• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tokyo Ghoul:re

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Er, personally I think continuing to refer to Karren as male is a bit disrespectful, given how clearly she's been wanting to live as a woman. spoiler[Mutsuki's] situation is more ambiguous and we're not totally sure where they're headed, but I think Karren's deal is quite obvious.

Karren is someone who feels bound and trapped by her loyalty to family, both old and new, and these obligations restrict her from living how she wants to. Her wants, her desires and even her very identity, both gender and name (Kanae is actually taken from the initials of her and her family, Karren, Nathaniel, Arnold, and Emma) she feels is secondary to those she must serve and honor. She even mentions quite earlier into the series that, even above her hatred of Sasaki for taking Shu's attention, her devotion to others is her most loathed trait of hers. Obviously it wasn't just referring to her loyalty to the Tsukiyama family and Shu.

I certainly agree that it could've been better timed as opposed to just being a 2-3 minute long flashback in the middle of the season's climax, but I really don't think it was just shock value because it really makes her character quite a bit more interesting than it was previously. A lot of people would've just said she was another Shu, although I would've said she felt pretty distinct from him even before that point.

Also I should mention that "flashback" with Arima is a little more ambiguous in the manga. We're not totally sure if it's really a flashback or if it's a hallucination brought on by stress and a possible repressed fear of Arima.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:33 pm Reply with quote
This anime is screwing up so much...People say "they can't adapt everything" but come on, couldn't they show the panel from the manga where Kaneki slightly looks back at Karren before throwing Shu out of the building? In the anime it's like he's on fudge all mode. <.<

Also, that last scene...dafuq? In the manga, they had the perfect stopping point, a single scene, that would be just right to end the cour(it would also show some insight into Kaneki's new "state"), it would only take 25/30 second at most, but nope, let's just show something from way* down the line. Like, come one, if you look at Ken's body in preview of sorts, he's even much buffer and that doesn't happen overnight, even to Ghouls... Neutral
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
That final scene with Arima and Kaneki isn't supposed to happen for another 30 chapters, which, combined with the PV image for the second season, has me dreading the possibility that they'll skip at least an entire arc just to get to the climax of the story. *God*, please let it just be a tool to hype up viewers for later story developments.

Agreed on Karren's story really needing more time to develop, but I take solace in the fact that she did die happy, which is way more than most Tokyo Ghoul characters get.

Overall, this was...mm. Bland direction and at times quite lackluster animation rarely gave re: the punch that it deserved. The impact these chapters in the manga had were really *felt*, and it had everyone absolutely pumped and excited. I would post a few pages from the manga for some comparisons to show what the anime seriously lacked, but I'm pretty certain all that exists right now for the re: manga at this stage are low quality scans.

I'm satisfied with what we did get, which was good, but it could've been so much more with the proper staff. Let's just hope the second season doesn't dash away any good will i had.

I also can't stress enough that this *isn't* following Root A. I understand that, having not read the manga, you kind of have to force yourself to connect re: to Root A, but when S2 comes along, it'll *really* start pretending that season never happened.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
This anime is screwing up so much...People say "they can't adapt everything" but come on, couldn't they show the panel from the manga where Kaneki slightly looks back at Karren before throwing Shu out of the building? In the anime it's like he's on fudge all mode. <.<

Also, that last scene...dafuq? In the manga, they had the perfect stopping point, a single scene, that would be just right to end the cour(it would also show some insight into Kaneki's new "state"), it would only take 25/30 second at most, but nope, let's just show something from way* down the line. Like, come one, if you look at Ken's body in preview of sorts, he's even much buffer and that doesn't happen overnight, even to Ghouls... Neutral

... yeah like I'm all for anime adapting and changing things around because what would make sense in a novel or manga would seem strange in anime but skipping the seconds or even one second where Kaneki glances at Karren changes the scene drastically.
PLUS they even cut out the audio of the scene where Shuu is rescued.
Putting this in a spoiler tag since its technically a spoiler cause the anime screwed it up but spoiler[in addition to the panel where kaneki glances at Karren before kaneki throws shuu off the building when he's rescued by his friends Hiori tells him that if kaneki wanted to kill him he'd be dead. At that point its a fact that kaneki spared him intentionally]

