• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Golden Kamuy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HolyR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
HolyR wrote:

I mean I think they do kill it for sustenance. They just raise it for a while so that there's more meat/fur on it when they do kill it.

And yes, the ceremony stuff is kinda an "excuse" to feel good about killing the animal -- Asirpa touched on that in the ep. But they gotta survive so they gotta do it, and eventually it integrates itself into the their culture.

Would it make sense to raise a bear for sustenance? They almost exclusively eat stuff human can eat just fine so it just seems like you'd be wasting a lot of food for little return.

Maybe they do it for the pelt/other bear stuff? According to the show the bladder sells for a lot. But yeah, I'm not sure.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one not bothered by the CG? I know I'm biased because I like the manga, but it honestly doesn't bother me. I am loving the show and even think the comedy comes across better animated than in the manga.
Key wrote:

AholePony wrote:
Starting off with a war flashback and jumping into a native people's plight and..... Well I can't unsee our main character in this series as anime Kevin Costner. The parallels with the opening to Dances With Wolves (including a wolf cameo) are strong with this one.

Sugimoto isn't John Dunbar - not even close. (And I say that as someone who would probably put Dances With Wolves on my all-time Top 5 list.) And I don't in the slightest mean that deprecatingly. He's his own character, and the series is better for it.

Sugimoto may be his own character, but this story is undoubtedly inspired by Hollywood Westerns. From Sugimoto panning for gold to a girl seeking justice for her father's murder ([url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Grit_(2010_film)]True Grit[/url]). There are a lot of Western tropes in this show, is what I'm saying.

meiam wrote:

Would it make sense to raise a bear for sustenance? They almost exclusively eat stuff human can eat just fine so it just seems like you'd be wasting a lot of food for little return.

It does if you want a fur coat. I figure fur is worth more than meat in Nothern territories.
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:31 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Am I the only one not bothered by the CG? I know I'm biased because I like the manga, but it honestly doesn't bother me. I am loving the show and even think the comedy comes across better animated than in the manga.

Sugimoto may be his own character, but this story is undoubtedly inspired by Hollywood Westerns. From Sugimoto panning for gold to a girl seeking justice for her father's murder ([url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Grit_(2010_film)]True Grit[/url]). There are a lot of Western tropes in this show, is what I'm saying.

[

I saw the first episode of this, saw the terrible CG bear, then went and read the entire manga so far. Then I came back to it, and guess what: the CG bear became much more tolerable and easy to ignore, because I had come to love the characters so much and I was happy just seeing them interacting. Still, that doesn't diminish the horrible censorship that's even worse than the CG: the scene where Ushiyama throws that prostitute was almost comical. A lot of Golden Kamuy's charm comes from its gruesome scenes and those scenes will be entirely lost here.

True, but then again it's a common secret that the western genre was heavily influenced by Akira Kurosawa's movies, so we end up coming back to Japan again anyway. Razz
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:28 am Reply with quote
Chocoreto wrote:
A lot of Golden Kamuy's charm comes from its gruesome scenes and those scenes will be entirely lost here.

Really? You're saying that after the scene where the skin of the guy's face has been ripped off by the bear and just hanging there and the other guy is draped from the tree branches with his entrails dangling down?

I actually thought the artistic effort was less consistent this episode; either that or its shortcomings bothered me more. Still love the story and characters, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:06 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Really? You're saying that after the scene where the skin of the guy's face has been ripped off by the bear and just hanging there and the other guy is draped from the tree branches with his entrails dangling down?

Yep. Exactly. You thought that it couldn't get any creepier or more hardocore? Oooh but it can!

If you go and read the manga chapter, you will realize just how much was skipped over and never shown when the bear goes berserk on them. There is a full frontal shot in a panel that shows you exactly what has happened to the guy's face. Here they just show you a glimpse of the skin hanging down so that you can just imagine it. Also, they never show what exactly happened to the other guy that was hanging dead over the tree branches and how he fought the bear. Trust me, the brutality of the manga is not shown in this anime.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:57 am Reply with quote
^And showing that violence is necessary to fully "enjoy" the story? Personally, i still find the contrast between the serious and comedic bits fairly jarring, i don't think that would impprove if they showed even more graphic violence...

As for this episode, i found it a bit puzzling how readily grandma was willing to sell off Asirpa to a complete stranger because that would still be better than her not getting married at all. But hey, "cultural differences", i suppose...
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
^
Traditional communities like Asirpa's aren't tolerant of major deviations from the norm (they wouldn't maintain their traditions if they were), and Asirpa is not only a major deviation by their standards but also prides herself on being one. Hence she probably isn't considered marriage-worthy within her community, especially by older folk. Combine that with everyone seeming to have a certain impression when Asirpa came back into the village with a man (false as it may have been) and it's not hard at all to understand the grandmother's train of thought. "Hey, this guy at least tolerates her, so he's a prospect."

