• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magical Girl Ore

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treeofjessie

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
ugh, i'm sorry in advance that i'm about to be that obnoxious person, but,

Quote:
Before there were magical girls, there was Kamen Rider.

himitsu no akkochan actually predates kamen rider by nearly a decade Embarassed

i haven't watched the ep yet, so i'm not sure if the episode itself implies this, or this was something that came from Lauren, but if it was implied by the show itself... woof, that's a real problem of not knowing your own history, huh? yikes.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
With that blush at the end my hopes for a Yuri ending went up.
Toonces

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If Magical Girl Ore were a short, with episodes anywhere from 3 to 12 minutes, I think I'd be enjoying it a lot more than I am now.

Come to think of it, I actually do think 12-15 minute episodes would be better for this. Just about every episode has felt like it's got a bit of padding. That's not even taking into account how episode 5 felt totally unnecessary (and unfunny, but ymmv).
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed the most recent episode more than anything else in the show. It had some pretty funny gags towards the end, and the sequence involving the titular magical girl(s) had some good slapstick comedy. I especially enjoyed how the little girl who gave Saki fake poop (yeah, it makes sense in context) ended up beating the snot out of the monsters as well, plus the censored Disneyland reference.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
we get nowhere further in progressing the story.

Well, not nowhere. I mean, Saki has finally, nearly, almost realized who's behind the muscle aliens, so that's a half step forward. I had feared they would leave all that to the final episode and dump it all at once.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
By the way, I just noticed that his voice actor, Showtaro Morikubo, has voiced idols in Uta no Prince Sama, Ensemble Stars!, and more, so his heartless take on showbiz has a metatextual element for those in the know.

This might be slightly off topic, but I love Showtaro Morikubo and I am SO glad you called out his idol works! (Also STARMYU and B-PROJECT...just gotta throw those in there.) And if you happen to be playing the Utapri app on your phone or tablet, I highly recommend checking out his song on there, "Never"...I've been playing it a LOT since it came out as a special campaign song and it only has one day left (NOOOO!!!!!!!!). LOVE that song so much...his voice is adorable. Embarassed

And to keep this post in topic and not a complete derailment, I thought this weeks monster was great, and I loved the 4-way magical girl attack. ...and I won't lie, I nearly spat sake all over my keyboard when Happy popped up as a head with wings...that was funny as hell to me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
Ugh, that episode was pretty awful. All I have to add to the review is that if you're going to need to keep talking about "magical girl scouts" (and the way this is shaping up, that doesn't seem unlikely), it might be a good idea to hyphenate magical girl, because I keep picturing Girl Scouts with magic powers. Smile

Then again, I might not be around for more. It took me 5 days to work up the mood to watch this week, and this one might've broken me.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ryoue

The moment reviewers start getting characters' names wrong, any credibility they may have had goes right out the door.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The existence of Saki's dad, who has never even been mentioned, raises some interesting questions, chief among them just who Cyborg Fujimoto is under that mask.

Doh! That went right over my head. Very Happy Anyway, yes, they redeemed themselves after last week's mess, so I guess I'll stick it out to the end now. Mohiro's Disney Princess turn was pretty great.

How has Kokoro never run into Hyoue until now? Both of them always seem to be around when Mohiro is being attacked, so I didn't realize they'd been missing each other.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
The existence of Saki's dad, who has never even been mentioned, raises some interesting questions, chief among them just who Cyborg Fujimoto is under that mask.

Doh! That went right over my head. Very Happy Anyway, yes, they redeemed themselves after last week's mess, so I guess I'll stick it out to the end now. Mohiro's Disney Princess turn was pretty great.

How has Kokoro never run into Hyoue until now? Both of them always seem to be around when Mohiro is being attacked, so I didn't realize they'd been missing each other.

If you recall whenever the 'demons' pop up Hyoue is suspiciously absent, then they call in kokoro.
At least thats what i think happened, to be honest I didn't really think too much about it till now
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed that episode, especially the shitty animation. Like "arty" half-portrait framing of a still shot that just looked stupid, the crude tilts and pans, and things like Hyoue smirking in a medium shot, only to smash cut to him sadly frowning in closeup, and changing the art style every key frame when the girls are charging toward the portal.

But this was my favorite shot:

There were just a lot of quick little jokes that had me laughing in the same way this got me to watch it in the first place. That's been missing for too long, so I hope they keep it up to the end now.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Review ain't out yet, so I won't talk much. But can I just ask...am I right that that was Kisho Taniyama with Showtaro Morikubo singing during that last boss fight? That song was awesome and I want it. NAO.

Anyways I didn't always love Magical Girl Ore, but it always made me laugh at least once an episode. I'll miss you next week Ore...you were welcome each week with me.
Coco-girl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
I will forever love this show!
Mhora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
From the decent animation, voice work and premise, this was fine. It should have been more over-the-top. Played it pretty safe all the way to the end.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to Japanese parodies, I always expect them to play their plots by the book of their genre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3