• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My-Otome Complete Series BD/DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarFan13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:13 am Reply with quote
Wait wasn't it Released back on January 9th
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote
My Otome isn't just the least of the two series, it barely scrapes by as an average rating by itself which is very an important distinction; If the most you can say about a sequel/reboot is "the most interesting parts about it are how it changes the first installment" then it hardly does its job of standing on its own. .. Why am I suddenly thinking of the Last Jedi?

I've seen the series multiple times and it took my until the most recent viewing, one straight after My Hime, to figure out the most bothersome thing about Otome: nothing substantial happens for the majority of the series. It's not boring but it is dramatically lacking where the first series got the audience's attention right from the start with a series of questions of "what's going on?", "What does it all mean?" and "who's really in charge here?" which it only proceeded to deepen with each plot and character twist.

My Otome answers all of that with: Otome, Otome and Otome. There doesn't have to be a grand conspiracy like the first series but there should be higher stakes of whether Arika becomes an Otome or not.

Also, I think of Haruka as comedy relief in the first series and what happens with her is the classic "shoo out the clowns" trope. Here, she's more of a straight hero, even something of a role model for Arika.... which they don't do anything with because it's My Otome.
tootbrush

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
I liked this one more than HiME, mainly because it's a more coherent show, like it actually went through a proper pre-production phase. It tells one story with great character development, there's no questionable tonal shift in the middle and the ending fits the rest of the series. The setting is really well thought-out, rich for more stories and the anime spends a decent amount of time building it. Plus, I find the connections to HiME (which become more obvious in S.ifr) really interesting.

As much as I liked Xenoglossia and SoraKake, I still think it's a damn shame Sunrise abandoned the Otome setting.
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
I prefer the My Otome manga with its twist of turning Mashiro into a boy. Gender-bender fan-servicy silliness.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
upscale works fine throught software so i doubt i'll get this but i really enjoyed this show. my enjoyment did require watching the original show to catch everything but i still had fun and overall really love the franchise. it distracted me from really annoying things
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
A one phrase clarification that Yuki Kajiura did not compose the opening and ending themes would explain the music more without going into full detail.

Recommended for those wanting to hear live versions of some songs:
FictionJunction 2008-2010 The BEST of Yuki Kajiura LIVE.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation's release comes in a Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack, with each version spread across three discs. Also included are nine subtitled-only omake ranging from 2½ to almost 6 minutes in length.
They are offered in one cluster on the final disc in both versions, which wouldn't normally matter but it becomes a detriment in this case, since most are tied to specific events in the series and work best when watched with the episodes they reference.

Wait, so Funimation's embracing bootleg-level 9/9/8 episode counts on DVDs now? Though I guess that's still better than Sony's $25 "3-pack of 1-cour late-00s anime nobody cared about" release on a mere 3 discs.

I recently watched this series for the 3rd time via the Bandai release, and I agree that the omakes are more effective when spread out on 7 discs and combined with the relevant episodes. Particularly the one with Kazuto and Akane's "After Story" incident, as a later episode picks up where that omake leaves off.

While the world-building and scope of My-Otome are definitely more ambitious than its predecessor, it does tread into "Too Many Countries, Too Many Characters" territory. Mashiro's story arc is indeed the most striking, particularly some incidents around eps 18-19.

According to Hissatsu01 and others, the BD upscales for this series and My-Hime are actually quite good, inasmuch as they made use of Blu-Ray's higher bitrates and other advantages, without trying to mess with or "enhance" the source material too much. I think I'll stick with the old Bandai releases and their fabulous space-hogging diorama boxes, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1