• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Golden Kamuy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:51 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
I’m really enjoying this series so far. The main characters are very engaging and have a solid chemistry with each other as well as some humorous moments together. The story is very intriguing and it’ll be interesting to see where it go. Animation could improve, but right now it’s tolerable enough to still have a very enjoyable time with it. This is quite an interesting show to follow this season on Mondays and I’ll be happy to stick with it to the end.

Pretty much of the same mind here. Animation issues aren't going to keep it from being one of my top-priority views for the week, and I was impressed by how much they packed into one episode without it feeling rushed. Already thought Asirpa was cute, but that little bit of drool on her mouth as she was talking about eating the squirrels was great little touch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
There's definitely a lot of room for character improvement ...i kinda get his motivation, but she's following this complete and no-at-all shady stranger why exactly? Because it might eventually lead her to her father's killer? How old is she supposed to be anyhow? Their teaming up just happened way too conveniently for my taste...

I have not read the manga, but love, maybe? What I get from both episodes is her deep amount of respect for a fellow warrior and survivor. She goes far enough to verbally recognize this herself after the bear fight in episode 1. That respect seems mutual and part of the reason their chemistry has been strong thus far, but the commentary in episode 2 about her not being at the traditional age for marriage feels like a caveat for the story going forward. She is a tomboy, and also states she had no brothers and instead her father taught her to hunt. She also has the ability to stay Sugimoto's hand in violent situations, and her principles and "wisdom" are unabashed and evident, but yet she continues on this journey with him. I wish the show had more time to explore more deeply into cultural nuances for a western fan like me, but two episodes in and so far I think there is more here than convenience, IMO.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Every season it seems there's at least one show that draws absurd criticisms. This season it's apparently Golden Kamuy. I've seen shows with much worse animation than this, and some of the detailed close-up scenes are quite lovely.

I much prefer a show like this with a reasonably compelling plot and B/B+ animation over something like Violet Evergarden where the story didn't reach the level set by the illustrations.
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, I have already criticized the columnists of this site, and I have already entered into friction. But I'll be a little more restrained. I will say it in an orderly, calm, and non-acidic way to create friction .... I will say as a friend until: stop saying that the series is inconsistent because of production values! This has nothing to do with money!

The example of which problems such as these may appear are Marchen Madchen and Just Because !, which by the way was happier than this first. Talking about "production values" gives the false notion that a series has problems of consistency and direction because of money. My friends! No studio will do a 12-episode job, with each episode lasting for about 20 minutes without having a high enough value to make it all happen. In the first two episodes, the series had problems of consistency, this does not mean that the budget is poor. I think it is very wrong for ANN columnists [with all respect] to ignorantly pass this kind of misinformation. I urge ANN columnists to improve the way they do column. I criticize you precisely because you have no idea what you are writing. With all respect.

This has nothing to do with production value, but schedule! The biggest problem of the productions nowadays is not money, but time of production. Schedule! Put this on your heads! A series start with the first two episodes with consistency problems can only mean schedule, not budget!
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
PFdaCIA wrote:

This has nothing to do with production value, but schedule! The biggest problem of the productions nowadays is not money, but time of production. Schedule! Put this on your heads! A series start with the first two episodes with consistency problems can only mean schedule, not budget!

The writer already knows this and factored it into her phrasing. The words "money" or "budget" were never used in the review, hell not even "resources" which could also mean time or manpower. The phrase "production values" describes an end result, not a process. It doesn't refer to a specific monetary number, it refers to perceived "value" of the end result, which is lacking in the case of Golden Kamuy, for reasons probably related to manpower and scheduling, since this is (Manglobe) Geno Studio we're talking about. I get why people get hung up on this difference, but at least you should wait to bring out the complaint until the writer actually does the thing you're complaining about, because she didn't.
HolyR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I mean, yes. The manga is very, very good and is, like most books, better than the movie. But I'm impressed by this so far. It seems to recognize what the tone of the story is and deliver on that, at least. I'm looking forward to more. Like, way looking forward to it.
AholePony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Starting off with a war flashback and jumping into a native people's plight and..... Well I can't unsee our main character in this series as anime Kevin Costner. The parallels with the opening to Dances With Wolves (including a wolf cameo) are strong with this one.

I'll stay for the treasure hunt, though if this is an ongoing manga I fear the plot will go off the rails to extend those chapters for continued serialization. I'd have more faith if this was an original, those often have tighter structure than a shounen-esque series typically would.
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
PFdaCIA wrote:

The writer already knows this and factored it into her phrasing. The words "money" or "budget" were never used in the review, hell not even "resources" which could also mean time or manpower. The phrase "production values" describes an end result, not a process. It doesn't refer to a specific monetary number, it refers to perceived "value" of the end result, which is lacking in the case of Golden Kamuy, for reasons probably related to manpower and scheduling, since this is (Manglobe) Geno Studio we're talking about. I get why people get hung up on this difference, but at least you should wait to bring out the complaint until the writer actually does the thing you're complaining about, because she didn't.

