• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Some Series Have Long Gaps Between Seasons?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
What about NHK anime (Bakuman, Major, Rinne, Log Horizon, etc)? Those air during the day (often on Saturdays, with occasional evening or late-night reruns). Since those are on public television, wouldn't they follow a third model?
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
What about NHK anime (Bakuman, Major, Rinne, Log Horizon, etc)? Those air during the day (often on Saturdays, with occasional evening or late-night reruns). Since those are on public television, wouldn't they follow a third model?

Well, many of the long running anime also dont air in the weekend and in the morning or primetime(look at boruto, and previously Naruto) and many of the short running also dont run in what you can say late-night, but afternoon/evening, and some even morning.

NHK is normally a little different channel, the perks of being a Government station, buy it isnt that much different to the norm, I think, to call it a different model.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I am very grateful that there are breaks in between seasons of My Hero Academia. Each season has had strong production values, and season 2 was particularly well written. I wish more anime adaptations of long running manga could take a similar approach. And having a great studio, like Bones, behind helps a lot.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I am much more satisfied with anime that operate on an intermittent schedule rather than a continuous schedule.

I understand that One Piece is a phenomenon, but there are some episodes that are 22 minutes long and only 10 minutes of it is new content. I would rather watch One Piece on an intermittent schedule so that the animation team doesn't depend on 12 minutes of introduction, outro, and recap to fluff the episode's content.

I have enjoyed the schedule that My Hero Academia is produced on, and I hope they don't intend to speed it up.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
"Everybody's happy, and as long as the sponsorship money holds (i.e. the toys and stuff keep selling), the show continues."

I'm not. I'm not happy about what has become of One Piece (the anime). The pacing has gone to heck. The anime is too close to the manga, and the manga doesn't go at a very fast pace. I understand that the guys on the money side are pleased as punch, but people like me, who enjoy a good story, the pacing has become so bad that I can't bear to watch it anymore, despite owning several seasons of the show.
Vizo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
This actually explains a lot. I was wondering why there has been a decline in filler with the newer anime I choose to watch. No complaints there.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I am much more satisfied with anime that operate on an intermittent schedule rather than a continuous schedule.

I understand that One Piece is a phenomenon, but there are some episodes that are 22 minutes long and only 10 minutes of it is new content. I would rather watch One Piece on an intermittent schedule so that the animation team doesn't depend on 12 minutes of introduction, outro, and recap to fluff the episode's content.

I have enjoyed the schedule that My Hero Academia is produced on, and I hope they don't intend to speed it up.

Again, there is no such thing as intermittent forever(or until it end). Or you get continuous or you get intermittent for a little of time. Hell, not even continuous guarantees you get an adaptation until the end.
People love to dream, that their wishes are possible, but they usually dream with fantasies that will never happen and that were never possible to happen.

there is no 12 minutes of introduction, never were and never will be. The longer One Piece introduction was around 7 minutes(and yes I'm including everything until the episode new content starts).

How many seasons do you thing My Hero Academia will get? It is already in its 3rd one and the manga already has material for a 4th and a 5th(and maybe a part of a 6th) and the series is still continuing. Do you know how many anime had more than 3 seasons? And how many more seasons they had? And how much more popular than My Hero Academia they were/are?

Major is the anime with more seasons and has 6 seasons(You have Tekkyuu!! with episodes of 5 minutes that has 8 seasons), also is important to note that between seasons Major only stopped for 6 months.

If My Hero Academia can do such a thing as Major, is better that you hope the series is a short one and the manga is near ending. Or you can very well expect to conclude the anime and only have the manga running.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
"Everybody's happy, and as long as the sponsorship money holds (i.e. the toys and stuff keep selling), the show continues."

I'm not. I'm not happy about what has become of One Piece (the anime). The pacing has gone to heck. The anime is too close to the manga, and the manga doesn't go at a very fast pace. I understand that the guys on the money side are pleased as punch, but people like me, who enjoy a good story, the pacing has become so bad that I can't bear to watch it anymore, despite owning several seasons of the show.

But you understand that guys in the money side only receive money from guys like you right?
So the reason One Piece is still selling and the TV series is still be watched a lot, is because people like you are happy.
Please don't assume you are the "people" nor an important representation of the many people included in there.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:14 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Do you know how many anime had more than 3 seasons? And how many more seasons they had? And how much more popular than My Hero Academia they were/are?

Major is the anime with more seasons and has 6 seasons(You have Tekkyuu!! with episodes of 5 minutes that has 8 seasons), also is important to note that between seasons Major only stopped for 6 months.

I'd say Ace of Diamond is almost on par with Major, with only 28 episodes fewer and no stoppages during its two "season" run (75 and 51 episodes, roughly 9-10 cour) over 3 years. They only stopped because they ran up against where the manga was. Hopefully whenever the manga wraps, they'll finish up the anime series too.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
But you understand that guys in the money side only receive money from guys like you right?
So the reason One Piece is still selling and the TV series is still be watched a lot, is because people like you are happy.
Please don't assume you are the "people" nor an important representation of the many people included in there.

