• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lupin the Third: Part 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:40 am Reply with quote
soooo, like, everyone's cool with Jigen straight-up murdering a bunch of police?

I mean, I know the guys have always been rogues, but this particular incident seemed particularly brutal to me...
Generations

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:09 am Reply with quote
"There's only one person in the audience of your life: yourself. So what's the point if you don't care what happens in the story?"

Dang, I freaking LOVE that speech he gave to Jigen. Not only is it appropriate for their current predicament yet fourth wall-breaking, it's still a good outlook that's applicable to real life. And yes, Lupin, I DID hear the theme.

I also found Fujiko's speech pretty interesting and shows the contrast between Lupin and Fujiko. To Lupin, money isn't the end goal, and most of the time he doesn't even get to keep any rewards, except maybe a reminder of that particular adventure or just his memories of it. To him, the 'sexy adventure' is what drives him. To Fujiko, money has always been the endgame, and thus she has a ton of it but is still left wanting for more. The adventures are a bonus, but she won't do a job without a reward at the end. However, clearly she experience a catharsis hanging out with Lupin's 'reward optional' adventure lifestyle, and Fujiko clearly completes something in Lupin that other women haven't been able to do.

Another interesting thing to note about this episode is the hypocrisy of all involved. Ellon Musk over here clearly believes he's doing it for the greater good of the people by having information available to all, but he can't be bothered to give a damn about his own daughter right in front of him. The governments and the people didn't care about PeopleLog until their own dirty laundry was aired, and now suddenly they want to control it. Everyone was so into it because now they have access to other people's lives without their consent, but when their own dirty secrets are aired (and EVERYONE has one), suddenly it's a problem. Surprise surprise.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
HandofBobb wrote:
soooo, like, everyone's cool with Jigen straight-up murdering a bunch of police?

I mean, I know the guys have always been rogues, but this particular incident seemed particularly brutal to me...

Yep. Doesn't bother me one bit. We already know he was a hitman and if you watched Part 4 you'd probably notice that he killed people during his visit to the doctor to pick up some painkillers.

We aren't dealing with saints here. Lupin, Goemon and Jigen are all guilty of killing people during the course of the show, be it by gunfire, sword or automobile.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
HandofBobb wrote:

That kinda bothered me too, even though they've obviously killed people before. I mean the framing and the animation was all great, but there's no "he just wounded everybody" after you see him shoot a guy through the eye. Speaking of which, what is it with Part 5 and eyes? We had a whole lotta eyes gouged out in the first part too.

But the conversation after that was just brilliant. It's an old trope to have characters talk about how what they're doing isn't fiction, but the writers turned and polished that old chestnut into a dazzling jewel. "I can't wait to see what I'm gonna do next." Indeed.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:47 pm Reply with quote
HandofBobb wrote:

I mean, they’ve been brutally killing thugs and “bad guys” en-masse for the majority of this season...
But if you think that’s bad, definitely don’t watch the goemon’s blood spray movie, lol.

This final arc has been amazing. Part 5 may just end up being my favorite Lupin series of all time when all is said and done, dethroning part 1 even. I wasn’t sure if they’d be able to wrap everything up in these last four episodes but they’re doing a great job and the finale is looking to be amazing. The fabled return of Rebecca! I long ago gave up hope on that ever happening but I’m so happy they’re actually doing it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I think the difference is that most of the people they've killed were actively trying to kill them because those people were thugs and other assorted bad guys. This time it was just cops doing their job of transporting Lupin and Goemon, except for the one trigger happy bull that started all the shooting. Not that there wouldn't have been shooting eventually...

I'm really not a fan of real-life law enforcement these days, but in fiction the cops are supposed to still be good guys (even when they're trying to apprehend our guys) unless they're explicitly framed as bad cops who then deserve to be gunned down. So yeah, it's kind of jarring to see them kill relatively innocent people who would not otherwise be trying to kill them except in self-defense.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:58 am Reply with quote
You said it yourself, a shoot-out would have inevitably transpired anyway after the first cop shot to kill. Jigen’s retaliation at him caused the rest to move sights to kill. Not much else he could have done in that situation after that point. Also the situation itself was so tight that there’s really nothing else a *gunslinger* like Jigen could do to apprehend his partners but take out the people transporting them.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:38 am Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:
Surprised the reviewer didn't mention my favorite fan service this ep - spoiler[ the location of Lupin's current hideout.... REALLY great shouout.]

