• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tokyo Ghoul:re

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:49 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
As for Furuta, his motives thus far are spoiler[making 101 babies with Rize, which he accomplished as of this episode] and of course, SUPER PEACE.

The really terrible thing is that they cut the scene where he straight up tells spoiler[kaneki and by extension, us the audience his whole plan in that same ludicrous manner, and we're supposed to think he's just batshit insane. But it was incredibly accurate.]
Honestly I don't know what happens behind the scenes when they decide to animate a series but if they were really going to half ass it like this it really shouldn't be done in the first place. I haven't been this disappointed since the last iteration of berserk.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The scene is a little cheesy, peppered with flashbacks of their time together, but the lovely insert song does a lot of work to make it feel like a sweet and cathartic moment.

I've refrained from posting in this thread so far because i never thought this season was quite as terrible as everybody else seems to think (i'm not a manga reader, for the record), but this ep. seriously made me reconsider.

First, there's Mutsuki who's "character development" has just been cringeworthy, then being topped off by one of the worst depictions of sex i've ever been unfortunate enough to watch. It was basically just a sequence of stills with some awkward flashbacks inbetween and don't even get me started on that awfully intrusive song...the "he managed to knock her up on the first try" did give me a bit of a chuckle at least.
Dayblack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Quote:
The scene is a little cheesy, peppered with flashbacks of their time together, but the lovely insert song does a lot of work to make it feel like a sweet and cathartic moment.

I've refrained from posting in this thread so far because i never thought this season was quite as terrible as everybody else seems to think (i'm not a manga reader, for the record), but this ep. seriously made me reconsider.

First, there's Mutsuki who's "character development" has just been cringeworthy, then being topped off by one of the worst depictions of sex i've ever been unfortunate enough to watch. It was basically just a sequence of stills with some awkward flashbacks inbetween and don't even get me started on that awfully intrusive song...the "he managed to knock her up on the first try" did give me a bit of a chuckle at least.

In the manga the sex scene is the same as the anime, and guess what? the images are so static. hahaha Anime hyper
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's some unintentional hilarity in how Touka suddenly realizes she's pregnant in the middle of scarfing down a giant burger.

She knew she was pregnant beforehand; that's why she's eating a burger, a food that's useless and disgusting to ghouls - because the half-ghoul half-human kid needs that nutrition.
spoiler[Mutsuki commands a merciless squadron of investigators who drive motorcycles off rooftops]Those are bicycles thank you, the Oggai are underage and Supreme Leader Furuta would never do something as craven as have children drive motorcycles. Also the anime choked on giving them the helmets they were all wearing, this is a tragic oversight.

Luckily of all things Pierrot chose to lovingly depict Kaneki's and Touka's first time, so the anime is redeemed.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:03 am Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:

In the manga the sex scene is the same as the anime, and guess what? the images are so static. hahaha Anime hyper

You're a genius aren't you? So in the future we just take the manga panels, put some sappy music over it and call it "anime", that would save a lot of time and money... Rolling Eyes
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
Gonna have to change my username to "Powerful Ghoul Jizz" after this wonderful review.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it's weird that we're just going to pretend that Root A never happened

It was largely speaking a flaming pile coasting on the manga material it butchered, and an admittedly competent anime-original ending can't change that.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also apparently Hinami has super-hearing now? I apologize if this has ever come up before, but this is just such a bizarre thing to pull out of the blue in these final moments.
Her sensory abilities are the reason she was allowed into Aogiri in the first place. IIRC, they were showcased way back when Touka and co. went to rescue Kaneki from Yamori, as well as during the Auction Raid, and probably more times I can't recall off the top of my head.
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Overall, Tokyo Ghoul didn't have a good anime adaptation.
First season was nice, and Re:'s first season was alright, but Root A and Re: season 2 completely butchered the manga.
Re: should have had 3 cours.
At this point, I don't imagine a remake any day soon but if one day it happens, I just hope they learn from all the mistakes of this lame adaptation.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The last episode was pretty good. I am sad to see the end of Toyko Ghoul
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:57 am Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
Overall, Tokyo Ghoul didn't have a good anime adaptation.
First season was nice, and Re:'s first season was alright, but Root A and Re: season 2 completely butchered the manga.
Re: should have had 3 cours.
At this point, I don't imagine a remake any day soon but if one day it happens, I just hope they learn from all the mistakes of this lame adaptation.

Oh, no no no no. Forgive me for disagreeing but I personally think that Tokyo Ghoul was just a mess. I knew as I was watching the first season they would have wanted to make it to the Jason scene. I wish they could have pulled a Shaft where it wouldn't have 12 but under 20 episodes. I wanted to say that :re season 1 was good but....ehhhh..... They did skip a lot of chapters too. Some that were pretty much making the anime-only watches confused. It had a LOT of potential but it didn't make it.

In the end, that's just what I think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3