• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Ep 7,

I'd say the most common element of all the victories in this series so far is that all the higher ranking officers in charge are incompetent/cowards.

The only reason the infiltration plan worked was because the
a. the garrison commander fell for obvious bait because "I'm a manly man and will never turn down a challenge"
b. The station commander didn't bother to properly investigate the infiltrators
c. didn't think to handcuff them or have them properly secured by guards (they can still talk even if restrained)
d. wasn't willing to give up his own life for his cause. This actually goes for the rest of the security team as well, any one of them could have triggered the gas and killed everyone which would have ended the infiltration.

That and the fact that the the garrison commander, who just fell for one bait tactic, immediately falls for another one and then does the exact opposite of the station commander, and would rather sacrifice his entire fleet than return in disgrace, even if that would mean sparing more manpower/ships for future battles.

Most of the other battles mentioned previously usually involved incompetent commanders as well. I do get that is a running theme in this series but I do hope it isn't constantly used. It kind of cheapens the victories of the main characters if they keep on winning primarily because their opponents suck.

I did love the fact that the monotone subordinate just bailed on his commander, I actually cracked up when I saw him leaving. I also thought the pen was going to be some hidden weapon or something, I didn't expect it to be just a pen.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
These last two episodes were definitely better adaptations than some of the earlier episodes. They cover the most important and interesting details from the novels, adapt where appropriate (e.g. showing not telling, expanded scenes that work well), and improve upon some of the source material’s weak points (though not as much as the OVA series did imho). Nicely done.

#844391: Not that there mightn’t be faults to find in future, but at this point Yang and Reinhard have both been put in charge of massive parts of their respective navies, so if we assume Yang doesn’t retire and disappear from the series, the upstarts-vs-old-guard dynamic should be on the way out.
Dene323

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 7,

I'd say the most common element of all the victories in this series so far is that all the higher ranking officers in charge are incompetent/cowards.

The only reason the infiltration plan worked was because the
a. the garrison commander fell for obvious bait because "I'm a manly man and will never turn down a challenge"
b. The station commander didn't bother to properly investigate the infiltrators
c. didn't think to handcuff them or have them properly secured by guards (they can still talk even if restrained)
d. wasn't willing to give up his own life for his cause. This actually goes for the rest of the security team as well, any one of them could have triggered the gas and killed everyone which would have ended the infiltration.

That and the fact that the the garrison commander, who just fell for one bait tactic, immediately falls for another one and then does the exact opposite of the station commander, and would rather sacrifice his entire fleet than return in disgrace, even if that would mean sparing more manpower/ships for future battles.

Most of the other battles mentioned previously usually involved incompetent commanders as well. I do get that is a running theme in this series but I do hope it isn't constantly used. It kind of cheapens the victories of the main characters if they keep on winning primarily because their opponents suck.

I did love the fact that the monotone subordinate just bailed on his commander, I actually cracked up when I saw him leaving. I also thought the pen was going to be some hidden weapon or something, I didn't expect it to be just a pen.

LotGH needs sometime to weed out the incompetent old guards on both sides in the early stage (an entrenched and corrupted noble class on the imperial side and a highly politicized and rigidly nationalistic military class on the FPA side have been about evenly matched in this protracted war, while more competent officers are often kept in ranks below their worth). Reinhard and Yang are basically helping each other eliminating rivals and advancing career at this stage. Thankfully these old guards tend to have a short shelf live in this series. When Reinhard and Yang finally have their own teams in order, it becomes far more interesting.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
#867382 wrote:
boring show like most show like this after 3 eps will not watch anymore.

that's disappointing. cause if this series follows the light novels which was the ovas were based off of, the series really gets interesting.

sure when it comes to military drama series like this, its definitely inferior to like crest of the stars series and aldermain of the sky, but it might surprise you.

now if this series isnt faithful towards the novels, then by all means!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8,

I actually started laughing when that rebelling noble kept punching his subordinates whenever he said something. "I'm the expendable bad guy for this episode, I'll make sure all the viewers know that by hitting random officers and making bad decisions all the time. After all, I'm only going to be alive for about 3 minutes before a main character kills me off to level up."

And how did Siegfried manage to literally fly his flag ship (the shiny unique red one which basically has a sign on it saying "shoot me, I'm important") right in front of the enemy flag ship with pretty much no one shooting him down? I call bullshit on this being some kind of brilliant strategy. The primary target of the rebelling fleet should have been his ship the entire time, they already showed last episode that it's possible to pick out the enemy flag ship pretty quickly.

Once again, my biggest complaint is that the "genius leaders" in this series don't win because they are any good, they win because their opponents are completely useless. And we're already like 2/3's of the way through the season. I do realize this is the beginning to a much larger saga but as far as I can tell this is a standard 12 episode season and it feels like the main two characters aren't going to get any close to butting heads than they did in the opening episodes. Although if this is meant to be multiple seasons then that's fine.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote
I haven’t seen the episode yet, but the two examples you give sound to be unique to this adaptation.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:34 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 8,

I actually started laughing when that rebelling noble kept punching his subordinates whenever he said something. "I'm the expendable bad guy for this episode, I'll make sure all the viewers know that by hitting random officers and making bad decisions all the time. After all, I'm only going to be alive for about 3 minutes before a main character kills me off to level up."

And how did Siegfried manage to literally fly his flag ship (the shiny unique red one which basically has a sign on it saying "shoot me, I'm important") right in front of the enemy flag ship with pretty much no one shooting him down? I call bullshit on this being some kind of brilliant strategy. The primary target of the rebelling fleet should have been his ship the entire time, they already showed last episode that it's possible to pick out the enemy flag ship pretty quickly.