Yeah the last scene was idiotic. I assume you're talking about the spoiler[scene where kaneki becomes known as the 'black reaper' (not to be confused with arima who becomes renamed as the 'white reaper') and he's seen mercilessly exterminating ghouls]
In that case i agree that would have been the perfect way to end the season, it'd work far better as an epilogue and that scene of him fighting arima could be used as a trailer instead, maybe even an opening prologue for the next season(although i think that would still be an ineffective use of the scene).
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
On the rushed pacing of the Ghoul anime, this blogger points that Ghoul's publisher, Shueisha, are the ones to truly blame for this. They claim it's a calculated cash grab on their side, to promote Ghoul's manga sales at the least cost (especially since the manga has already wrapped up).

https://randomc.net/2018/06/20/tokyo-ghoulre-12-end/

Quote:
But before we all turn on Studio Pierrot...I just want to point out that they have little input over pacing. They do other work pretty fantastically without an issue – Akatsuki no Yona, Osomatsu, Baby Steps. (Shueisha is the) other common denominator behind these poorly paced adaptations...When Shueisha asks you to adapt 60 chapters in the space of 12 episodes (and 120 chapters into 12 eps for this season), you do as you are told, because they own the intellectual property and have far more leverage in negotiations.

And it’s pretty obvious when you look at it from their perspective as publishers. It’s exorbitantly expensive to fund anime production, so why produce 6 seasons and suffer a loss, when you can turn a profit by cramming everything into 3 seasons? Not to mention if the anime does too well, that could potentially eat away at manga sales, where people opt to purchase the anime over the manga, turning the anime into a competitive source of revenue. This business model of Shueisha’s becomes very apparent, when you look at how they go about Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc. However, Pierrot and Toei are always made into convenient scapegoats, where people fail to look beyond what lies on the surface.

Also, Shueisha's leverage over the anime creative team would explain ex-director Morita Shuhei leaving Ghoul's direction after Root A; in a Reddit AMA Morita cited higher up creative interference got in the way of him trying to do justice to Root A.
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/88fddm/im_shuhei_morita_the_director_of_anime_series/dwkcx3d/
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Anime adaptation issues aside, Ghoul's source manga readers had also noticed a gradual decline in the manga quality towards the end – messier incomprehensible art, rushed storytelling, open-ended plot points etc.

Ishida Sui later admitted in his final volume afterwords that he was burnt out and tired from working nonstop on Tokyo Ghoul for 7 years straight. http://kenkamishiro.tumblr.com/post/176025577667/ishidas-afterword-part-1

Quote:
I’m finally living a life where I haven’t had a deadline looming over me for the first time in 7 years…should I say it feels…liberating? Tokyo Ghoul has been something that was intimately intertwined with my life,… dominated my time and emotions,…changed my relationships with other people…oftentimes there was more bad than good. Because of this, I felt like I was finally being released from a cage after being trapped in it for so long.

As to why he just didn't go on hiatus to refresh himself, he claims:

Quote:
I felt that if I took a break I wouldn’t be able to bring myself to draw again, so I refused to give myself a break. From the original volume 7 onwards,…I took on impossible amounts of work to try to push myself. I cast away all sorts of things from my life, and poured all of my time into work…I (even)lost my sense of taste.

His decision seems to have been made under the influence of depression and personal issues regarding his status within his family and Japanese society; some which go back to his youth: http://kenkamishiro.tumblr.com/post/176029985922/ishidas-afterword-part-3

Quote:
…to me manga has always been by my side as a huge obstacle…(S)ome readers (may be) disappointed by this, but I haven’t thought of drawing Tokyo Ghoul itself as fun. I hate working…(but) it was necessary (in order for me to have a job).

Ishida was never studious growing up; mostly doing it to please his strict family. He spent his technical school days playing games in his dorm; and so failed most of his classes and lacked the academic qualifications that would allow him to get official employment. His parents gave him a lot of crap over his joblessness, so he became a mangaka since “it allow(s) me to choose a path other than finding employment.”

I think his psychological issues (not withstanding editorial ones) was a big driver in him going hard on himself; that he’d be seen as a Failure if he failed to fully commit to what he started.