Yes, they received money from guys like me because they made me happy. I had no qualms purchasing several hundred episodes from them... back when the plot moved along at a healthy clip.

Once the plot stopped moving at a reasonable pace, I stopped being happy. Once I stopped being happy, I stopped buying their product. Once I stopped buying their product, the guys on the money side of things stopped making money off of me.

And I *never* assumed I was an "important representation" of anyone. You said that, not me.

Honestly, I think the series is on the decline. I doubt that their viewership or their anime sales are increasing these days, and I'm certainly not alone in criticizing the issues with pacing -- others have done it on this very thread.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:56 am Reply with quote
[quote="bigivel"]
vanfanel wrote:

Well, many of the long running anime also dont air in the weekend and in the morning or primetime(look at boruto, and previously Naruto) and many of the short running also dont run in what you can say late-night, but afternoon/evening, and some even morning.
/quote]

Actively false.

Pretty Cure has been running at 8:30AM since February 2004 on Sundays. Future Card Buddyfight has been airing on Saturdays 8:00AM for a number of years now. Card Fight Vanguard was also on Saturday and Sunday weekends during the morning hours for a long time. Same with Duel Masters.

Disney Time, while not anime, has aired a lot of Disney content, such as their TV shows, on TV Tokyo during two of the Weekday mornings for a number of years, before returning after a hiatus on 7:30AM Sundays, which it continues to have this slot.

Not to mention, Japanese Folk Tales was airing at 9AM on Sundays for the longest time and was probably one of the longer shows to stream on Crunchyroll.

Yu-Gi-Oh! reruns have also made it a staple to rerun the older stuff at 7:30AM on Saturdays.

A large percentage of this is just TV Tokyo alone. But other networks have dabbled in long runners on weekend mornings before over the years. TV Asahi for instance, used to have Battle Spirits running at 7AM on Sundays for the longest, before Sunrise switched networks to TV Tokyo and started putting new projects on that old slot. Not to mention, there's some other projects that don't get brought up that NHK runs during the morning hours, and still does to this day. Fuji TV also runs one of their children shows at 4:55AM on Sundays (god knows why, but they do) and it's been running for quite some time now. Chuggington also airs during the morning hours too on Fuji TV and it's dubbed content.

Now, a lot of the above? Obvious children shows. But at the same time, most popular shonen targets similar audiences, even if it's only just slightly older.

Regardless, still... There's plenty of long runners in the morning hours of the weekend. Some are anime. Some are licensed content. Couple are reruns. Still, they all count.
bigivel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:08 am Reply with quote
[quote="ChibiGoku"]
bigivel wrote:
vanfanel wrote:

/quote]

Actively false.

Pretty Cure has been running at 8:30AM since February 2004 on Sundays. Future Card Buddyfight has been airing on Saturdays 8:00AM for a number of years now. Card Fight Vanguard was also on Saturday and Sunday weekends during the morning hours for a long time. Same with Duel Masters.

Disney Time, while not anime, has aired a lot of Disney content, such as their TV shows, on TV Tokyo during two of the Weekday mornings for a number of years, before returning after a hiatus on 7:30AM Sundays, which it continues to have this slot.

Not to mention, Japanese Folk Tales was airing at 9AM on Sundays for the longest time and was probably one of the longer shows to stream on Crunchyroll.

Yu-Gi-Oh! reruns have also made it a staple to rerun the older stuff at 7:30AM on Saturdays.

A large percentage of this is just TV Tokyo alone. But other networks have dabbled in long runners on weekend mornings before over the years. TV Asahi for instance, used to have Battle Spirits running at 7AM on Sundays for the longest, before Sunrise switched networks to TV Tokyo and started putting new projects on that old slot. Not to mention, there's some other projects that don't get brought up that NHK runs during the morning hours, and still does to this day. Fuji TV also runs one of their children shows at 4:55AM on Sundays (god knows why, but they do) and it's been running for quite some time now. Chuggington also airs during the morning hours too on Fuji TV and it's dubbed content.

Now, a lot of the above? Obvious children shows. But at the same time, most popular shonen targets similar audiences, even if it's only just slightly older.

Regardless, still... There's plenty of long runners in the morning hours of the weekend. Some are anime. Some are licensed content. Couple are reruns. Still, they all count.

"many" just mean many, doesnt mean "most". Yes there are many long running weekend morning, but there is also many during the week, and in the afternoon/evening. TV Tokyo as a full week anime programming, where most are long running.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:09 am Reply with quote
I can see how this works for shows with one or two cours. But what about long-running shows like Fairy Tail and Gintama that run for 50-100+ episodes and then take hiatuses for years? It's not a common practice from what I'm seeing, but it intrigues me nonetheless. Is there more to it than "they simply ran out of manga to adapt"?
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:06 am Reply with quote
Also keep in mind a single episode of One Piece only has like 18 minutes of new animation....

At some point I wonder if they aren't re-using audio for things like "Gomu gomu no..... *insert attack here*!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2