You're twisting. "Production values"; there is no other meaning for it. Be honest and recognize the logic behind the word "value." If the writer does not understand the logic behind what he himself writes, then I think we are wrong in the part that refers to the writers of the site.

If it's to make such a column, then it's best to leave the writers team, or close the site. That simple. I claim, because like all those who allow the advertisement to appear, that supports the site, I also expect a better commitment from the writers, since I keep them accessing and supporting, allowing the advertising of their sponsors to be accessible to me.

Simply this!
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
^^
"Production values" doesn't automatically mean budget, no matter what you want to claim, so it's probably best if you get off your high horse about that.

AholePony wrote:
Starting off with a war flashback and jumping into a native people's plight and..... Well I can't unsee our main character in this series as anime Kevin Costner. The parallels with the opening to Dances With Wolves (including a wolf cameo) are strong with this one.

Sugimoto isn't John Dunbar - not even close. (And I say that as someone who would probably put Dances With Wolves on my all-time Top 5 list.) And I don't in the slightest mean that deprecatingly. He's his own character, and the series is better for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:15 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:
I’m really enjoying this series so far. The main characters are very engaging and have a solid chemistry with each other as well as some humorous moments together. The story is very intriguing and it’ll be interesting to see where it go. Animation could improve, but right now it’s tolerable enough to still have a very enjoyable time with it. This is quite an interesting show to follow this season on Mondays and I’ll be happy to stick with it to the end.

Pretty much of the same mind here. Animation issues aren't going to keep it from being one of my top-priority views for the week, and I was impressed by how much they packed into one episode without it feeling rushed. Already thought Asirpa was cute, but that little bit of drool on her mouth as she was talking about eating the squirrels was great little touch.

Same here, I'm loving this show.

yuna49 wrote:
Every season it seems there's at least one show that draws absurd criticisms. This season it's apparently Golden Kamuy. I've seen shows with much worse animation than this, and some of the detailed close-up scenes are quite lovely.

I much prefer a show like this with a reasonably compelling plot and B/B+ animation over something like Violet Evergarden where the story didn't reach the level set by the illustrations.

Agreed.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
PFdaCIA wrote:
"Production values"; there is no other meaning for it. Be honest and recognize the logic behind the word "value."

There are actually many meanings of the word "value." Production values aren't directly about money any more than "family values" implies they're determined by a family's income or household budget.

OT: "Ooh, I thought those wolves were extinct! Gotta kill it!" Humans... Rolling Eyes
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
OT: "Ooh, I thought those wolves were extinct! Gotta kill it!" Humans... Rolling Eyes

Humans love to pursue prestige and fame, as well as superlative titles. Sports and the Olympics are the best examples of this. Watch the best athletes compete to determine who's better! Being better gets you lots of perks, like money and advertising deals! Hey look, our company logo is on the NASCAR winner's car, that means we're associated with the best, which means... something, clearly!
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't particularly impressed with ep 3, more CGI bear didn't help but it was also the bad guy taking a turn toward the very cartoonish. The tribe stuff was fine, but I always disliked the whole "oh it's okay that we kill them because <insert>", doubly more so when they're raised them specifically to kill them (as oppose to sustenance).
HolyR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Wasn't particularly impressed with ep 3, more CGI bear didn't help but it was also the bad guy taking a turn toward the very cartoonish. The tribe stuff was fine, but I always disliked the whole "oh it's okay that we kill them because <insert>", doubly more so when they're raised them specifically to kill them (as oppose to sustenance).

I mean I think they do kill it for sustenance. They just raise it for a while so that there's more meat/fur on it when they do kill it.

And yes, the ceremony stuff is kinda an "excuse" to feel good about killing the animal -- Asirpa touched on that in the ep. But they gotta survive so they gotta do it, and eventually it integrates itself into the their culture.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
HolyR wrote:

I mean I think they do kill it for sustenance. They just raise it for a while so that there's more meat/fur on it when they do kill it.

And yes, the ceremony stuff is kinda an "excuse" to feel good about killing the animal -- Asirpa touched on that in the ep. But they gotta survive so they gotta do it, and eventually it integrates itself into the their culture.

Would it make sense to raise a bear for sustenance? They almost exclusively eat stuff human can eat just fine so it just seems like you'd be wasting a lot of food for little return.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10