boss's horse, the yakuza boss wasn't making much money from it. Isn't the idea of fixing a race that only the fixer knows that the fix is in?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:45 am Reply with quote
I'm happier with the production values this time around, even if they still have those weird fires. The backgrounds look a lot better, more organic, which some of the ones in the last few episodes of the first season did.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Ogata didn't use the ainu traps to catch woodcocks. Asirpa got 2 in her traps and he shot 3 more, just to prove that he could after she told him guns were not suited for woodcock-hunting
Ajc228

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:16 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm happier with the production values this time around, even if they still have those weird fires. The backgrounds look a lot better, more organic, which some of the ones in the last few episodes of the first season did.

It does seem more consistent than last season but it’s still barely animated. I think I’m just gonna read the manga because the direction/storyboarding isn’t strong enough to save the minimal animation.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
That episode was even sadder than the end of last week's. I felt so bad for everyone involved. Sad

I admit that i'm mostly watching show because one of the main themes seems to be that sanity is highly overrated and being deviant can be highly entertaining. But an episode like this brings back to mind that a lot of these characters had very traumatic experiences in the past which shaped them this way...i hope we'll be getting more of their backstories.
Zof

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
In general, I'm one of those people that HATE historical and sports anime, and HATE how the industry tries to force them both down our throats with overly flowery reviews and peer pressure tactics. The second I see "Edo Period" or "Nobunaga" in a description, I quit caring immediately. I don't want a history lesson. So it's a minor miracle that I'm watching Golden Kamuy at all. I'm very glad I am. It got me researching the Ainu people. That gave me ideas I'm using in my own writing. Love this show. Granted, I'm like most people and I don't whine like a child about CGI because I don't care.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't find Tsurumi's charisma hard to understand. He presents a very sympathetic and understanding ear to people who are otherwise shunned by society. He seems excited to participate in everyone's insanity, which is probably a first for the lunatics he gathers.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I don't find Tsurumi's charisma hard to understand. He presents a very sympathetic and understanding ear to people who are otherwise shunned by society. He seems excited to participate in everyone's insanity, which is probably a first for the lunatics he gathers.

This. He gives them a place to belong, tells them he needs them and he seems to be genuinely interested in their stories. Considering most of these guys' backstories, he's probably the first person in a long time to show them any kindness and sympathy...and indulges their special interests, like wanting to torture their estranged father to death, for example.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Rose Bridges wrote:
...it's hard to even say if he'd be different if he had been loved. I mean, plenty of people grow up with neglectful parents and don't become bloodthirsty sociopaths.

Actually, according to neuroscientist James Fallon, who found out that he himself has the genetic variables and brain patterns of a psychopath through his research, a healthy, non-traumatic childhood with a supportive, loving family makes all the difference:
In an interview with The Atlantic, he said

James Fallon wrote:

For me, I think I was protected because I was brought up in an upper-middle-class, educated environment with very supportive men and women in my family. So there may be a mass convergence of genetics and environment over a long period of time. But what would happen if I lost my family or lost my job; what would I then become? That's the test....

A primary psychopath won't necessarily be dangerous,...[but if we detect it during childhood we can say]:" Make sure this kid is never bullied in school; keep them away from street violence", on and on.

A lot of kids, most kids, get bullied and they may get pissed off, but that doesn’t create a personality disorder. But there are 20 percent of kids who are really susceptible and they may ultimately be triggered for a personality disorder in puberty. If we know these children can be helped by making sure that they aren't abused or abandoned—because you've got to get there really early—well, then, that would be important to do. I don't mean to preach.

As a mental health peer with an interest in trauma, the takeaway of Dr. Fallon's ideas for me is that even if a person is unable to experience or express empathy, if we shield kids from trauma and give people incentives to behave in pro-social ways in society, we can reduce dangerous, criminal behavior in society as a whole.

And one of my favorite aspects of Golden Kamuy is how well it showcases its character's traumatic pasts and links them to their current behavior. We don't have to have sympathy for Ogata, but we can recognize that if his childhood hadn't been as bad, he probably wouldn't have killed most of his family members, and so the way he was abandoned by his father was a tragedy all the same.

Of course, most of the characters are capable of empathy and are suffering PTSD from the war. Sogimoto had to stifle his empathy during the war and recognizes the psychic damage that inflicted on him. Tanigaki is driven by his strong sense of morality and righteousness, and because he has this strong sense, he feels that he is all the more so obligated to make up for his sins of leaving his family to pursue revenge against a man who turned out to be innocent.

