• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Golden Kamuy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Sakamoto's dead eyes at Asirpa "coaxing" him to bring out the miso was the real gold this week.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:22 am Reply with quote
Ep 8,

Haha, this series really has some weird characters. I imagine this new masochistic serial killer isn't going to last more than an episode or two at most but never let it be said the side characters in this series are boring.

I also like the fact that now we have 3 main groups going after the gold, and two other groups will be fighting each other as well, which makes it more interesting than the main heroes fighting alone against a large organization or something.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 was fun, but the glowing light over the masochist killer’s privates has me gotten me wondering how this show has an interest in boners. Not a big thing, but it was just very unexpected and I didn’t know whether to laugh or make an Asirpa disgusting look on my face. Asirpa saying she’s going to go Oosama was the funniest moment of the episode, though. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Nowhere is Henmi's unique threat more apparent than in his calm, steady, whispery voice.

And kudos to Toshihiko Seki for making him creepy as hell.

Yeah, the glowing crotch kept making me feel like he was peeing his pants. Rolling Eyes

Every episode I wonder what new animal(s) they'll find creative ways to kill. I fear that animals will be harmed in the making of the inevitable live action version...
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:26 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I fear that animals will be harmed in the making of the inevitable live action version...

Nah, the animals will be fine or replaced with CGI. I'm more concerned about the human actors who will need to be skinned. Wonder how much that pays above scale.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
We learn more at this point about Tsurumi's plans through Tanigaki's exposition. This is one of the few places that the anime diverges from the manga, which already revealed some of this info back when they captured Sugimoto. Basically, the 7th Hokkaido Division was cheated out of the spoils of the war, so they're feeling pretty embittered at the government. Tsurumi takes advantage of this by rallying them to a military coup. His aims for the new government sound noble, particularly his proposal for more support for the surviving families of dead soldiers, but other flashbacks suggest he harbors more sinister aims, like starting up a factory for extra capital. I've been curious so far as to why the anime shifted around this backstory info, but this sequence helps clear things up. The music and visuals work together to make a much more compelling case for Tsurumi's coup that we've seen previously. We also get some more good crazy faces from him, which is always a bonus. Tanigaki's obvious sympathy for Tsurumi's cause over Sugimoto's could also lead to future tension, especially since Sugimoto refuses to fall for the trick and give up his quest.

Okay so this bit of the Episode 7 review has been confusing me for a week or so. I even went back and checked my Volume 2 and 4 of the manga and episode 4 and 7 of the anime, and I still don't see what the anime did that diverged/shifted scenes in regards to exposition on Tsurumi's both the anime and manga appear identical in narrative placement of those scenes?
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:43 am Reply with quote
Oh for God's sake. FOR GOD'S SAKE! Henmi was a pervert who got sexually aroused in the prospect of death! It didn't have to do with anyone's sex or gender, yes not even the orca's! Stop trying to interpret everything as anti-gay propaganda! He was just a pervert and by far, not the worst one of the series. There are at least three more people that beat him in this category, so for God's sake already!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Are folks suggesting Henmi was intended to be read as gay? I thought it was pretty unambiguous that he was sexually and romantically obsessed with death and dying, ideally in a ghastly struggle. The show didn't go out of its way to show it, but I doubt he much cared about the sex of who killed him (though the show doesn't seem to include any women powerful & violent enough to excite him as please-be-the-one-to-kill-me prospects). He just wanted to die in a manner befitting his weird obsession with his brother's struggle with death, and -- until that became realizable -- wanted to see as many other people as possible die while brutally, desperately fighting for life.

That's not what I actually came here to write, though. I actually wanted to just say: I don't often keep my posts genuinely terse, but this show is pretty hilarious and bizarrely engaging. Really diggin' it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I didn't read him as gay, and I didn't think Rose actually did either (but I dunno, maybe she did, so what), but I can see how someone with an anti-gay agenda might, which is what she seemed concerned about. No need to get hysterical about her observation though.

Quote:
she runs across the strangled body under a trap door.