Just saw the episode. The strategy and many of the details in the first half of the episode are entirely original to this series. I had trouble understanding what the strategy was even supposed to be, and the characters’ motivations seemed a bit shallow also.

In the original Maximillion has a stereotypical-bad-guy vibe and is supposed to be immature, violent and naive due to a sheltered upbringing in a remote region where his family wielded largely unrestricted power. This is why he thinks he can stand up to the Empire and force them into accepting his region as an autonomous fiefdom. (He’s also kind of paranoid and thinks the Empire intend to kill or imprison him when in actual fact they only want to rob him in retaliation for his father taking his tax evasion too far.) No random punchings, though, and he turns out to have a natural talent for tactics which leads to an initial win when the Empire underestimates him. This leads to him laying siege to a nearby planet.

As in the anime, Lohengramm arranges for Kircheis to get the order to put down the rebellion so he can bolster his individual reputation and provide a justification for promotion. The similarity largely ends there. Kircheis makes a big show of coming to the aid of the besieged planet, then turns sharply and heads towards the enemy homeland. Maximillion’s forces rush toward their home planet via a predictable route, but Kircheis’ main force had actually concealed themselves in an asteroid belt and launch an attack on the enemy’s rear as they pass. Once it becomes clear that they’re going to lose, some of Maximillion’s subordinates murder him in hopes that it’ll earn them leniency from the Empire.

The second half of the episode is largely word-for-word from the book, though unavoidably skipping various things. One thing they didn’t get across well were some of the emotions in the Oberstein meeting. It’s not necessarily clear just how shocking Oberstein’s statements are and how much tension they create (since it could easily be a trap), but more importantly Oberstein is supposed to show uncharacteristic emotions of anger, disappointment and disgust when Reinhard orders his arrest. Reinhard believing that emotion to be genuine is the main reason he decides to accept him at the risk of total ruin.

A couple of minor skipped details are: Reinhard had already been trying for some time to find a subordinate to help him with political maneuvering/scheming, which Kircheis isn’t well suited for. Refusing the offered appointments from the Emperor isn’t just to rescue Oberstein, but also because his current position in the military is actually more suited to his purposes. Reinhard also believes the positions will be his for the taking if he wants one of them later.

Last edited by Sven Viking on Wed May 23, 2018 2:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
that makes a lot more sense. Since I have zero familiarity with any of the previous material of this series I have to take the anime as it's shown with out any context.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Oberstein's pitch to Reinhard is one of my favorite scenes in LoGH, and they handled it just as well in this episode as the OVA did. I love how Reinhard tests his resolve. The voice acting sold it well, too. Junichi Suwabe's Oberstein has grown on me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:16 am Reply with quote
"That's enough for today. Your hair looks fine now. You can go."
CookieBun

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
As a new watcher, I kind of wish the reviewer was a newcomer as well. I understand most viewers are old fans, but personally I haven't seen the old series and constantly referring to the old series as a measuring stick is just something I don't care about. And I would think old fans would have liked a fresh perspective on the story too, anyway.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Prior fans will understand why this character's introduction and Reinhard's reaction to him is such a big deal, but others won't be signaled as well about the implications for the long run.

This is a very odd criticism (as well as kind of spoilery for newcomers). When first watching the OVA viewers who hadn't read the novels had no way of knowing these implications either, nor did those who read the novels first. Basically you're faulting this series for not blatantly telegraphing everything that people who already know the whole story already know it portends. What series does that? No good ones.

That's why people rewatch things - to pick up nuances that were there all along but didn't leap out the first time around. And that's not a flaw in the storytelling.
Manami-san

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:31 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Prior fans will understand why this character's introduction and Reinhard's reaction to him is such a big deal, but others won't be signaled as well about the implications for the long run.

This is a very odd criticism (as well as kind of spoilery for newcomers). When first watching the OVA viewers who hadn't read the novels had no way of knowing these implications either, nor did those who read the novels first. Basically you're faulting this series for not blatantly telegraphing everything that people who already know the whole story already know it portends. What series does that? No good ones.

That's why people rewatch things - to pick up nuances that were there all along but didn't leap out the first time around. And that's not a flaw in the storytelling.

I also agree that this was a strange criticism, and one that could only be made by someone already very familiar with the material. How exactly can the show, especially in a series with dozens of named characters *already*, properly signal what Oberstein is going to do 20 or 80 episodes down the road?

DNT has done plenty to signal that Oberstein is an important character. He's featured prominently in the OP, for one, and infact he's got much more scenes and dialogue than any imperial character other than Reinhard or Kircheis themselves. He got like a 3rd of this episode just between himself and Reinhard. Plus, his voice (major points to Suwabe for his performance, I think people are really warming to him) and appearance is very distinctive. The new show has done more than enough to indicate he's going to be an important character in future, so I see little to complain about in this department.

I do also kinda wish this series had a new viewer reviewing it. For example on S;G0 ANN have someone who apparently hasn't read the VN, so it's interesting to see their perspective on it as the story unfolds, as someone like myself who already knows the full story.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting flashbacks of my childhood when I saw the phantom menace. Came expecting space battles, get political debates instead. I'm wondering if this series is going to end with the next major war just about to start,but we never actually see any of it.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
CookieBun wrote:
As a new watcher, I kind of wish the reviewer was a newcomer as well. I understand most viewers are old fans, but personally I haven't seen the old series and constantly referring to the old series as a measuring stick is just something I don't care about.

Same here. It's unfortunate that what the bulk of the comments are about as well. Oh, well. More anime site fish in the sea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5