• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lupin the Third: Part 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

That we didn't see him put it back on doesn't convince me otherwise, since Lupin seems to be able to whip a mask on in a flash when he needs to.

Oh, but he did put the mask back on! It's so quick that you'll miss it if you blink

That's what I said? oO We didn't see him put it on, but we know he can do it quickly, so the evidence (including our extrapolations from what we did see) suggests that he did.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Ultimately my feelings on V are rather mixed. It’s certainly been some of the very best Lupin III we’ve ever had, and a lovely breath of fresh air for a franchise that’s been a bit long in the tooth for decades, if you don’t mind the mixed metaphor, but at the same time it introduced some ideas I really, really do not like. Ideas I don’t believe belong anywhere near the franchise. The idea that Lupin is some random title is by itself very dumb, but also a major (and unnecessary) retcon. The sooner it’s forgotten, the better. And speaking of insulting retcons, the idea that Lupin’s always wearing a literal mask go go die in a fire.

Of course, then there’s so much to love. Ami was a brilliant addition to the cast and, really, who doesn’t want to see her replace the ever-useless walking anachronism that is Goemon Ishikawa? And the stronger influence of LeBlanc’s stories is something I’ve always wanted to see in Lupin III, even if I still wish they’d gone further. (I’m still kinda bummed that after all here decades we’ve never seen a proper adaptation of, “The Arrest Of Arsene Lupin,” and the following short stories. I’d kill to see Lupin tormenting Zenigata from the defendants’ stand, making him question his own sanity in what ought to be his moment of triumph).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
and, really, who doesn’t want to see her replace the ever-useless walking anachronism that is Goemon Ishikawa?

Bite your tongue. Mad Evil or Very Mad
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Overall, I was quite happy with Lupin III Part V myself and enjoyed reading these reviews. Very Happy

Hopefully they'll bring back Albert for Part VI or at least for a new movie, TV special, etc.

Fluwm wrote:
The idea that Lupin is some random title is by itself very dumb, but also a major (and unnecessary) retcon. The sooner it’s forgotten, the better. And speaking of insulting retcons, the idea that Lupin’s always wearing a literal mask go go die in a fire.

1. If you're afraid that idea removes his family history...I don't think this is necessarily the case. It doesn't imply the people involved in that kind of competition for the title can't be related to the Lupin bloodline, whether directly or indirectly. It wasn't explored in detail, true, which leaves a lot of flexibility for any future attempts to address the topic. That said, I don't think they'll rush to explore it right now.

2. Considering that the sequence with the mask is apparently in part a reference to one scene from Monkey Punch's own manga, as seen here, I wouldn't portray it as an entirely new concept.

Furthermore, I also tend to think the underlying point of the scene in the context of the anime itself was more thematic than narrative in nature. Instead of trying to find a place for that scene within the in-universe history of Lupin, I believe there is more value in approaching it as a commentary on the character.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:36 am Reply with quote
For anyone wondering about "Amy" vs. "Ami," the word for "net" is pronounced with a rising pitch and the common name is pronounced with a flat (or falling) pitch.

Japanese instructors are always quick to reassure students that Japanese is not a tonal language and you don't need to worry about your pitch, but if you really want to be understood, it does make a big difference.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Yep. One of the best Lupin series yet. Maybe even better than part 1, my previous favorite. It did pretty much everything right. It perfectly understood what’s made the characters so great and enduring while also challenging their relationships, their place in the modern world, and the fundamentals of Lupin as a concept/character especially. The dialogue was some of the best in the series. Albert would make a great main villain for a part 6 and I hope that’s what happens because they’re very clearly setting up for a continuation of some sort. Hopefully that means more Ami (and Rebecca!) as well.

Only aspects that were somewhat weaker than part 4 was the animation and standalone episodes. Both are still great, with the animation/art being a notable step above most tv anime, but part 4 set a pretty high bar. And part 5 really excelled in the area of serialized arcs as opposed to standalone episodes, even if there were some truly amazing ones in there.

Also, “bite your tongue” x2 fluwm

I’ll see y’all again when part 6 (or whatever the next Lupin media will be) is inevitably announced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10