It's such a perfect shout-out because it's also one of the most logical solutions to the question of how Lupin dropped off the grid: spoiler[in the movie, Cagliostro is not only an obscure microstate, it seems to be decades behind the rest of Europe in technology. They might not even HAVE internet.]
Skydrop

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
It's not 100% sure he killed them, he might injure them since even Lupin has been got shot as well but didn't die. Also there has been more brutal things already happened in the past few episodes and in Part 1 & 2 as well (only Part 4 has been been too tame and chill aimed for PG-13 rating while Part 5 has almost everything that Lupin show should be).
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:48 am Reply with quote
Skydrop wrote:
It's not 100% sure he killed them, he might injure them since even Lupin has been got shot as well but didn't die. Also there has been more brutal things already happened in the past few episodes and in Part 1 & 2 as well (only Part 4 has been been too tame and chill aimed for PG-13 rating while Part 5 has almost everything that Lupin show should be).

Part 4 wasn't tame by many modern standards. It tackeld heavy drug usages and mafia/organized crime. Plenty of people died or were event tortured to near death status.
The only difference was how they animated the action. Not everything was as graphically depicted as say the time in Part 5 with Lupin kicking someone into an Iron Maiden and shutting the doors on them while showcasing the bloodflow.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote
So final episode.....
spoiler[Lupin rips off his own face to the surprise of Fujiko to show that the Lupin weve always known isn't his true appearance]

Other than canonising the continuity of the Red vs Blue film for the second time this season it kinda felt like something you might pull in a last ever episode and while it fit within the story of that particular episode it was a disservice to the wider Lupin III franchise.

I guess this episode also set up the game of name the cameo faces.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
so he says so by revealing his "secret": pulling off a mask of his face to seemingly reveal the same face underneath.

Given the expression of unadulterated shock on Fujiko's face and how long she remained frozen, it's hard for me to imagine he revealed the same face. That we didn't see him put it back on doesn't convince me otherwise, since Lupin seems to be able to whip a mask on in a flash when he needs to.
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Albert says "They'd be better off with me running the show than with leaders who change every time there's an election"- I took that to mean he'd be running everything behind the scenes as a puppet master, not declaring himself dictator.

Likewise, I'm pretty sure we're meant to assume at some off-camera moment Lupin donned a mask again, and that we'll never know what he actually looks like.

I'd also like to point out that, while similar to the scene with the police that I took issue with in ep 23, things come off somewhat differently when it's Jigen and Goemon vs THE ENTIRE FREAKING U.S. ARMY!!! Like, at that point, we're so over the top, it really can't be taken seriously anymore (not in a bad way)
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:17 am Reply with quote
So this was probably the best actual Lupin TV series outside of The Woman called Fujiko Mine and the second best entry to come out of the franchise since way back to Castle of Cagliostro. That's quite an achievement.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:27 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Given the expression of unadulterated shock on Fujiko's face and how long she remained frozen, it's hard for me to imagine he revealed the same face. That we didn't see him put it back on doesn't convince me otherwise, since Lupin seems to be able to whip a mask on in a flash when he needs to.

Oh, but he did put the mask back on! It's so quick that you'll miss it if you blink, but at the end of the sequence where Lupin's face is in shadow, the building starts to shake. The scene briefly cuts to Ami announcing that the place is going to collapse. When it cuts back to Lupin...

He's moving his hand down his face, as if putting on a mask. What's more, he seems to be in the middle of standing up. Which is odd, because the last time the "camera" was on Lupin, he was already standing. Which means that during the moment the camera was on Ami, Lupin kneeled down for some reason: say, to retrieve a mask he'd thrown on the ground?

So yeah, I don't think we ever see Lupin's actual face. And perhaps we never have.

So now the question becomes: is this something that they're setting up for Part 6? Or is it simply to communicate to the audience that Lupin is full of secrets, even ones he keeps from the viewer?

Anyway, this was a terrific finale, just a thrilling ride the whole way. While I do wish Ami had agreed to join the gang (and her relationship with her dad was resolved a bit too neatly) it's clear we haven't seen the last of her. But in any case I think we might have a new champ for best main Lupin series ever. Viva Lupin indeed!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10