That wasn't just any old trap door, he was in the toilet (where she left to at the end of last episode), which is why she was so desperate with the old lady. If nothing else, this series seems to be pretty good about continuity. Smile
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:15 am Reply with quote
I think my favorite thing about this show is the riffing between Asirpa and Sugimoto. Their interactions/chemistry are surprisingly natural and hilarious.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to think this might be better for me as a binge watch or in chunks, because a lot of the details around the cast of thousands has clearly escaped me. Somehow I had it in my head that Nopperabo was killed or outside in hiding after instigating the prisoners' escape or something. I didn't think he was still safely locked up in prison. >.<"

Anyway, one thing I got from this episode was that Sugimoto hasn't been totally lulled into complacence by Shiraishi and still mistrusts him, so that's good to know.

And another bear gets a bullet (and yet another eaten by a fish). If they keep heading north, pretty soon they'll be clubbing baby seals...
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He's rescued by a new character, Kironanke Nispa, who was a friend of Asirpa's father.
As a cultural note, "nispa" is an Ainu honorific, not a part of his name.

Quote:
We also learn that Nopperabo is not from Hokkaido and not really Ainu, so this doesn't remove the element of him betraying another culture—it just changes how Asirpa was raised to feel about it. I'm also curious if Asirpa might have an identity crisis from learning about her mixed heritage. The anime doesn't seem to explicitly confirm where Nopperabo is from, except that he came through Sakhalin (a large island north of Hokkaido that is currently controlled by Russia, but was disputed by Russia and Japan for centuries). This means that he might be Russian.
I'm gonna have to rewatch later to check again, but I seem to have missed where it's stated that he wasn't Ainu, because to me the implication seemed to be that he was Ainu, just not one of the Hokkaido Ainu. Sure, the Ainu of Sakhalin and the Kurile islands likely didn't have regular contact with the Hokkaido Ainu and their versions of the language apparently weren't mutually intelligible, but they were still identifiably Ainu, to the point that the Japanese "granted" them citizenship soon after getting control of their islands in the same way they did to the Hokkaido Ainu earlier (and which they didn't to to the other indigenous groups of Sakhalin, like Nivkhs and Oroks).
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm starting to think this might be better for me as a binge watch or in chunks, because a lot of the details around the cast of thousands has clearly escaped me. Somehow I had it in my head that Nopperabo was killed or outside in hiding after instigating the prisoners' escape or something. I didn't think he was still safely locked up in prison. >.<"

Whew. I’m glad to see that I wasn’t the only one feeling this way as I’m having almost roughly the same experience. I’m still having a lot of fun with the show due to multiple factors such as the characters and their interactions continuing to engage, but dang it, I keep missing things when I don’t intend to. Embarassed
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
I'm gonna have to rewatch later to check again, but I seem to have missed where it's stated that he wasn't Ainu, because to me the implication seemed to be that he was Ainu, just not one of the Hokkaido Ainu.
Having rewatched, while some lines do feel like they place Asirpa's father and Kiroranke outside the Ainu community (lines about stealing the gold from the Ainu, or returning the gold to the Ainu), the way Hijikata phrased his description of Asirpa's father (that he's "not an Ainu from Japan) leaves the possibility of him being an Ainu from elsewhere. They're more likely to be Sakhalin Ainu than Kuril ones, since at the time of Asirpa's birth the Kuril islands would have been under Japanese control for more than a decade, whereas the whole of Sakhalin was under Russian control.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We also learn that Nopperabo is not from Hokkaido and not really Ainu, so this doesn't remove the element of him betraying another culture—it just changes how Asirpa was raised to feel about it.

As others have said, this isn't strictly true. spoiler[Nopperabo is actually a Russian Ainu, though that doesn't change the fact that Asirpa is still mixed race. Nopperabo himself is biracial, though I think the series makes it pretty clear later that he was raised Ainu, albeit in Russia.

A slightly bigger spoiler: Nopperabo actually steals the gold for the sake of his Russian Ainu brothers and sisters, which is why he's placed in such opposition to the Hokkaido Ainu.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10