Another way you could look at it is that Asirpa doesn't really fit in with the Ainu mindset even though she's steeped in their traditions, so why not rely on an outsider?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
There is something that I do quite get, the bear is CG, yet the baby bear and wolf are hand-drawn. Is this because of the size of the bear or because of the fur?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
That was another great episode.

Also, a lot of great facial expressions this week.

spoiler[http://randomc.net/image/Golden%20Kamuy/Golden%20Kamuy%20-%2003%20-%20Large%2017.jpg
http://randomc.net/image/Golden%20Kamuy/Golden%20Kamuy%20-%2003%20-%20Large%2020.jpg
Very Happy]

Merida wrote:
^And showing that violence is necessary to fully "enjoy" the story? Personally, i still find the contrast between the serious and comedic bits fairly jarring, i don't think that would impprove if they showed even more graphic violence...

I can understand the thought that it can be a bit jarring but I'm really enjoying their range of serious and oddly comedic, even when it's abrupt and also when it occurs naturally.

MarshalBanana wrote:
There is something that I do quite get, the bear is CG, yet the baby bear and wolf are hand-drawn. Is this because of the size of the bear or because of the fur?

Not sure how accurate this was but I saw someone link to (a translation of?) a comment by the director which said that it was indeed because of the fur and also because they did want the bear to give off a unique feel different from everything else. It didn't really bother me much.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/8b08en/golden_kamuy_director_discuss_the_issue_of_the/
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Traditional communities like Asirpa's aren't tolerant of major deviations from the norm (they wouldn't maintain their traditions if they were), and Asirpa is not only a major deviation by their standards but also prides herself on being one. Hence she probably isn't considered marriage-worthy within her community, especially by older folk.

The grandmother observed that Asirpa spends all her time in the forest and hasn't learned her gender's traditional tasks making her unfit for marriage.

Quote:
Combine that with everyone seeming to have a certain impression when Asirpa came back into the village with a man (false as it may have been) and it's not hard at all to understand the grandmother's train of thought. "Hey, this guy at least tolerates her, so he's a prospect."

Especially since there probably aren't any prospects in Asirpa's village anyway. If she marries at all, it will have to be marrying "out."
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:40 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

It is part of the story, and an important one at that. It shows how nature and people can be completely merciless. So yes, I'd say that it is necessary. If a part of the story misses of course you can't enjoy it fully. Okay, it's not like Tokyo Ghoul: re, where the feeling of the manga completely flew over the anime's head, and we all know that there are limitations for what can actually be shown on TV. But here they skipped entire scenes! (I'm still laughing at how bad that prostitute-throwing thing was.)

If you can't handle the comedy now, what will happen later when it goes completely off the rails and almost crosses over to parody? Not that the anime will even get at that point, but this bizarre combination of comedy and gruesomeness is what makes Golden Kamuy charming and special.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:13 am Reply with quote
Chocoreto wrote:

If you can't handle the comedy now, what will happen later when it goes completely off the rails and almost crosses over to parody?

I will be here complaining about it, of course. Wink But if it really should go completely off the rails, i might actually like it better than the current mix of violent seriousness and mildly amusing comedy.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Choices like Asirpa's grandma insisting that Sugimoto marry her granddaughter feel somewhat off, given how much Ainu assimilation was driven by Ainu women being forced to marry Japanese men. Asirpa's line about being a "new kind of Ainu woman" also rings hollow when we know the "modern era" she describes will result in the complete destruction of her culture. This could be the author's intent, of course, but that doesn't make it any less uncomfortable in the moment.

I don't have much an issue with this becasue this more about highlighting Asirpa own unique situation rather speaking about all of Ainu. She right in that she far from the norm of her tribe and by Ainu standards she not marriageable in that context. If anything I'm more surprised at how the community is so accepting of her behavior, but I supposed this also must have to do with her father's rep.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
I was entertained by this episode.
I don't know why the reviewer thinks artistic and animation quality is as important as s/he implies. There have been tons of ugly/badly animated but popular anime (Dragonball, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, KareKano, just to name a few). Sure, I love it when a series looks pretty, but the plot and characters are far more important. Though I must admit that ugly CG is an allergy of mine Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:04 am Reply with quote
I agree, the Kingdom anime had horrible animation but I was introduced to the series by watching it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although after reading the manga afterwards I'm super glad I watched the anime first as I would never have enjoyed it as much the other way around. But I think that applies to most people that read the manga and then watch the anime, it's almost never as good in comparison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10