(I just read an article last night on veteran trauma that, while I don't agree with all of it, makes some very good, illustrative points despite the fact that it was written by opinion columnist David Brooks Razz Fighting the Spiritual Void)

In general, the author has a great sense of human psychology (if exaggerated). And props for how much respect Asirpa is given, and especially for the way Sugimoto treats her---as an equal partner, with all the respect that entails.

As for Tsurumi, I agree with Merida and Yttrbio and add that he is seductively flattering in a way that made even the psychopathic Ogata recognize. He always acts genuinely interested in his men and praises them as if they were heroes. He's like a really savvy politician!
[/url][/quote]
Zof

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
I was a camp counsellor one summer because a really attractive girl asked me to do it. There was a kid named Jared that was literally a sociopath. As in, we were warned to watch out for him because he killed small animals, pulled the wings off insects, set shit on fire, etc. My main concern was the other kids would attack and pick on him mercilessly. They acted more like him towards him than he acted like himself. Great right? Let's have little jerk kids attack the ticking timebomb. And they wonder why we have school shootings. So, we are doing the youth version of bivouac. Almost midnight, a large black bear decides to enter our camp, and start eating food from a cooler. Everybody is freaking out. You aren't prepared to deal with a bear. I don't care who you are. There's a huge difference between seeing a bear on a screen, and one eating your leftover sandwiches twenty feet away. You know how cats get when they think you are going to try to take their food? The thing is being hyper aggressive and loud towards the scared people around it. So this thing empties two coolers, and it's just sitting there for half an hour. Everyone is scared to death. Jared somehow gets away from his group, and is walking right at the bear bold as hell. The bear stands up on it's legs. Jared makes himself as big as a 12 year boy can and start shrieking at the bear. The bear says "ef this" and takes off. Now, I'm running towards him before I know I'm going to do it, and I'm hugging him hard but yelling at him because he scared me. He looks up at me calmly and says "just because I don't feel anything doesn't mean I'm bad." I haven't judged a book by it's cover since. Kids can be so mean towards each other. They can also be amazing. They stopped picking on Jared.

Are they going to use Ogata as a badguy? Probably. But here's to hoping they don't take the easy path. One of themes of the show seems to be we are all messed up somehow. Clearly Sugimoto is messed up quite well, and he manages to keep doing the right thing. I'd like to see Ogata not be the badguy. I'd like to see him be a hero. One that really gleams.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Just last episode I was thinking that this season would develop into a war between Tsurumi's gay harem and Asirpa's platonic harem, but the latest episode seems to have thrown that out of the window Laughing

Quote:
As for the worst case, I've been suspicious about both Kiroranke and Inkarmat's loyalties for a while, and she's just too shady for me to buy that she's only doing this as an Ainu woman protecting her culture, especially given her connection to Tsurumi.
I also found that a little hard to believe. One interesting thing about Inkarmat is that, in spite of her practising traditional Ainu fortune-telling (as far as we can tell), she's able to understand Ainu but is never shown actually speaking it, apparently even requiring an interpreter to talk to Asirpa's grandmother. Yeah, equating language to cultural identity is its own can of worms, but her character always struck me as a harbinger of both rapidly advancing assimilation and cynical exploitation of indigenous cultural practices in pursuit of a hidden agenda. At the same time, I'm not ruling out the possibility that she sincerely believes what she says about Wilk. She may be a good enough actress to have faked those tears, but it doesn't seem to be in character for her to feign emotional weakness.

Quote:
Wilk's potential motivation is also just too interesting to leave behind. He was a freedom fighter on Sakhalin, as desire for freedom from the tsar's oppression was something that united both sides of his family. His father was likely there as a convict, which is where he met his Sakhalin Ainu mother. I like the way that they unite in a common cause from opposite ends of the gigantic Russian Empire.
I love how his backstory also has some historical plausibility, as there were indeed Poles who were exiled to Siberia and the Far East and ended up marrying into indigenous communities, perhaps the most famous such person being Bronisław Piłsudski, an anthropologist and brother of the leader of the Second Polish Republic Józef Piłsudski. His family was actually in Japanese news earlier this year, as Ainu activists managed to win a court case to return the remains of Bronisław's uncle-in-law chief Bahunke from the University of Hokkaido (where they were kept for anthropological research) to his family's living descendants.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The aphrodisiac properties of sea otter seem to overwhelm any preexisting trepidation over experimentation, leading all these seemingly-straight dudes to become consumed with lust for each other and start stripping. For a second, I thought they were all going to wind up in a gay orgy, but instead Sugimoto suggests a sumo match.

That chest hair! Shocked Laughing

As for the Inkarmat/Kiroranke problem, i liked Sugimoto's hands-on approach to just keep travelling together for now and if one of them should end up dead, he's going to kill the other one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10