I personally find the afterwords compelling, especially Ishida’s willingness to lay himself bare for his readers and fans.
By Japanese standards more reservation would be applied when talking about yourself; but Ishida admitted he’s always seen himself as an outsider. http://kenkamishiro.tumblr.com/post/177230432547/ishida-suis-interview-with-yomiuri-shimbun-full
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
I've heard of fast pacing, but this is blink-and-you'll-miss-it pacing.

Obviously we do see in the manga, Urie has seemingly regressed, Saiko is more devoted to her job, and there's a *ton* of shit going on with Mutsuki, but I guess Kaneki's story is all that matters. Making things more precise is all well and good, there were a number of people who had genuine problems with this arc because it was juggling two large battles and had *way* too many things going on, but with what this anime has been doing, all it's doing is making things feel more bloated and more confusing. And it seems that will be the norm this season.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:52 am Reply with quote
Even going into this season knowing that they'd be rushing, I still thought that opening would actually be a flash forward since it was really jarring to suddenly have an all-out war going on with no context for how that came about.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Anime adaptation issues aside, Ghoul's source manga readers had also noticed a gradual decline in the manga quality towards the end – messier incomprehensible art, rushed storytelling, open-ended plot points etc.

Ishida Sui later admitted in his final volume afterwords that he was burnt out and tired from working nonstop on Tokyo Ghoul for 7 years straight. http://kenkamishiro.tumblr.com/post/176025577667/ishidas-afterword-part-1

Never knew that. That certainly explains a lot.
Lafors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga only a few chapters so that being said, this pacing is so so fast like what the hell in 2 episodes like a thousand unanswered questions i had got answered, and at the same time it didn't had the impact or the emotion i wanted it to have or better deserved to have. By trying to finish fast they juggle too many characters,fights,flashbacks all at the same time without truly letting anything sink in, give a moment for it to truly breath. For example the fight with kaneki and arima could easily be a whole episode but no it was just there together with 100 more things going on at the same episode.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:50 am Reply with quote
Man, it's really sad to see how badly the quality of this has dropped since season 1. At this point I'm just hoping that in a decade some other studio will reboot it...
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote
They were only in a few scenes, so I'm not surprised you don't remember, but Kurona and her sister did appear in Root A, most prominently during the Cochlea series of episodes. They and Juzo, who were former classmates, get into a little scuffle, and Juzo very nearly kills her sister. Amon, their instructor, briefly run into them, and that's the last we see of them until now.

I don't blame you for getting lost, Rushima was a bit of a chaotic mess even in the manga, but it's unsurprising the anime is even worse when it has already made clear it's concerned with getting through everything as fast as possible, regardless of whether you can keep up or not.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
As someone who's never read the manga, this has to be one of the most incoherent shows I have ever watched.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Don't expect the anime to explain anything about Mutsuki, when the anime has kind of already skipped some of the biggest reveals with her character. You're setting yourself up for disappointment there. If they're just glossing over her development, I'm frankly not sure why they even bothered paying any attention to Urie's character arc.

And Furuta's motives at this point were mostly a mystery, but we got hints and pieces up to this point in the manga, like him being an unloved bastard child and having a really, outrageously shitty sense of entitlement who's in it for himself and no one else, with any alliances he has (including the clowns) merely being a means to an end. Plus a relationship with Rize that's gone totally unmentioned as well. Rize in general is actually a pretty big piece of the puzzle, but you would never think that by watching this.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Don't expect the anime to explain anything about Mutsuki, when the anime has kind of already skipped some of the biggest reveals with her character. You're setting yourself up for disappointment there. If they're just glossing over her development, I'm frankly not sure why they even bothered paying any attention to Urie's character arc.

And Furuta's motives at this point were mostly a mystery, but we got hints and pieces up to this point in the manga, like him being an unloved bastard child and having a really, outrageously shitty sense of entitlement who's in it for himself and no one else, with any alliances he has (including the clowns) merely being a means to an end. Plus a relationship with Rize that's gone totally unmentioned as well. Rize in general is actually a pretty big piece of the puzzle, but you would never think that by watching this.

Oh right, the spoiler[Mutsuki's always been a psycho thing where Juuzou got framed for his animal-torturing.]

As for Furuta, his motives thus far are spoiler[making 101 babies with Rize, which he accomplished as of this episode] and of course, SUPER PEACE.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3